Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
.. and what's so amazing about clickable pits .. Frankly using my mouse when flying kind of takes away from the immersion for me.. I'm happy if the function is there and can be assigned to some control.. but that's me...
From my point of view, clickable pits add immersion by allowing the user to interact with the operation of the aircraft visually.
I like to fly simulations, so that I can operate the aircraft as per the handbook, so using a keyboard key to switch fuel cocks on or off, or set a gun-sight etc... doesn't really float my boat. Also technology, including games, are mean't to progress and become more advanced, I was pushing keyboard keys 10 years ago, but I like the interactive approach.
Don't get me wrong I still use keys for some things, but that's because I use the HAT still, so adjusting rads for instance, in-flight would just increase workload. But with the advent of TrackIR, clickable pits go hand in hand with it, plus its the natural progression until everyone is using touchscreens, so if your going to brand something a "simulator", it should simulate.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Luthier was also clearly passionate, when will people see he is actually the real victim here and Oleg is the sod that ran off before the shit hit the fan!
What project did Luthier ever work on that fully delivered? I am only aware of his lead on Pacific Fighters and it was absolute garbage.

Quote:
From my point of view, clickable pits add immersion by allowing the user to interact with the operation of the aircraft visually.
Moving a mouse cursor around does not provide any extra "immersion". What difference does it make seeing a switch move due to a mouse click or a keyboard button press?

The time spent on the "clickible" cockpit items could have been spent on other things.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I'm happy if the function is there and can be assigned to some control.
Me too. But if they still go the old IL-2 route of "press I to start plane and w1N t3H w4R", I'm pretty sure I will spend my money on something else.

People seem to forget there's a new standard in the CFS world as it comes to flight management / operation and FM & systems modelling complexity, and that standard is DCS. Not WWII, true, but warts and all it still sets the current bar for realistic sims.

Now RoF doesn't have any complexity as it comes to actually operating the kites, but that, I feel, is still excusable because the planes really are so rudimentary. WWII-era planes however are operationally quite complex already, and a proper sim should take that into account as well. Just my $0.02 though...
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Approved Member

I'll reserve judgement until I see some images and vids from BOS. Until then I'm back on the fence that I've been on for +2 years here, and happily spending my flying-time zipping along doing CAS/BAI-missions in my Hog, or CAP in my Su-33 (DCS wtf).

If BOS doesn't seem interesting, well, then I won't bother picking it up. It's up to 1C/777 to make it as appealing to me as possible, and I'm a VERY hard person to please when it comes to flightsims. I've been spoiled over the years