Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Approved Member

Default Two question I need answering to enjoy this game.

Two really easy questions for someone to answer because I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

1) I have the brake set to one of my buttons on the joystick, but when I press it after I have landed the plane crashes forwards and I end up on my nose with propeller broken . I have tried just tapping it after I land with no luck and was wondering if anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong? Should you use the brake on an axis?

2) What causes the plane to shudder slightly and the speed dial to bounce about when you seem to be doing everything right? What could cause this or is it natural?

Last edited by PotNoodles; 05-18-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Approved Member

You will want to slow to below 30 or so MPH if you have enough runway when applying the brakes. Also, make sure you don't have any "hold" modifier on your brake key. Play with the brakes. Toy with them. Don't be too heavy handed (or footed )or you're sure to finish up a$$ over tea kettle. In WWII pilots were trained to use as little brake as possible to avoid brake overheating and nose overs; this is a realistic aspect of the sim.

If your altitude or engine load changes appreciably, your mixture setting can now be inappropriate for your condition and can give alot of trouble. One indication of this is instruments suddenly getting bouncy, or untoward noises from the plane. Keep an eye on your exhaust flames. They should be a pretty blue at all stacks. If they aren't, lean or richen to taste. Also if you have a closed radiator and your motor overheats, you will see alot of yellow flame from one or more exhaust stacks. This typically means you have cooked your engine and need to land to repair it. All of these phenomena are accompanied by sounds; use your ears and eyes to monitor your motor and you will stay out of most trouble.
I hope this helps.
16 gigs Kingston PC 1600 RAM
EVGA GTX 580 3gigs DDR 5 VRAM
Razer Megalodon Gaming headset
Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar combo
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals
TrackIR Pro

Last edited by chris455; 05-18-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris455 View Post
You will want to slow to below 30 or so MPH if you have enough runway when applying the brakes. Also, make sure you don't have any "hold" modifier on your brake key. Play with the brakes. Toy with them. Don't be too heavy handed (or footed )or you're sure to finish up a$$ over tea kettle. In WWII pilots were trained to use as little brake as possible to avoid brake overheating and nose overs; this is a realistic aspect of the sim.

If your altitude or engine load changes appreciably, your mixture setting can now be inappropriate for your condition and can give alot of trouble. One indication of this is instruments suddenly getting bouncy, or untoward noises from the plane. Keep an eye on your exhaust flames. They should be a pretty blue at all stacks. If they aren't, lean or richen to taste. Also if you have a closed radiator and your motor overheats, you will see alot of yellow flame from one or more exhaust stacks. This typically means you have cooked your engine and need to land to repair it. All of these phenomena are accompanied by sounds; use your ears and eyes to monitor your motor and you will stay out of most trouble.
I hope this helps.
I am flying the Hurricane at the moment and when I am preparing to land this is when the shudder happens most. When I ease of the throttle to slow down the plane starts to shake slightly and the speed gauge bounces about. I have tried keeping the propeller corse as well as fine but I still get the same results. The fuel is rich but i'm damned if I know what I am doing wrong.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Approved Member

Pet

Also keep that stick all the way back after touchdown, its the same with any full size tail dragger. Then brake as Chris says
Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotNoodles View Post
Two really easy questions for someone to answer because I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

1) I have the brake set to one of my buttons on the joystick, but when I press it after I have landed the plane crashes forwards and I end up on my nose with propeller broken . I have tried just tapping it after I land with no luck and was wondering if anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong? Should you use the brake on an axis?
Since the patch and hotfix, (if you are in a spit) you find it easier to cut your fuel just before touch-down, otherwise your A/C will roll forever before slowing down.

It's not a "safe" way to fly (if you need power to go around), but at least you will come to a halt.

Don't touch the brakes until you're going really slow... see above posts on how slow. And then, just tap them, provided your key is set to the right control option.

Last edited by pstyle; 05-18-2012 at 01:11 PM.