Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North

King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North Next game in the award-winning King’s Bounty series

Old 10-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Approved Member

Cool New V0.2 Available!

I want to thank everyone who posted here as it helped me think outside the box a little bit and allowed me to make the below changes to Bagyr so that you now have a chance at no loss on impossible and you don't have to go the Trapper Medal / Diversion route.

You don't even need to be level 5, I was level 4 when I got to the Shelter and needed to defeat the Dwarven and Elven stacks before I made level 5. I also did all the stacks except the big spider stack in the Catacombs.

Here's the text from the README and the download is at the bottom of the post.

Daert and Bagyr No Loss Impossible - Giving Them a Chance Mod

This mod is only for use with King's Bounty - Darkside.

Tired of scanning saves for the right spell combination to do Daert no loss?
Tired of having Bagyr using uncontrollable stacks of spiders and snakes just to survive or don't want to go Trapper Medal / Diversion?
Tired of the fact that Neoline has a chance at no loss impossible with any start, but Bagyr and Daert don't?

Now you can actually play impossible no loss with either Bagyr or Daert, while still being challenged and at least trying all the fights from the start through Whitehill! You also get to start with new troops so that you can get a flavor of them right from the beginning of the game and Bagyr can play like a Warrior and Daert like a Mage and you'll be having fun instead of getting frustrated!

This is a very small mod that implements changes to balance out Bagyr and Daert so that they have a chance at no loss just like Neoline on impossible difficulty level.

Installation Instructions (note that my base Darkside folder is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Darkside\):
  1. Extract the "mods" folder in this archive to: sessions\darkside\locations\ under you base Darskide folder (see above for an example of where it is located on my system) so that you have the following files:
    1. sessions\darkside\locations\mods\m_tristrem_start. embryos.loc
    2. sessions\darkside\locations\mods\m_vampire_start.e mbryos.loc
    3. sessions\darkside\locations\mods\hero.txt
  2. Play the game! You should note that the starting scenario for Deart and Bagyr are now different, giving you new options and the chance for no loss on impossible difficulty!
Uninstallation Instructions:
  1. Remove the mods folder from your sessions\darkside\locations folder (see above for where the base Darkside folder is located).
  2. That's it!
Use at your own risk, but I sincerely hope you now enjoy playing as Bagyr or Daert!

If you have any comments or questions, please post them to this forum topic: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=228683

Thanks, and good luck playing this mini mod!

Matt Caspermeyer

/C\/C\

This mod makes changes in the following files:
  • sessions\darkside\locations\m_tristrem_start\m_tri strem_start.embryos.loc
  • sessions\darkside\locations\m_vampire_start\m_vamp ire_start.embryos.loc
  • sessions\darkside\ses.kfs\hero.txt
Here are the changes:

V0.2 - 2014-10-11 (thanks to @wyatan, @ckdamascus, and @Ezrekiel for their comments as they were very helpful in me formulating the changes to Bagyr). Note that this version has changes to Bagyr from V0.1, whereas Daert is the same as V0.1.
  • m_tristrem_start.embryos.loc
    • Troops that will join Bagyr:
      • 5 Spirit Talkers
      • 1 Veteran Orc
      • 1 Shaman
      • 2 Catapults
      • 3 Orcs
    • Troll Shop:
      • Items (all other items are the same as the unmodded game):
        • 1 Symbol of Valor
      • Scrolls:
        • 1 to 2 Stone Skin
        • 1 to 2 Berserker
        • 1 to 2 random level 1 scrolls of 1 to 2 each
      • Units (Jotuns and Troll are still sold):
        • 5 Spirit Talkers
        • Either: 6 (additional) Spirit Talkers or 2 Catapults
        • 2 Veteran Orcs
        • 3 Shamans
  • m_vampire_start.embryos.loc
    • Troops that will join Daert:
      • 2 Female Vampires
      • 2 Cursed Ghosts
  • hero.txt
    • Bagyr:
      • Starting Leadership: 250
      • Starting Army:
        • 2 Catapults
        • 3 Orcs
        • 13 Furious Goblins
      • Spells:
        • Trap
      • Scrolls:
        • 1 Animal Call
    • Daert:
      • Starting Army:
        • 1 Necromancer
        • 1 Cursed Ghost
        • 1 Black Knight
      • Spells:
        • Poison Skull
        • Stone Skin
        • Weakness
      • Scrolls:
        • 1 Frost Grasp
        • 1 Kamikaze
        • 1 Evil Book
Good luck and I hope you enjoy playing the newer version if you want to play Bagyr. I'll leave V0.1 up so that people can still play that one if they want.

