Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelansir View Post
I wasn't complaining about a darn thing, just pointing out a book that the author takes the time to include details flying a fighter.
No, I was the one who was complaining; I simply pointed out that the Anderson quote is inevitably brought up (usually from multiple posters) if anyone suggests that the current trim model of the Merlin powered P-51s is excessive.

There is a school of thought in the flight sim community that if it is harder, it must be more realistic; they also seem to think that newer, heavier and faster must also mean more complicated because that would mean harder to control (and therefore, more realistic). But the reality is that as technology becomes more advanced, it always becomes simpler and easier to use. Compare your DVD or DVR to the VHS systems I was using (at great expense, I might add) in the 1980s. The DVD/DVR is smaller, lighter, more energy efficient and much, much easier for you to operate.

While Anderson's book is very well written and generally accurate, that one sentence does not make the thousands of paragraphs and sentences written on the subject of trimming the Mustang before and since invalid, and most of the material on the subject says that the Mustang (like most later designs of that era) was better than its predecessors and most of its contemporaries because it was easier to fly and keep under control than the other fighters of its day, not just because it was merely faster and had longer range.

cheers

horseback
Old 06-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseback View Post
There is a school of thought in the flight sim community that if it is harder, it must be more realistic; they also seem to think that newer, heavier and faster must also mean more complicated because that would mean harder to control (and therefore, more realistic).
BIG LOL!!!

Also keep in mind, that almost all aircraft have been made strange by this particular perception of reality. This is not new to the sim, but it is nice when someone take the whole picture, and not just a biased one.

Still, all these discusions on aircraft performance, being it differential or not, start again every time a new patch appears, maybe with different actors, but it nevertheless starts again.

Tagert got a good tool to analyze this, while he still used that name. It enabled him to process other peoples tracks. With some help you could achieve many more test conditions, and got some in game behaviours faster, with the addition of joy inputs to discard player wrong inputs.

The trim retard was introduced because of some complain of cheating by people that love to play in horizontal furballs on dogfight servers. Nothing to do with reality.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar View Post
EDIT: I don't see a problem for wonder woman view though. But for the sim I would rather like to live without even more neon flickering hud messages.
Which addresses one of my repeated requests for options in the game:

The Ability to Turn Stuff OFF If You Don't Like It.

If you don't like seeing some message (or all messages) described on the HUD, or if you're a server admin who thinks that they're unrealistic or favor one side unfairly, you just create an option in the GUI or conf.ini that allows you to turn them off.

It's a simple solution, it makes everyone happy, and it can't be that hard to code.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
and it can't be that hard to code.
Classic quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Approved Member

Here is the final (and complete) set of charts for 10,000 ft/3000m.
I’ve re-organized and re-formatted the charts, so that the basic data is below the chart. Remember that the longer and flatter the curve, the faster the acceleration.

A few things to remember; weight vs power should govern the curve at the lower speed range and as speed increases, the effect of drag increases exponentially and eventually becomes the primary limiting factor. A heavy aircraft may not accumulate speed as quickly, but I expect that once achieved, it should not shed it quickly and that the greater weight will add momentum in the higher ranges so that minor changes in level flight will have somewhat less effect, and even less effect if the flat plate drag is low. I have the (general) US fighter drag and weight to power data from America’s Hundred Thousand, but I haven’t found the data for the Spitfire or other aircraft, and I would love to get that.

Those desiring specific comparisons may PM me and I’ll be glad to make a chart or send you the data.

I’m taking this program to the main forums; I’ve started doing the sea-level (100m) testing, and plan to take series at 5,000 ft/1525m, 15,000/4600 and 25,000/7600 to satisfy my own curiosity and hopefully encourage some debate about not only the raw speed data, but how the depictions of the cockpit instruments and the trim model affect how you fly issues.

cheers

horseback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bf 109 SERIES.jpg (201.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SPITFIREPALOOZA.jpg (217.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg MID-WAR FW 190 SERIES, 10K.jpg (290.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SOVIET FIGHTERS, MID-WAR 10K.jpg (182.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg JAPANESE FIGHTERS 10K.jpg (302.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Approved Member

AAAAHHH!!!

Only a five document limit!

But wait, there's more!

cheers

horseback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USAAF FIGHTERS 10K.jpg (229.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg USN-USMC FIGHTERS 10K.jpg (197.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SPIT VS LW SAMPLER.jpg (287.3 KB, 11 views)