Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Approved Member

K4=3 cannons 2 machine gun G10=1 cannon two machine guns.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Approved Member

I prefer the 109F myself.

F-4 to be precise. Light, fast,maneuverable. I think it's the best balance of all 109's, and I don't care much for the light armament.

The G-6, IMO, is really just a fat G-2. Just has gondola hardpoints and whatnot.

That said, all 109's are fun. In other sims, I've rarely been ever shot down in one.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
No, It is Correct.

None of the Me109G's had any weapons inside the wing. They ALL had One 20mm or later One 30mm Cannon in the engine and Two machine guns ubove the engine.(G-2 has 8mm mg's, G-6 replaced these with 13mm mg's)

In BoP the 109's with 3 cannons are fitted with the conformal gondola 20mm wing cannons. These were great at taking out bombers but pretty much destroyed the planes ability to dogfight. They were usualy used as night fighters.

The 109K introduced 2 internal 30mm in the wings, so although still adding to the weight, but without the drag and restored the handling somewhat.

The 109F should be the best handling of all. It had more power than the Emil for not much additional weight. It also had the improved wing design which the Emil didn't.

The Gustav really added too much power and weight for the airframe. It was a dangerous plane for the german pilots, thay had to be carefull or their own plane could kill them.
I should say that the 109K-4 from BoP, still has the gondola cannons of the G-6. It was with the 109K-6 that added internal wing cannons.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 10-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Approved Member

Just an update here: When I first flew the K-4 in a fight, i thought it was a crate, and I did terrible. But now I really love the K-4, if you know how to fly it, it can be a beast even on team battle.

I dont stress hard over getting in turning fights. If he starts to bank hard, I simply change to another target of opportunity. It does not take much from a K-4's armament to take down an enemy plane.

Its not the best handeling, and it is heavy, but its very fast. Its armament can take down anything fairly easily.

One more thing I would like to add: Many of you will disagree, but the K-4 seems to be a much more stable gun platform than the G-6. I actually score hits much more easily using the K-4. It has really become my favorite 109. And it can take quite a few hits before control is lost.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Approved Member

I almost exclusively fly the 109s (as most people have probably noticed), because the FW190s and American planes are so poorly modeled in the console version. Until I got the 109K model -- I only flew the G6, as it makes up for my lack of gunnery skills with serious firepower. After a few weeks of disproportionate beat-downs from Hurri IIs, Spits, and La-5's -- I changed the way I was flying -- and stopped trying turn with everyone. As soon as I did this -- I started doing more killing than dying, and thus finally earned the K model alot sooner than I thought I would. I now fly with the K model, and while I don't get near the number of kills as the turn-fighters get -- I rarely ever get shot down anymore, because I've learned the fine art of "running away". If I can't get you at the beginning of the turn, I just break off, haul ass away, turn around, and fly back in for another chance. I've just about got the head-on attack down to a science (since it represents the majority of my opportunities). In a head-on fly-by with just about any allied models, you will be throwing down alot more lead than they are. Most of them will always try to follow, and once I get about 5000 feet away, I just turn around and the game of chicken begins. If you've ever flown against TUR-KISH, he uses the same tactic. To be sure, this isn't as fun as turning in circles -- but if you are going to fly this plane -- its just the way it is.

I prefer the K model, as its the best for my style of flying and skill level.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Seraph started a great thread on all of the plane types that lays out the diffs between 109 models, check it out. I only have the F-4 and E-3 unlocked as of now but I prefer the F-4 for its greater stability, and speed. Its still a good turner, something lost in later marks, though its armament is less than the E-3. Incidentally alot of Luftwaffe top aces stayed with the E-3 instead of the F-4 because of the armament issue. In Fact Adolf Galland even field modified his F-4 to have the E-3s two outboard MG FF cannons in addition to the F-4s motorkanonen.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Approved Member

I'm usually stick to F-4 because...was Galland's favourite!!
Jk, I like the fact that it handles pretty well and I don't care too much about poor armament. If you can stay on a Spitfire's tail just for a little while (and have a good aim - still working on it) 2mg and a cannon it's all you need.

Tonight I tried some BnZ but didn't work very well, my F-4 seemed to be not fast enough. But hey was my first time so probably did something wrong (like forgetting to raise flaps and so on).

Good night all