Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Mods, discussions, links, etc.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Approved Member

Here's some other examples
the first two from CoD you can see the wing vanish as the plane flies away in the distance

in the second example you can see the aircraft even as a small speck that grows as you get closer, it doesn't lose pieces or detail as you see it closer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-05-14_00024.jpg (118.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-05-14_00025.jpg (119.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Screen_130514_062955.jpg (117.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Screen_130514_062957.jpg (182.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Screen_130514_062959.jpg (188.7 KB, 33 views)
Velocity Micro Raptor Z90 | Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 | Intel Core i7-3770K 4.7GHz | Asetek Liquid Cooling System | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | 4GB EVGA Nvidia GTX980 SC ACX 2.0 | 120gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 1TB 7200rpm SATA 300 w/NCQ | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 7 64-bit |27" Samsung 1920 x 1080 display | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Old 05-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
Here's some other examples
the first two from CoD you can see the wing vanish as the plane flies away in the distance

in the second example you can see the aircraft even as a small speck that grows as you get closer, it doesn't lose pieces or detail as you see it closer

Try my idea in post #10 you will see that the wings remain at a reasonable distance

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
Try my idea in post #10 you will see that the wings remain at a reasonable distance
Yes, you can use the zoom view to see objects more clearly. But there's also an odd effect, I'd have to make a video to explain. You can sometimes barely see an aircraft at long distance in a wide FOV. When you zoom in to look closer, it vanishes. Zoom out again, it will reappear.
Velocity Micro Raptor Z90 | Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 | Intel Core i7-3770K 4.7GHz | Asetek Liquid Cooling System | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | 4GB EVGA Nvidia GTX980 SC ACX 2.0 | 120gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 1TB 7200rpm SATA 300 w/NCQ | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 7 64-bit |27" Samsung 1920 x 1080 display | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yes, you can use the zoom view to see objects more clearly. But there's also an odd effect, I'd have to make a video to explain. You can sometimes barely see an aircraft at long distance in a wide FOV. When you zoom in to look closer, it vanishes. Zoom out again, it will reappear.

This shorter range disappearing first started to occurred with the MG graphic engine rewrite. The game went from a 9km view limit down to about 5km as the new viewable limit of aircraft. They should remain viewable for you up to that limit, they do for me. So then you may be at that threshold and so the problem. With some luck maybe TF may be able to increase that limit in the future...adjusting the battle area grid size downward should help

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 05-14-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Not for me, at a reasonable distance that I would even notice aircraft in the area. You can prove this to your self by flying a mission/give auto pilot the controls'/switch to outside view/using the mouse, distance your aircraft a few miles away from your view using dragging the mouse
I think it wouldnt be a good way to test the subject like that because the camera even if far away is still linked to the aircraft.I have tried different field of views and while they make a difference in spotting aircraft , they dont solve the phenomenon for me.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post
I think it wouldnt be a good way to test the subject like that because the camera even if far away is still linked to the aircraft.I have tried different field of views and while they make a difference in spotting aircraft , they dont solve the phenomenon for me.

It could be done using "next" camera view and so there would not be a link to any single aircraft. The "phenomenon" for you is not game related or I would suffer it as well...aircraft are hard to track at a distance, but if I am sure it is in the area I can usually pick up on it

Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
It could be done using "next" camera view and so there would not be a link to any single aircraft. The "phenomenon" for you is not game related or I would suffer it as well...aircraft are hard to track at a distance, but if I am sure it is in the area I can usually pick up on it
Ill try the non linked camera to see what I get.Im amazed that you can make such a bold statement just based on your own experience.The Op has the same problem and I have read many times on different forums where people complained about the same issue.Even then I wont dare to say that it does or doesnt happen to everyone because I cant test each person's PC.You seem to not understand the actual problem we are having, none of us is complaining about just tracking a plane at far distance, all of us are aware of its difficulty, but as I said earlier, sometimes it is easier to track the single dot than to track the shimmering lines of pixels, which by the way are not only seen on distant aircraft, they can be seen on distant shore lines and mostly any object in the sim, and this seems to happen to everyone because I have seen it in all the videos I have watched from Cliffs of Dover.I have seen this phenomenon with 2 gpu's, one ATI, the other NVIDIA.With the latter when enabling FXAA I had a significant reduction of jagged lines, specially inside the cockpit but the jaggies on far objects are still there and I really doubt it is hardware realated, at least on my part.

Last edited by Royraiden; 05-15-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Have you tried other flight sims like Rise of Flight or DCS? How does your experience of CoD compare to those?
RoF does a great job of rendering aircraft at distances. You can make them out as small specks that almost look like dust on your monitor and then recognize them as they get closer, even if they are in haze or clouds. I wish CoD was as nice.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Have you tried other flight sims like Rise of Flight or DCS? How does your experience of CoD compare to those?
RoF does a great job of rendering aircraft at distances. You can make them out as small specks that almost look like dust on your monitor and then recognize them as they get closer, even if they are in haze or clouds. I wish CoD was as nice.

No I pretty much just fly Clod...my only point was that the aircraft retain their shape even at a great distance away. They can look like ground black pepper at a great distance away too in Clod, but can be tracked by me so I wonder why you can't, monitor??.

Original game...watch full screen
http://s51.photobucket.com/user/Slip...2eb45.mp4.html

109's & 111's final game

Last edited by SlipBall; 05-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
No I pretty much just fly Clod...my only point was that the aircraft retain their shape even at a great distance away. They can look like ground black pepper at a great distance away too in Clod, but can be tracked by me so I wonder why you can't, monitor??.

Original game...watch full screen
http://s51.photobucket.com/user/Slip...2eb45.mp4.html

109's & 111's final game
Dont assume that we are the only 2 people with this issue.

Please have a read: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...5658#post45658
It has been acknowledged by Team Fusion as well in more than one thread and some of their members have explicitly stated that there is an issue with how the LODS are being displayed and that they are not optimized.
By the way your picture looks fine, but the shimmering lines that seem to disappear are seen when the other planes are more or less at the same altitude.You can compare the OP first 2 pictures, the first one is fine, but in the second one the left wing is missing.I dont know how much evidence do you still need to at least consider that this might be software related.

Last edited by Royraiden; 05-16-2013 at 06:15 PM.