Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Approved Member

Default FM in SOW?

Just curious what has Oleg said about possibly updating the FM in SOW? I'm not a pilot (flown a cessna a few times but I'm hardly "experienced"), but I've heard from some that are that ROF's FM is a good bit better than IL-2. I can't comment myself like I said (and I couldn't care less about WW1 aerial combat TBH, not interesting to me), but, well... I always hope for the most realistic experience.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Approved Member

I believe Oleg said that the basic technology is similar to what we have in Il-2, but that there will be more detail (more calculations). There will also be something of a more advanced atmospheric model (at least that was what had been planned a couple years ago).

I'm sure Oleg can tell you more.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Approved Member

ROF ?
Can they really claim their FM's are as accurate, considering that 1914-18 is a good few years prior to 1939-45 worth in documentation references?

Pie in the Sky I'd say, and more like 'marketing hogwash'.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Approved Member

Well, I'll give ROF this:

Having flown many aerobatic types of similar horsepower, size & weight, though not your actual SE5a or Camel, the aircraft in ROF behave as I expect them to whereas in IL-2 that isn't the case always.

For me the standout shortcoming in the IL-2 FM is the low-speed handling, particularly on take-off (it takes ages to lift the tail, for instance, also try running the engine up to full power whilst holding the brakes and putting in forward elevator - does the aircraft stand on its nose? No.) and at the top of vertical zooms, where one can stall or spin without putting in any pro-spin or pro-stall control input.

All IMO of course.

W.

Last edited by RAF74_Winger; 04-05-2010 at 03:48 AM.