Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minvid View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...my-iraq-attack

War follows no rules. It is a matter of fear and terror, and of silly people with guns in their hands.
ROFL, more anti-American hatred? I've seen that video several times. It certainly looked like the camera man was armed, that camera looked like a weapon. Then he crouches and looks around the corner with what looks like the front of an RPG.

Mistake? Maybe. Hanging around with other armed people, possibly insurgents, to get a story is bound to be dangerous. That was a good shoot.

Notice that the helicopter kept moving the entire time. Why? RPG's, anti aircraft missiles, and small arms fire. They were obviously in a potentially "hot" situation.

Hind sight is always 20/20.

Did you know that Navy Seals were brought up on charges because a terrorist, Ahmed Hashim Abed, claimed they punched him when capturing him? Thankfully, they beat the charges and Abed walked away (ok, into custody) with a bloody lip.

Now, compare a country bringing soldiers up on charges for maybe punching a terrorist against...oh...I dunno...beheading someone on camera.

Who are the bad guys again?

Sorry, I am tired of the "warmongering, hateful, murderous Americans" stuff. If the US wanted to kill civilians, there would be few left at this point. Mistakes happen. Individuals may commit crimes. But the US military goes out of its' way to minimize collateral damage, often putting its' own troops in harm's way to do so.

Splitter

Last edited by Splitter; 12-08-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
ROFL, more anti-American hatred? I've seen that video several times. It certainly looked like the camera man was armed, that camera looked like a weapon. Then he crouches and looks around the corner with what looks like the front of an RPG.

Mistake? Maybe. Hanging around with other armed people, possibly insurgents, to get a story is bound to be dangerous. That was a good shoot.

Notice that the helicopter kept moving the entire time. Why? RPG's, anti aircraft missiles, and small arms fire. They were obviously in a potentially "hot" situation.

Hind sight is always 20/20.

Did you know that Navy Seals were brought up on charges because a terrorist, Ahmed Hashim Abed, claimed they punched him when capturing him? Thankfully, they beat the charges and Abed walked away (ok, into custody) with a bloody lip.

Now, compare a country bringing soldiers up on charges for maybe punching a terrorist against...oh...I dunno...beheading someone on camera.

Who are the bad guys again?

Sorry, I am tired of the "warmongering, hateful, murderous Americans" stuff. If the US wanted to kill civilians, there would be few left at this point. Mistakes happen. Individuals may commit crimes. But the US military goes out of its' way to minimize collateral damage, often putting its' own troops in harm's way to do so.

Splitter
I've come to understand that it avails little to explain anything to such individuals, mate. Comparison and reason means little to them, so long as they spout the "party line". Whoever does not agree is evil, and there is no other option. That their own way of life might be in danger means little to them as they have long ago given over individual thought to "collective thought". The simple fact is that "we" must not only fight for ourselves but for "them", as the two are one in the same. It's not fair, but it's the fact.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtome View Post
Ghengis Khan always killed all of his enemy in battle to make sure they couldn't raise an army to kill his army.

Stalin had 22.000 Polish officers murdered one night in a forest - that would make a great commander too I guess?
Both were f'ing bastards, and the move itself is actually incredible stupid.

Last edited by swiss; 12-08-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Approved Member

Read this and the case it settled. Humanity may have come a long way, but self-preservation of body and conscience is still our prime motive in life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
Old 12-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Approved Member

I wasn't talking about humanity.

If you conquer land you probably intend to keep and exploit it.
Manpower helps a lot, I guess...
BTW: Most of the armies that time weren't exactly freedom fighters, you should fear your personal slave way more than a defeated army composed of mercenaries.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Approved Member

And that's why the Germans called the Shermans "Tommy Cookers" and the Allies referred to them as "Ronsons" because they lit the first time, every time. Scary.

Splitter
Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
You might be tired of the sentiment, but there sure are a lot of civilians tired of the conditions (loss of infrastructure) and death brought by an occupying force.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian265 View Post
You might be tired of the sentiment, but there sure are a lot of civilians tired of the conditions (loss of infrastructure) and death brought by an occupying force.
Yeah, they were much better off before. You could tell by the way they sulked Saddam's statue was torn down....

They would be much better off if we built them schools and hospitals....oh wait....

Splitter
Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yeah, they were much better off before. You could tell by the way they sulked Saddam's statue was torn down....

Splitter
Bad example. The US admitted eventually the whole thing was staged as a PR/spin event and they rounded up a bunch of civilians and got them to pull it down once the cameras were ready to roll.

Also the main guy that climbed the statue embarrassed the US a few years later by saying he regretted it and the US occupation was actually worse than Saddam.

You need to pick better examples