Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds > King's Bounty Editor

King's Bounty Editor Info, hints, questions and etc.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:48 PM
Approved Member

Question How to create new units in base game? (addon)

I've been banging my head around for quite some time trying to create new units, and I've not been successful yet. I managed to solve the problem with the error message of the game not being able to read .bma files because of opening them with a notepad, so to solve it I downloaded a hex editor. Now I do exactly the same thing and I get a regular crash message when I get into a battle with the unit I "created". I am able to change it's name, stats, its interface image but I am not able to enter the battle with them, because the game crashes the moment the game loads the fight. The process that I do is: create a new session using the editor. I create a atom folder where I copy the ATOM file of the unit that I wan't to retexture, or create a new unit if you wish (you can't create new models). After that I create a models and textures. In the models folder I copy the .bma file of the unit, and into textures I copy the .dds files, which are the textures (I downloaded a photoshop extension with enables me to open these files, I think it's compatible only with the latest Photoshop, which is the 2020 version). So I edit the .dds file as I wish, meaning I change the color of the file. I save the .dds then rename it into nameofunit_diff (example name of unit is twilightexec). I enter the unit's .bma file with the hex editor, finding the nameofunit_diff and then renaming it with my nameofunit_diff (example I was trying to make a twilight color version of the executioner, so I changed the executioner_diff into the twilightexec_diff). I never changed the mask of the unit I was trying to create, I kept it the same as the regular executioner mask (Is that important?). Now I have the ATOM file named twilightexec, texture file named twilightexec_diff and .bma file named twilightexec. I changed in the ATOM folder from executioner.bma to twilightexec.bma. I changed in the loc_ses (or ses, I can't remember), adding the cpn_twilightexec=Twilight Executioner and the other one for plural (cpsn_nameofunit=Name of Unit). I use the editor to place the unit for purchase in the Ragman shop on Debir, I purchase the unit, the name is different, the interface texture is different, I never changed stats cause I was just testing but I think they would be different also. Everything seems normal, until I enter a battle, where the game crashes, showing me the "King's Bounty Crossworlds has stopped working" and showing me the options "Close the game" and "Look for a solution online". Please I would be very thankful if I could get an answer.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:06 PM
Approved Member

Do the animations correspond with the unit shape? Is the texture name the same length as the old texture name?
Old 10-19-2020, 04:52 PM
Approved Member

Don't understand the animations question? Am i supposed to do something with animations? I only edit .bma files, I thought that animations were in the bma file. The name of the new texture isn't as long as the old texutre name (eg. old name is archer_diff.dds I copy it and change the name too archerr_diff.dds. I go to the bma file, find the archer_diff.dds I always just copy it in automatically over the archer_diff.dds because when I try to type it it can't fit, I assume I need to add bytes. Do you have an idea for a solution now? Maybe something about the animations??
Old 10-19-2020, 09:42 PM
Approved Member

The texture name is the problem here I think. Animations shouldn't be a problem if they are still the normal archer animations. You need the new texture name to be just as long as the old one for it to work.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

You are right, as always. Thanks!