Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Assault Squad

Men of War: Assault Squad Sequel to the critically acclaimed real-time tactics game Men of War

Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Default Mines and tank Traps

Because mines and tank obstacles take so long to lay down, engineer units are almost worthless in capture the flag assault zone games. They will all get killed or run for cover before they can get one or two mines out. Your other squads also get killed because you have to spend so much time managing the mine placement. That's too bad, such a waste, since it would bring good element of strategy if they were useful. This could all be fixed by reducing the time needed to place mines and tank obstacles to 1/4 the time they now take. Hopefully change for AS2. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Approved Member

No, I don't feel that way. You still can place mine in certain assault zones: These in your back! Of course you can't place mines in a hot zone that is under constant fire and ran over again and again. That would be too easy for that player who controls the zone for the first time. And it would result in constant artillery fire on that place to clear the mines.

Engineers are not worthless, place the mines in areas where you expect fast counterattacks by light verhicles or inflitrating infantry. Place obstacles to guide the enemy into the mine field. Mines are defensive weapons, they are worthless on the offense (as long as you can't throw them into enemy controlled area). So in case you know you overextended your advance and expect a decisive blow against your troops, just start placing a minefield a bit behind them, so you can retreat safely and let the enemy run into the traps.

Reducing the installation time means more obstacles and that would let the field end up in a maze of steel, barbed wire and mines - and tracked tanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

I agree It would not be good to have a maze of mines and traps everywhere, and spamming it, so don't make it too easy to place them. However, I'd say they are too hard to place now and this is validated by the fact that they are almost never used by anyone. Yes, I've tried to place mines in the rear and predict where enemy might beak through but the cost/time benefit to doing it is currently not worth it. Maybe slightly reduce the deployment time until the right balance is found. I would also consider increasing the cost of the unit while reducing deployment time to help avoid mine field spamming, but still make the unit more useful if selected with reduced mine deployment time.

Last edited by london23; 01-28-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM
Approved Member

I think the reason is why people seldom place mines because most players play offensive / agressive. They forget that this tactic is cost-intensive. If they dont inflict more cost on the attacked than what's inflicted on themselves... the counterattack will begin. And then a well - placed minefield can be a step towards victory. But that requires some planning and long term thinking - however it's easier to quit once your ressources are spent and waste your ressources in another game. That's what I see very often with super agressive players.

BTW don't forget your officer, he got smoke grenades for calling in explosives crates that contain approx 60 AT and 120 AP mines for free!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Good tips and good point on the officer air drop supply of mines. I need to remember that.