Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Approved Member

I have seen warnings on games and media for epileptic people.
Epilepsy is definitely not a joke but imagine if all the great movies and games we love had the explosions and flashes taken out.
I do believe that people with epilepsy should be able to enjoy the same things as those without epilepsy, but let's face it, once these movies and games are changed with epilepsy in mind, the movies and games are NOT the same anymore. The person with epilepsy will not enjoy the same cinematic experience.
I have lost most of the use of my legs from combat. Does that mean that no one else is allowed to run?
So what's next?
When we play a game or watch a movie or even regular TV, should we have an option to choose between Epilepsy and non epilepsy formats?
Imagine if all of us were forced to play games or watch movies in an epilepsy format.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Approved Member

Just re-read some posts, its a 100% no purchase from me unless someone works out how the make the russian version english.

It pretty much is filter until they shitify the game, then it will be turned off.

I'm that disappointed i probably wouldn't want to play it if i was given the game for free. Unless a dev can confirm the engine changes wont affect the quality compared to the original, but we wont see that happening because this is exactly whats going to happen.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggy View Post
pupaxx, apology accepted. I'm going to tell you and everyone else where I stand on this whole filter issue;

The filter should be an option\switch, it shouldn't be forced onto the gamer.

I don't like it being forced onto anyone as much as the next person. In fact, the guy I'm talking about in my earlier post....is also a gamer! I'm sure he'd agree with me.

Agreed. Filter ON per default with a note of caution for people affected when installing. After install a switch to ON/OFF in the GUI. That I'd find perfectly neat.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domian View Post
That may be so, but where is the Anti-Epilepsy-Filter in movies on television or cinema?
Every film and television programme, at least here in the UK, must first be audited for any issues relating to epilepsy before they are transmitted. If they fail this tech check they are returned to the production company for the issue to be addressed. If the issue is not rectified the programme or film won't be broadcast. Simple as that.

It is exactly the same for film and television programmes, people just aren't aware of it.

Last edited by slick118; 03-26-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggy View Post
Some of you however think it is. I know this thread will be buried under the mountain of crap currently being posted but let me tell you this, epilepsy isn't a joke.
As I've stated previously, my Mother suffers from epilepsy and a friend recently tried to commit suicide because he couldn't handle his seizures any more. Can you imagine as he's a father of 3 what that's like for his family?
So please before posting jokes about epilepsy, spare a thought for others ok? I pray none of you or your family ever have the misfortune to become struck down by epilepsy.

\rant off
+1

Well said. Whatever anyone think of the filter, making clumsy jokes about a very serious disease is really bad style and has nothing to do with the subject.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Approved Member

Default :)

just because you do not find something funny does not mean its not meant to be a joke

God, Jesus, Sex, Homosexuality, Heterosexuality, being white, being Asian, being black, being jewish (im jewish), being catholic, being a woman, being a man, being a turtle all these things you might not find funny subjects either but I on the other hand I have heard plenty of funny jokes on all of these subjects.

humor is like any other form of art and is completely subjective one person looks at a Monet and sees beauty another looks and sees complete crap.

Just because a particular subject hits too close to home for your taste does not make it a serious statement as long as the person saying it only meant it as a joke. And even if they did mean it as a serious statement what happened to "sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me?"

its hilarious that we tell our children (or used too when grew up) that if a bully calls you a name in school to just laugh at their ignorance and walk away but then as adults now we tell each other that if someone calls you a name you should try and make it against the law for that person to speak???? This makes no sense?

Since it is up to all of us individually to decide what we think is humor or not then I personally don't think that any of the jokes I have read within these forums were anything but attempts at humor, funny or not and I am sure that if people really wanted to bash epileptics on a personal level they could find an epileptic hating web forum for that purpose (you can find anything these days) and wouldn't go to the trouble of posting intentional hate posts on a video game website lol that just sounds silly

Its funny but people forget that in a lot of countries (including mine) the rite to say anything that was on your mind without prosecution was such an important one that they wrote it down on paper and said it was a common rite for all humans.

I am not sure and you can correct me if I am wrong about this but i do not think any civilized country put into writing that you have the rite to stop other people from saying anything that you do not personally want to hear.

My uncle fell many years ago and is paralyzed because of it for the rest of his life and he is the first person to belly laugh out loud when a good cripple joke is told if you asked him why he is laughing he tells you because laughing feels good and the joke was funny.

Bottom line is i don't care if you don't find something funny just like you shouldn't care if i do, that's our rite but wanting to censor the world from things that you don't find funny so that I may never hear them and decide for myself? this is not ok with me.

hope your mom and friend have better lives in the future

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain
Old 03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Approved Member

For the record, my avatar is not poking fun at people with epilepsy... Its most certainly poking fun at this absurd "filter fiasco".
Old 03-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
For the record, my avatar is not poking fun at people with epilepsy... Its most certainly poking fun at this absurd "filter fiasco".
this is not funny at all sir.................

its hilarious actually

cheers
Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Global Moderator

Thumbs down

I can't believe this thread.

Here we have all kinds of information flowing to us. The developer has the epilepsy thing under control and we get all this discussion and "you offend me".

This thread is closed
Closed Thread