Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Vietnam

Men of War: Vietnam A new title in the world-known Men of War real-time tactics game series

Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Default ....ummmm....how do you use claymores?

.....stupid enough question I know....but when I set them the baddies walk right over them and they don't go off. "Front Towards Enemy" doesn't seem to be working for me.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Approved Member

don't know how realistically they are modelled in this game, but claymores have to be set off manually.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Oh! Unless I'm missing the toggle to set them off. I figured it was done by the bad guys being in close proximity or trip-wire style, still can't seem to get the bloody things to detonate.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

I was able to use the Claymores successfully in my current mission, which I think is the second mission of the US campaign. The spot where a convoy is coming down the road at the beginning of the mission.

The first time I tried using the claymores they failed to activate, apparently their trigger distance was not large enough and the enemy troops were walking just outside of the mine range. I loaded the mission several times trying to place them in places that would cause a good detonation. After about 5 tries, I finally found spots that the enemy were walking directly on top of them and that did cause proper detonation.

It seems that the Claymores don't actually function like a true Claymore, they work instead more like the AP mines in previous MoW titles. Simply imagine that there is a small circle around the mine that is the activation trigger, and anyone stepping onto the mine itself or within a very short range from it will cause it to trigger.

Personally, I think the Claymores were done poorly. As a former Army soldier myself, I have quite a bit of experience using the Claymore mines. I was expecting the Claymores in-game to function in a similar fashion, with a directed fragmentation blast instead of the "old" limited-range circular blast.

It would also have been great if the Claymores were command-detonated instead of "trigger detonated" as they are now. Currently, these so-called "Claymore Mines" are nothing more than a reskin of the previous AP mines, apparently adding no new effects or function. Because of that, they offer only very limited use, having a very small blast range and even shorter trigger range.

The Claymores do "work", but not as one would assume. You need to place them in a location where the enemy will physically walk directly on top of the mine, walking "near" it doesn't trigger it. They also do not require any specific "facing", as they are not directional.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja2dan View Post
I was able to use the Claymores successfully in my current mission, which I think is the second mission of the US campaign. The spot where a convoy is coming down the road at the beginning of the mission.
Awesome! Thanks for the tip, finally worked!