Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

View Poll Results: Best Heavy tank
Kv-1 1 3.03%
Kv-85 0 0%
Tiger 3 9.09%
Panther 6 18.18%
Pershing T-29 2 6.06%
King Tiger 15 45.45%
Centurion 1 3.03%
IS-1 0 0%
IS-2 3 9.09%
IS-3 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Bah, it is the most likeable Russian tank from the WWII era. My father drove one through the streets of Berlin, and even though it was later destroyed he and his crew survived Berlin. By that, I call it reliable.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
Bah, it is the most likeable Russian tank from the WWII era. My father drove one through the streets of Berlin, and even though it was later destroyed he and his crew survived Berlin. By that, I call it reliable.
No it wasn't, the T-34 was. And I find it hard to believe that the KV-1 was in service in 1945, but hey. Its communist Russia. And even if your father did in fact drive it in Berlin. The tank certainly didn't drive there. The threads would have broken down around Warsaw if he was lucky, chances are it would have been earlier than that.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Approved Member

Well, he did fine. At least thats what I'm told.

I don't feel comfortable with using the T-34.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
I don't feel comfortable with using the T-34.
I agree 100% here, atleast for in games sake. When I used to play the Russian missions and I got T34's I was simply amazed at what killed it and w/ such ease, meanwhile its gun bounced....alot......Because of that I went and tried out the KV1. I'll take a KV1 over a T34/76, atleast in game b/c you dont face breakdown, the KV has better armor and the same gun...so if there was a KV1 vs T34/76 poll, KV1 all the way. The T34/85, though it has the same crappy armor it had that top MG and the 85mm Zis 53. So yeah The T34/85 is a quite nice tank, aside from the fact that it dies to the Pzr IV D and its itsy bitsy 76mm infantry gun.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
I agree 100% here, atleast for in games sake. When I used to play the Russian missions and I got T34's I was simply amazed at what killed it and w/ such ease, meanwhile its gun bounced....alot......Because of that I went and tried out the KV1. I'll take a KV1 over a T34/76, atleast in game b/c you dont face breakdown, the KV has better armor and the same gun...so if there was a KV1 vs T34/76 poll, KV1 all the way. The T34/85, though it has the same crappy armor it had that top MG and the 85mm Zis 53. So yeah The T34/85 is a quite nice tank, aside from the fact that it dies to the Pzr IV D and its itsy bitsy 76mm infantry gun.
In game the KV-1 is obviously a better tank than the T-34, unless you want speed. But in real life the KV-1 wasn't that great and didn't have a huge impact on the war. The T-34 did.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM_Von_Manstein View Post
In game the KV-1 is obviously a better tank than the T-34, unless you want speed. But in real life the KV-1 wasn't that great and didn't have a huge impact on the war. The T-34 did.
For sure the Real life T34 was probably a better tank overall, more reliable, cheaper, faster and quick to make. Plus im sure the RL T34's armor was better then in game, it has 60mm sloped at like 60 degrees? or something like that so its armor is actually just as good as the KV's 100mm plus the chance for the shell to deflect, but in MoW it is 52mm turret and 47mm hull armor so its butter and sucks.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned

Already early in 1944 no KV-1 Model 1940, 1941 and 1942 was still in active frontline service. They had by then been withdrawn to second and third line units. But several SU/ISU assault gun units did use the KV-1S as a command vehicle until the end of the war.

The KV-85 was used in limited numbers until the end of the war which make it possible for it to have entered Berlin in May 1945.

Most KV-2´s had been destroyed by the summer of 1942 and the few left were withdrawn since it´s heavy weight proved to be much to troublesome (the Soviets had for example not a single vehicle which was capable of towing it if it got stuck in mud etc and thus, most of their KV-2 losses were due to knocked off tracks, stuck in mud etc).

To say that the KV-1 were a failure is nothing but a sheer lie. For it´s time it was one of the best tanks and even more importantly, the Soviet engineers and tank designers learned a lot from it, experience that they had good use of when designing the IS1/IS2.
When it was first put to use, it was the Russian equivalent to the German Tiger I.

T34/76 had 45mm of slooped armor but still, the KV1 had better armor protection. The biggest mistake the KV1 designers made, were to put a 76mm main gun on a heavy tank (same gun as the T34/76 used) instead of adding a bigger gun. When the KV85 arrived, the T34/85 were already in production and deemed to be a better tank and thus production of KV´s dropped off.

Captured KV1/KV2 were used by the Germans until destroyed or until they ran out of spare parts. The last combat use of the KV2 were in 1945 in German hands.

~Zeke.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Approved Member

One thing ive been wondering, since longer barrels allow the shell to pick up more speed and speed is velocity plus or minus a few hundred other things, would making the F32/F34 a gun w/ a longer barrel increase its killing power and therefore making a tank w/ better killing ability over the T34? Just been wondering that.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
One thing ive been wondering, since longer barrels allow the shell to pick up more speed and speed is velocity plus or minus a few hundred other things, would making the F32/F34 a gun w/ a longer barrel increase its killing power and therefore making a tank w/ better killing ability over the T34? Just been wondering that.
Yes. Long barrels have higher muzzle velocity, and therefor better penetration, range and accuracy.

In terms of guns. Muzzle Velocity=Penetration and size=damage done with HE rounds.

Quote:
For sure the Real life T34 was probably a better tank overall, more reliable, cheaper, faster and quick to make. Plus im sure the RL T34's armor was better then in game, it has 60mm sloped at like 60 degrees? or something like that so its armor is actually just as good as the KV's 100mm plus the chance for the shell to deflect, but in MoW it is 52mm turret and 47mm hull armor so its butter and sucks.
I'm pretty sure the armor thickness is correct. T-34/76 and T-34/85 were both pretty weak in terms or armor. Very vulnerable, German 37mm AT guns could penetrate frontal armor under 100m IIRC, and 50mm AT guns at even longer ranges.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. The KV-1 was very mechanically unreliable, more than the Tiger in fact. Its only advantage was it's armor, and that became penetrable frontally in 1942. It's poor speed made it an easy target for planes and artillery fire. And it's gun was just average, obsolete by 1942.
KV2 was NOT unreliable. Sure, it had some mechanical problems due 2 its extreme weight but...

There are accounts of single KV-1's holding off an entire Panzer division (a bridge) and 5 KV-1's ambushing and slaughtering a panzer column. Its gun could kill anything in 1941.

Quote:
Yes. Long barrels have higher muzzle velocity, and therefor better penetration, range and accuracy.

In terms of guns. Muzzle Velocity=Penetration and size=damage done with HE rounds.

I'm pretty sure the armor thickness is correct. T-34/76 and T-34/85 were both pretty weak in terms or armor. Very vulnerable, German 37mm AT guns could penetrate frontal armor under 100m IIRC, and 50mm AT guns at even longer ranges.
Nah, it was impervious of fire from 37mm guns. I don't know about 50mm though I doubt it. The Germans often had 2 use howitzers to take out a T-34/76

I voted for the Centurion. It just has this awesome charm!

Last edited by Nikitns; 04-17-2010 at 08:41 PM.