Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
@Freddie
.....IL-2 is neat but compared to what Birds of Prey delivers it's just way behind, technically..........
You gotta be kidding!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySchmidt View Post
With the pending release it seems there could be some tension within this forum, how say you all, are you tense or just hanging back waiting?
As far as SoW goes.. I am a Vulcan till I get it in my hands..
Old 10-24-2010, 02:37 AM
Approved Member

I have been waiting for George RR Martin's next book for five years. The author said it was almost finished at the time the last book was released.

I waited more than 10 years for Team Fortress II to be released.

I can do this SoW thing standing on my head.

Splitter
Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
I have been waiting for George RR Martin's next book for five years. The author said it was almost finished at the time the last book was released.

I waited more than 10 years for Team Fortress II to be released.

I can do this SoW thing standing on my head.

Splitter
LOL! A man of patience indeed.

Personally, I'm not too worried at all about how long it takes for Oleg and crew to deliver the final cut to us all, I can be very patient when I have the impression I am waiting for something of quality and I have a very good feeling we're in for something very special from what I am seeing from the updates so far.

I do get the feeling however, a lot will depend on how much power you have under the hood with this baby. I do intend to purchase new hardware to get the most from this new release, but I won't be making any purchases until I have had some time with it installed and well tested first.

I've gotta say those new cockpits are looking just absolutely stunning, I just know I'm going to get shot down with the distraction of taking in all the eye candy...

Cheers, CS.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
@Freddie
IL-2 is neat but compared to what Birds of Prey delivers it's just way behind, technically. Mods can help a tiny bit but especially vegetation, weather effects etc. just can't be compensated for. :p
1. Birds of Prey based on IL-2 code given them by license from our side.
2. In terms of non precise 3D graphics it is'nt better than Il-2. More smooth lines and greater size textures that are not done with the reference to blueprints can't make planes and cockpits better than original - taken from Il-2. And on some planes therr is used one the same cockpit for all types of aircraft in a series.
3. In temrs of photorealistic colors it is also not even close to Il-2.
4. From Il-2 there is taken a lot of coding thinds, but if to speak to FM, DM etc, - it is done simplified comparing to Il-2. It is done especially for other then Il-2 auditory of users... for these that play mostly arcadeish games. Its not bad, because such users are the most in the world.
5. There will be never so many things modelled in Il-2 by original team and third party. Il-2 now is game encyclopedy which isn't possible to repeat in years.

In overal BoP - it is other target group on the market.

What is really better in BoP comparing to Il-2 series:

1. Better looking cities from altitude
2. Selfshading that isn't present in Il-2 (moving shadows in cockpits, etc)
3. Some visual effects, like smoke or fire (however are not realistic from the physics point of view)

Compare now Il-2 series and BoP the main difference is target group of users:

Il-2 for the great amount of users from beginners and real pilots that want a sim.
BoP more oriented for the arcade players, not the sims. Or for the players that thinking they are playing the game called sim.

I hope BoB will be for all these above.

Arcade style of games are also interesting...just becasue they bring some time more money...
Old 10-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
What is really better in BoP comparing to Il-2 series:

1. Better looking cities from altitude
2. Selfshading that isn't present in Il-2 (moving shadows in cockpits, etc)
3. Some visual effects, like smoke or fire (however are not realistic from the physics point of view)
Agreed, and it's not enough to make the difference!!

I bought BoP expecting something new and exciting but found within a week or so that the more attractive cities and more pronounced higher definition renderings, do make a better game. BoP maybe a more attractive game on the surface, but trust me is not the better game experience by quite a margin.

I guess it's the age old lesson here guys, you can't always judge a book by it's cover...

Cheers, CS
Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
You gotta be kidding!
Hell no I'm not!

Just watch this and tell me if you know of any mod that can replicate this awesomeness in IL-2.

Huge amount of vegitation, terrain elevation with fitting, relatively crisp, textures. On top of that this amazing shading and weather effects, sounds, great city / object detail etc.
Maybe I'm wrong and there are mods out there that can do the same in IL-2 but I didn't find them yet and in fact modding can be a pain in the butt as I've experienced.

@Oleg
I agree with you on all the points. To be honest I never played BoP because of them.
The worst thing really was the coloring. And the cover image! With 3 or 4 spits ganging up on that poor little Ju 87!

However, I still love things like foliage, shading etc. They really make a BIG difference. That's some of the stuff I'm really looking forward to in SoW:BoB and that can probably not simply get added as a mod to the IL-2 1946 edition.
Weather and athmosphere make a game "athmospheric". Pun intended. Also all that ground detail is very amazing and makes the game immersive. For example all those little villages etc. - they look as if they'd belong there and it kind of makes the fighting more intense.

I'd always prefer IL-2 over IL-2 WoP and BoP. But personally I think that even mods can't keep up with the engine development at the core anymore. So I'm looking forward to the new game and in fact IL-2 has an honorable age anyways. If the fanbase embraces the new title with the same enthusiasm I'm sure it will be awesome.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Approved Member

Great! Indeed Il2 has grown to a size with planes seldom seen.

But tense? No way..i'm not tense..... Achiel!!! where are my pillsssss!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 AM
Approved Member

Default :)

well, waiting is apart of life, you wait for many things. Just dont let the wait become part of the waiting so you are waiting more on the wait than the wait it self.....this dosent make sence i know but that is how i wait.....

Eve online is my wating place i can wait....
Old 10-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Just watch this and tell me if you know of any mod that can replicate this awesomeness in IL-2.
I had a hard time recognizing anything in the first half of that video. The HDR effects which make the sky white and the cockpit black are hideous. And the overcast cloud layer is a mess - couldn't even figure out if it's above or below the plane from the looks alone. Add to that the strange mecury rain and you have a good example about how not to create immersive effects.

At least the second part showed some better scenes; the forests arestunning and the ground textures are simply very well done (even after being filtered to oblivion and back). Although I'm still feeling that the maps aren't to scale; seems the landscape moves too slowly. Hard to say though without playing it myself, which I care even less about after this video.