Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > IL2 Mods, discussion and links

Old 05-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Approved Member

so about this hsfx aaken mods...you have to enable the expert mode in the jsgme? lol this whole time i thought that aaken was available with stock hsfx...what else does enabling 'expert mode' do besides put in the aaken stuff...
Old 05-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk471138 View Post
so about this hsfx aaken mods...you have to enable the expert mode in the jsgme? lol this whole time i thought that aaken was available with stock hsfx...
Aaken is a professional aircraft design engineer with a Ph.D. and is currently working in that capacity. Not since Oleg himself has someone with this much experience and education touched the flight modles of IL-2. Aaken uses actual aerospace methods to develop the flight models as opposed to the 'that looks about right' flip a coin method that other mod packs employ. As for what planes are affected, note in the stock HSFX 5.0 configuration (EXPERT mod off) all of the stock IL-2 planes (original slot) have the stock flight models, but some of the the mod aircraft (new slot) use Aaken’s flight models. When you enable the EXPERT MOD via JSGME in HSFX 5.0 both the stock (original slot) and mod (new slot) aircraft use Aaken's flight models. In the initial release of HSFX 5.0 Aaken's focus was on the popular ETO aircraft, Aaken is currently working on the PTO aircraft flight models which will be released as an update/hot fix, it is in beta testings as we speak. For a list of all the planes that Aaken has done see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk471138 View Post
what else does enabling 'expert mode' do besides put in the aaken stuff...
You can refer to the HSFX 5.0 readme, which I found hard to read and took it upon myself to make a unofficial version, below i the link

http://flightsimtesting.com/my/docum...WTO_MANUAL.pdf

Refer to section '8 Aaken's Flight Models' to learn more about what was done, and refer to section '7.12 EXPERT mode aircraft' to see a list of the planes that Aaken has done, and keep in mind that list will be growing as time goes by, where I noted above he is currently working on many of the PTO aircraft. The EXPERT MOD is something I think you will enjoy, for most of those who have tried it all say one thing THE FEEL IS REAL!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Approved Member

Thanks alot for the info and the little guide was helpful as well.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 AM
Approved Member

Yes, thanks from me too. The MANUAL was the best thing yet on mods. It answered several questions that I've had for a while. It seems that most of the documentation provided by the mdders assumes the reader has been involved with the developemnt.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Approved Member

Imagine you're in a bar and you see two lovely ladies smiling at you.

You talk to the one on the left, UP, who is a down with the guys type of girl with a nice rack and you know she'll be fun but wonder if she might be a little dull after a month or two.

or:

You talk to the one on the right, HSFX, who looks a little more classy but isn't as friendly or popular as UP. You can tell that she's going to be more high maintenance and will probably end up spending most of your paycheck but you can't resist the challenge of trying to make her smile.

Long story short, both have their merits and it's down to personal taste.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 AM
zipper

According to the UP 3.0 RC readme, http://ultrapack.il2war.com/page/readme, one is to start with a clean 4.10.1m version of the game.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the info and the little guide was helpful as well.
Your welcome!

And..

Quote:
EZ1
Yes, thanks from me too. The MANUAL was the best thing yet on mods. It answered several questions that I've had for a while.
Your welcome!

Oh and feel free to give the link to others who you think may need it, I post the link in HL when ever I see someone asking questions

Quote:
EZ1
It seems that most of the documentation provided by the mdders assumes the reader has been involved with the developemnt.
That is the feeling I got from it too, which is what motivated me to make the one I made. The HSFX readme is more of a diary or log that captures the sequence of events, and credits to those who did what, which makes a lot of since to the guys doing the work because like you said they were involved with it.

But very hard for anyone that was not involved. I found myself reading the first few paragraphs and than giving up.

It wasn't until I saw a bunch of people in HL asking questions that were answered in the HSFX readme that I went back and force myself to read it all!

And sure enough the info was there but you really had to dig for it, and in some cases it was in more than one place. So, putting myself in the shoes of the 'user' I took out most of the diary/log of events stuff, the credits to those who did it, and focused on 'what' was in there and providing pictures to go along with the 'how to' stuff

Last edited by ACE-OF-ACES; 05-30-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
JimmyBlonde
Long story short, both have their merits and it's down to personal taste.
I agree both have their merits

And both are similar, which is not surprising in that UP lifts the content from other mods and mod packs like HSFX and repackages it to include it into their mod pack

Hence the name Ultra in the title UltraPack, as in taking mods from all other mods and mod pack and putting them into one mod pack.

A real kitchen sink approach to mod packs, that, based on the multi page bug report at the UP forums may not be such a good idea?

And since UP takes from all others, there is not a lot of original UP content in UP, for example UP even went as far as to lift the name HSFX used for Aaken's mods, i.e. EXPERT MODE, which can be seen in the UP switcher below

Which is not to say UP implemented/used Aaken's flight models! They just lifted the name which will surly be a source of confusion among the users who might think UP has an professional aircraft design engineer with a Ph.D. and is currently working in that capacity creating their flight models, which is not the case at all.

In the end, as you noted, the decision comes down to personal taste.

But hopefully an informed decision!

Both mod packs will allow you to mod the game, but only HSFX will allow you to join stock 1C/TD servers running 4.10.1

The choice is clear for me when you consider the fact that most servers in HL are stock 1C/TD servers running 4.10.1, but 'allow mods'

Because I have to have 6DOF! And I like the option to fly in a stock 1C/TD server or a HSFX server

But that is just my personal preference

Problem for UP 3.0 is, I think a lot of people have the same personal preference
Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Approved Member

All I want from UP is the P51A, but not badly enough to actually install it.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
All I want from UP is the P51A, but not badly enough to actually install it.

Why dont you just have both mate,

I have hsfx for having a mess around with and UP for some of the missions, I also have a SAS install where I've put all my modded content into..

If you've got the space it's the best policy..at least that way you can do whatever you like and have all your options open