Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD download, installation and activation threads

CoD download, installation and activation threads All discussions about installation, online activation and Steam

Old 09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Approved Member

Sorted now chaps, allelujah. Only a whole fricking day wasted, like. Not to worry. Useless *bleepin* twonks that they are. Need a good kicking, the lot of em.

Thanks again for trying to help anyways, nice one.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Ali Fish

this is part of the protection guys ! once u been sent one youll have to wait 24 hrs for another etc etc.

the answer is in there on that silly steam support site. i distinctly remeber having logged on the next day to find the email awaiting me, and laughing thinking "what a jerk idea that was"...

i remeber it all happened because i felt steam had issues as it would disconnect when trying il2 multiplayer. so i in theory re installed it which caused all the comotion.

edit: also try start it in offline mode and change settings might be possible. pull the internet cable if necessary.

Last edited by Ali Fish; 09-08-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAF_FB_Orville View Post
Yes, that is a distinct possibility CharveL, but equally given that Ali says it took a whole day for them to sort it out and get in touch with the 'Steam Guard code' his side, it is also possible that steam support is simply rubbish.
Considering they have over 30 Million Users, I'd say there support is pretty good.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:09 AM
Approved Member

Yup, reinstalling tends to call up the steam guard too.

Freetrack doesn't seem to like win7 x64 much, it crashed while steam was updating and it messed it all up (it would hang on the update bar and not load the client), so i went to their support section and followed the advice to delete some files.

Apparently that resets Steam to the base version i had initially downloaded, so when i launched it again it updated again from scratch. All fine up till now (except forgetting my login details and fumbling around a bit with that, but that was my fault).

Once i logged in i got the steam guard notification.

It seems that reinstalling or wiping certain configuration files gets rid of your unique ID for your PC and a new one is created, which results in steam thinking it's another PC.

Thankfully i didn't have to try a second time and all the automated emails took less than a couple of minutes to arrive: i didn't know there is a 24 hour limit between subsequent steam guard codes and if i had messed it up and i requested a new one i'd be in panic mode waiting for that email

On the bright side of things, it seems that steam guard doesn't just change the allowed PC ID for your account but adds all the IDs you verify to a pool (according to their on-screen messages), which means that once you verify them you can log-in from any single one without going through it all again.

Not useful for everyone, but i can see it being used for people with multiple PCs (work/laptop and home desktop) or those who would like to use PCs of friends (at lan parties or visits) with their own steam account without risking getting it hijacked.