/C\/C\

Download V0.2 here:
Attached Files
File Type: zip DaertAndBagyrHaveAChance.zip (8.5 KB, 273 views)
Old 10-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Approved Member

It seems you understand a lot how to change stuff in the game. Is it possible Neoline top right item slot to be changed from placing only Regalia to Artifact/Regalia, same as Bagyr and Daert.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Approved Member

Matt - really great, had good fun using this. it remained a challenge whilst did make it doable (gave myself a trap scroll at start, just like using it).

i see that you have a thorough knowledge of the engine - i keep having crashes using the Last Hero spell. i know this has been an issue in the previous installment. any idea how to resolve it?

also, i noted you wrote that you had modded the "My first Alchemy set", making it state the amount of battle done. would be keen to have the same! the code / file would be much appreciated. would it be possible to just automate the rune donation upon reaching 10 battles?

lastly, the dragon eye item on the flying Island - somebody an idea if you need to equip it in order to have the benefit?

much thanks in advance - Elektra
Old 11-10-2014, 05:09 AM
Approved Member

Exclamation These are probably off topic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peshoo View Post
It seems you understand a lot how to change stuff in the game. Is it possible Neoline top right item slot to be changed from placing only Regalia to Artifact/Regalia, same as Bagyr and Daert.
It certainly is - just edit HERO.TXT (there is a slots {} heading under each hero - change 5=regalia to 5=regalia,artefact (note that is misspelled with an "e" instead of an "i")).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Matt - really great, had good fun using this. it remained a challenge whilst did make it doable (gave myself a trap scroll at start, just like using it).
Glad you're enjoying it!

I think that's a great scroll for Daert to use at the beginning of the game, where it is actually useful.

Quote:
see that you have a thorough knowledge of the engine - i keep having crashes using the Last Hero spell. i know this has been an issue in the previous installment. any idea how to resolve it?
This should be resolved by the developers, but I haven't seen any updates from them in a while so who knows if they are going to fix it.

We should probably start another topic on this - unresolved bugs. I actually don't use the spell, but the error is most likely in the LUA files and can be fixed if you can repeat the procedure. In my modding of TL, I ran into all sorts of bugs that I had to use the debugger to fix, but I had to be able to repeat it, otherwise there is way too much guesswork.

If you can repeat the crash then I hope you send the save game file with instructions on how to repeat the crash to the developers to have them fix it.

If, in the end, they don't resolve the problem we can try to fix it ourselves, but once again it relies on a repeatable series of events from a save game.

Quote:
also, i noted you wrote that you had modded the "My first Alchemy set", making it state the amount of battle done. would be keen to have the same! the code / file would be much appreciated. would it be possible to just automate the rune donation upon reaching 10 battles?
Yah, I mean to open another topic with modding DS where we can post our mods. I actually have it modded now where you don't have to babysit the darn thing and can just cash in for runes when you get back to checking your inventory. I always forget about these items that give something after a certain number of wins and so now when you use it, it just subtracts 10 wins from the total and so long as your totals wins are 10 or more you can keep using it. For example, if you go 24 fights without using it, you can use it twice and then you'll be down to 4 wins and get 2 random runes.

I mean to start a new topic soon, but I've been doing some more modding with my TL H3B mod (just fixing bugs mostly) and need to finish that first. I'll try to do it soon, please be patient...

Quote:
astly, the dragon eye item on the flying Island - somebody an idea if you need to equip it in order to have the benefit?

much thanks in advance - Elektra
I don't remember that item, but I just looked it up: dragon_eye - it needs to be equipped it looks like.

/C\/C\
Old 11-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
i see that you have a thorough knowledge of the engine - i keep having crashes using the Last Hero spell. i know this has been an issue in the previous installment. any idea how to resolve it?
No idea how to resolve it (had a quick look at the time through the script files, and nothing stood out as an obvious bug, but at that point I hadn't isolated yet the exact repro steps), but here's how to deal with it when it's cast by an enemy hero:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/289520...9742693482518/
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Approved Member

Hi Matt - has been some time

about to start a fresh one. would you have any solution available for the last hero bug? it is still there and so annoying to re-do battles.

also, your code on the automated chemical set rune would be much appreciated!

thanks as always - Elektra
Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Approved Member

Unhappy Working on another project now...

Unfortunately, I've been sucked away on another project and I haven't had any time to work on modding any King's Bounty for about the last two months.

Since they are still releasing updates for Ice & Fire, you'd think they'd still be working on fixing bugs in Darkside.

Have you sent in the problem to 1CC? They should hopefully be able to fix the problem (if they aren't aware of it).

