Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Approved Member

Smile BF110 Startup issue -Sorted

Hi all I am playing the British offline campaign and I am up to the mission where I have to ferry the captured bf110.

I have seen Jimbosmith's bf110 startup video and can get the aircraft started, however I have an issue where the maximum engine revs I can get is 1250 RPM. From the collated information that has been put together I need 2300 RPM for takeoff.

Any suggestions? I have played around a little with things like prop pitch, but that hasn't made any difference.

Got it sorted - It was prop pitch. It looks like it was reversed on my controls to the Hurricane and Spitfire. When I adjusted the pitch, the props/engines seemed slow to react compared to the Hurri/Spit.

Last edited by mop; 02-04-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Sorted
Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

the 109/110 pitch controlls ARE reversed to the others in game.
Why? ........ WIP perhaps.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Approved Member

True, it was accidentally reversed in a patch and hasn't been corrected yet. It is however a reported and known issue.

As for the response, the reason it seems slow is that you are directly manipulating the blade angle in the 109/110 and that's what the clock-like instrument displays. To see the actual effect you watch the RPM gauge and there the effects are much faster.

How propellers generally work is that each blade angle gives different RPM depending on how fast you are going and how much throttle is applied.

The RAF aircraft that have constant speed propellers automatically adjust this to keep a constant RPM. Essentially, the pilot sets the desired RPM and the system does its best to maintain it. There are still limits to how much the prop blade angle can change: even at full low RPM setting you might see your RPM climb in a high speed dive, just like even at full high RPM setting you will get very low RPM when sitting on the ground with the engine at idle throttle.

The 109/110 use a different system. The pilot controls the angle of the blades directly, but this angle produces a different RPM for different airspeed and throttle combinations. What the pilot does is watch his RPM gauge and adjust the prop pitch angle accordingly. As long as you keep the respective buttons pressed (or sliders deflected) the pitch will change. The moment you release your key (or center your slider) the pitch motors return to neutral and it stays where it is.

With a bit of experience you can not only adjust it by sound (enabling you to look outside the cockpit for bandits, instead of at the RPM gauge), but also anticipate what you will need and start setting it in advance for optimal results: for example, if i'm going to dive i don't wait for the RPM to climb, i start coarsening the pitch as i'm pushing the stick forward.

It takes some getting used to (2-3 flights) but its fast enough to give you the control you need, plus it's possible to really fine tune your RPM. I generally have no problems maintaining around 2300RPM, right within the engine's power band, even as i'm going through maneuvers.