Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

yes i can click all the other stuff, just cant move the fuel cock in all aircraft.

I have even tried setting a control for it in my option still dosnt work
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

ok i think i found out why, didnt have limited fuel set in my realism options.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Approved Member

i have maybe the same problem for the 109, hurricane works fine though.

i uploaded a recording when i was trying to get that old thing working... didnt work. it always says "Engine Stopping" when attempting to start it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/455320176/engine_start.trk

please somebody whats wrong
Old 03-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Approved Member

I guess some planes have more controls than others. Fuel supply, electric system, master switch, magnetos, etc, turn on the whole lot if it's present. Then crack the throttle a bit and go to full RPM prop pitch.

The important thing to remember is that apparently the game models the entire sequence/checklist apart from individual starter characteristics, which are triggered by the "I" key. That's a good compromise, since some aircraft had onboard starters while others depended on external sources (eg, the mechanics turning the intertia starter's flywheel with the crank as we see in many wartime videos).

Mind you i haven't finished installing it just yet, but that's what i managed to gather from the posts around here. Also, this is very interesting and it tells me they did model it the correct way, similar to what A2A does in their accusim add-ons for FSX:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpac View Post
everything you did was right. when you got all settings press I to start the engine. when it begins to run you must play with the throttle to keep it running
This is realistic, not every start attempt should be successful and engines will sputter and stall if not taken care of, at least until they are sufficiently warmed up.

There are two effects i'm curious about and would like to know if they are present.

a) Has anyone tried a start in really cold weather? It should be much more difficult to start the engine, at least when temperature effects are enabled in the realism options.

b) Damage from excessive torque, is it modeled? The easiest way to test this would be to go full throttle, pick up some speed and then adjust pitch to obtain the lowest RPM value possible (ie, full coarse pitch). In most cases like this something should probably break and/or the manifold pressure gauge should indicate a big rise, as the engine is trying to run full tilt but is held back by the prop turning too slow.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpac View Post
i have maybe the same problem for the 109, hurricane works fine though.

i uploaded a recording when i was trying to get that old thing working... didnt work. it always says "Engine Stopping" when attempting to start it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/455320176/engine_start.trk

please somebody whats wrong
Not seen the track but for the 109 I do this:
Pitch 0
Throttle about 20%
Magneto's on
Fuel on
Press I
Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Im just uploading a video to youtube on how i start up a spitfire, not perfect but it may help someone
Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Approved Member

okay, go to multiplayer, click on server, ok, then load mission, start battle select blue army get into a 109 and try to start.... load the multiplayer dogfights carrier map...
Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Just where in the manual, or on the training missions does a new paying customer (Often called a troll acording to the stickys here) find this basic stuff (How to start the engine) without having to come cap in hand to this forum?

Hippo
Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Still no go here in starting the Hurri:
Pitch to low for less work for engine startup.
Magnetos on.
Fuel Cock.
Fuel mixture rvich.
Hand Pump 5-10 times.
Start Engine.
Puff, nothing.

109 on the other hand, immediately starts using exact same procedure.

Anybody? :S

EDIT: Ok, now the Hurri started, I did nothing but same procedure as above, after about 20 tries in one mission (As in, just one flight, no restarts, no exits, etc)

The Spit on the other hand, when I adjust Prop Pitch and Mixture on that, the levers just goes ON-OFF :S And ofcourse, no chance in hell of getting it started up :S

Last edited by RedVonHammer; 03-31-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Note i forgot the switch on the magnetos on in the video as, i had done it before recording but should help someone. I had to play about with the pitch and mixture as i didnt know what i was doing lol but i got it moving