It'd be really nice in the Devs could fix these problems...

/C\/C\
Old 03-17-2015, 05:08 AM
Approved Member

Hi MattCaspermeyer
And many thanks for creating this fix. Orc and Vampire class were horribly unbalanced in the game i couldn't no-loss win the prologue with them without your fix (mod).

I tried both versions. First version was hard since you had to completely rely on diversion skill and hope for lucky placement of its trap and use trap spell which is weaker. It was hard but i managed to do that difficult spider stack (the one that is sitting in middle of some eggs) after many reloads. But second version is excellent, i was able to beat everything with orc class no-loss (on normal difficulty).

One thing though, one of the quests always give leadership with average amount of ~20, could you fix it so it always give us no less than 25 leadership? Else we can't always buy all available troops (lvl 5 units excluded of course) without some restarts.

But Vampire is still unbalanced. I couldn't beat that big spider stack at the catacombs and was forced to leave it alone. Human stack at the shelter was marked as deadly and was so difficult to win no-loss.
At whitehill first stack was marked very strong, second was marked dealy and the third was marked as INVINCIBLE. I made through the first two stack but as far as i see the third is not do able no-loss. And this is on normal difficulty, we are supposed to be able to them no-loss on impossible difficulty, right?

I have attached my save which is from gog version of the game. Btw, GOG version is on v1.5.1048.1751 if that counts. Probably gog is behind steam .

As i noticed you had those wolf riders removed from second version of the fix, because you are supposed to get them after forming a special order later on.

As i understand same thing goes for female vampires. In my demoness play through after i convinced that female scientist to go to the shelter, i went to the shelter and chatted with her. There was a line regarding these female vampires. Something like "i met a new sort of vampires which were female", which starts their quest. I had to bring 10 female vampires to her, so she could "copy" them. Alas i accidentally deleted the save in question and my quicksaves were overwritten when i played other races.
So i think they should be removed and replaced by other units, since it is not right to have them when you never saw them before and are supposed to make these "new" female vampires through that quest.

Also they are not anything special, their "long attack" is pointless when their base attack is of no retaliation sort, and you have to beat the enemy hard before you can you their "call" ability on them and on top of these, they can't regenerate their numbers.

So i think ancient vampires are good replacements.

Now other two classes have decent troops with lots of variety but Vampire only has four different sort of troops. Demoness has blood priestess which is able to resurrect your units and give you free units out of thin air, with their sacrifice ability (at first you are limited to resurrect low level units because their numbers are too low). And orcs have shamans which are able to heal your units every turn. But undeads can only resurrect by picking Eviln which is dropped randomly and is not reliable, so we should have maximum number of normal and ancient vampires.

A single black knight is no where as good as a single demon, because the demon can counter everyone that attacks him and also gets additional turns when he is attacked, which means he can inflict lots of damage and accumulate additional rage for you. It is not as good as a single veteran orc as well since veteran orcs after a few hits can gobble rage potion and counter anyone as well, also they counter enemy counter attacks which is pretty good against no retaliation enemies plus they can evade enemy attacks (and on top of that, they can run everywhere if you get enough adrenaline and run multiple times, which is good when you are going to defend a weak ranged unit), but what can a single black knight do other that their one-time "run" and weak ranged attack?
I think their number should be added to maximum, so they can hold stronger stacks back for a while longer.

And those cursed ghosts are not of any real use against fire arrows and ranged attack of inquisitors and the fact that their soul drain ability is bugged and makes them unable to resurrect dead units, adds to their uselessness. i always had to keep them on initial spot, because the further they go the more effective enemy ranged units become, and in close range they always use fire arrows and kill cursed ghosts easily. Also they have low hp.

Also since undead army only has necromancers as their ranged units, with no ranged special talent and it is not easy to reach ranged units of the enemy with melee units, their number should be maximized.

I am not sure, but a few skeleton archer could help to bring big spider stack at the catacombs.

Undead has too few leadership, so why not maximum every unit to even things?

Btw, since you improved Orc's leadership from 200 to 250, it would be nice and neat to improve undead's leadership from 180 to 200 and demoness's leadership from 270 to straight 300. 180 and 270 are strange numbers and don't go with 250.

Hope you can fix everything that is mentioned above and give us a new and better version.

-- Edit --

And one thing in regard to shelter stores:
Demon shop sell all lvl 1-3 troops, if you could make orc and undead stores to sell all lvl 1-3 troops that would even things in that aspect.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1426519565.zip (848.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by jahes64; 03-17-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:59 AM
Approved Member

Unfortunately, I have no time to perform any changes to the mod due to all my time being consumed on another project.

I'm not sure if you're using your spells correctly for Daert.

Frost Grasp and Kamikaze are very effective against the spider stacks and don't forget your Evil Book.

The starting units will bring you to the Shelter without any issues (I played a couple of times on impossible so normal should be cake) as long as you grab all the crystals and get your Evil Book at least to level 1 (if you get it to level 2 even better).

Note that you may have to skip the big Spider stack in the Catacombs - no biggie you can always fight them later.

Evil Book is your key to winning most battles and any troops that you find dying easily against the shelter stacks stick them in your garrison / reserve. Check the no loss posts here for other information to help you with your strategy (I have quite a few in the impossible thread where I was able to do no loss Daert with the original game files if you got a certain spell from the Ore Cart by the Dwarf castle).

Good luck - keep trying!

/C\/C\
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCaspermeyer View Post
Unfortunately, I have no time to perform any changes to the mod due to all my time being consumed on another project.

I'm not sure if you're using your spells correctly for Daert.

Frost Grasp and Kamikaze are very effective against the spider stacks and don't forget your Evil Book.

The starting units will bring you to the Shelter without any issues (I played a couple of times on impossible so normal should be cake) as long as you grab all the crystals and get your Evil Book at least to level 1 (if you get it to level 2 even better).

Note that you may have to skip the big Spider stack in the Catacombs - no biggie you can always fight them later.

Evil Book is your key to winning most battles and any troops that you find dying easily against the shelter stacks stick them in your garrison / reserve. Check the no loss posts here for other information to help you with your strategy (I have quite a few in the impossible thread where I was able to do no loss Daert with the original game files if you got a certain spell from the Ore Cart by the Dwarf castle).

Good luck - keep trying!

/C\/C\
Hi bro

I hope you find some spare time and tune the vampire as well. Just play all 3 races to the point where you can refill your army (without you ignore any enemy stack on the way) and you will see how hard it is with the vampire

It would be better if we could defeat all enemies without having to scribe scrolls and waste crystals before we get Bibliophile lvl 3. After all for a mage magic crystal are very important.

When i was playing bagyr with second version of your fix, that strong spider stack was so easy, that at first i thought you have decreased their numbers to half the original, but end-fight window proved me wrong.

But the vampire is not half as strong, troop wise.
I found it impossible to even kill that strong spider stack with losses, since they were strong enough that they could kill my troops with one strike. With other races i had slight difficulty to deal with them.

Dwarf stack at shelter was easy (marked as very strong though)

Elf stack at shelter was not so hard because archers were so far away and faun's nightmare talent and werewolf's howl talent were useless because of undead's natural resistances.

But human stack was hard, what with healing of priests which was pretty effective with no distance penalty and poweful projectile of inquisitors and on top of that i had archers also guardsmen were evading blows all the time while my single black knight was doomed to suffer lots of damage. it took me a number of reloads to win it no loss, since i only had a single necromancer to deal with them and only in first 2 rounds which melee attackers were not close, i could use spells on ranged enemies, but i managed.

But last stack at whitehill is really invincible that i can't win it no loss. I even have diversion lvl 2 with 2 traps but can't beat 23 swordsman, 17 priests of light, 13 guardsman, another 16 priests and 14 bowman. Priest's unavoidable kills aside, per what you suggested I even used evil books as tank to absorb damage but melee units of the enemy are so strong that they kill the book with 2 blows and these evil books are pretty useless with their randomness. And Kamikaze is pretty hard to use, if i attach it to melee units, it blows when they reach my troops and if i attach them on healers and ranged units that doesn't help either, since it goes off pretty late and healer already healed my units by then.

I really think we should have maximum number of at least black knights and necromancers, female vampires should be replaced with ancient ones and normal vampires should be added too.

With orcs it was very easy distracting everyone with 2 totems every round and dealing damage at the same time with trap, catapults and hyena riders

And with demoness it was easy as well. I could throw two powerful fireballs at ranged units, hit them with fire arrows spell and then teleport demon to enemy side so he can hit other weak melee troops while i bring a weak ranged unit nearby and hit them with blood priestess in round 1 and after that i had nothing to worry about.

I think we shouldn't rely solely on the spell book and like other races we should get a decent army, strong enough to make us able to defeat map guardian of Monteville, so we can get there and refill our army.

With demoness we can go to Atrixus and get strong troops and refill our army right away.

And with orcs you can go Tristrem from catacombs, then exist (since you can't avoid the nearby troops), go to the port and take a ship to there and get your army filled.

But with undead we can't refill our army before we defeat that guardian.

Last edited by jahes64; 03-18-2015 at 10:32 AM.