Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Approved Member

Default The new (old) map

I notice in the beta patch that the in-game map has been swapped to include the half-inch, useless, screen space eating border from IL2 1946.

I for one find this a real step backwards, the first major one for me since release. Quite apart from the fact the border is quite obviously lifted from IL2 1946, and as such looks very old and out of place compared to the rest of the interface, it takes up a far greater amount of screen space. Unless it's resized (which is hard enough to do on the ground, let alone mid flight as the 'edges' of the window don't quite correspond to the drag-sliders), it's now eats around 1/5th of my screen instead of the nice, clean, small window we had at release. It looks horrible when compared to the nice, clean, modern interfaces we've become used to and actually makes me feel like I'm flying 1946 again, not the latest, up to date, beautiful Cliffs of Dover.

Obviously I prefer the earlier version, though now it's been changed I doubt it'll change back at the hands of the Dev team. Which means it's up to us! First person to figure out a way to get rid of the hideous new map border gets a prize!*

* Prize, in this circumstance should be taken to mean sincere appreciation from the author and other like-minded members of the community. To me, the best prize would be a video (lookin at you Freycinet ) with all the major community contributors like Blackdog etc flying in formation, each with their own custom skin with their name somewhere on the wings/fuselage. Something that will be around for many years, so we can look back and smile, and newcomers can see just how much effort the community has put in. That would be a 'prize' worth contributing to imo

Last edited by Orpheus; 06-22-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

Agreed. Its a horrible low-res looking placeholder of a map border. Please make the bad texture go away.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I notice in the beta patch that the in-game map has been swapped to include the half-inch, useless, screen space eating border from IL2 1946.

I for one find this a real step backwards, the first major one for me since release.
I haven't downloaded the patch but if the old map is in place, then I most certainly agree. I never liked the old map even way back when and I very much liked the more modern one.
As you say, the old map would look totally out of place in Clod.

I can't fathom why the map would be changed.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Approved Member

For those who've not seen it, here is a video (post-beta):

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=125

New map appears at 37 seconds in, first half of the vid shows the release map as it was before the beta. The map change is clearly visible on the video thumbnail if you don't want to watch the vid. I actually don't want to fly the sim until this is fixed/removed, it's that awful.

Last edited by Orpheus; 06-22-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Approved Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
For those who've not seen it, here is a video (post-beta):

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=125

New map appears at 37 seconds in, first half of the vid shows the release map as it was before the beta. The map change is clearly visible on the video thumbnail if you don't want to watch the vid. I actually don't want to fly the sim until this is fixed/removed, it's that awful.
It is true it is not a hit but a miss!
But is it so important?

I like the game in general and the details shall be corrected in due time.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Approved Member

Anyone realised how to zoom in/out on the new map?

All the options of setting waypoints, measuring distances. Sure, in bigger maps but in a map where it takes 10 minutes to cross the channel..nah.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseispcc View Post
It is true it is not a hit but a miss!
But is it so important?

I like the game in general and the details shall be corrected in due time.
In the grand scheme of things, I agree - there are more important thing to worry about, like improving performance, FMs etc. I too really like this game and can't wait for it to really come to full potential. But chucking in a 10yr old map border for a reason I am utterly unable to fathom is just unnecessary; it is completely out of sync with every other aspect of the UI, like adding a 10 year old sprite to a modern game. It looks horrible, takes up far too much screen space and seems to have been 'thrown in' to the patch just for the sake of it - I've not seen may people complaining that the map needed a border!

If we're really lucky they'll just remove it from the retail patch (please Luthier, I'm begging you!), but if they don't, I want a way to get shot of it before I take another flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeanze View Post

All the options of setting waypoints, measuring distances. Sure, in bigger maps but in a map where it takes 10 minutes to cross the channel..nah.
For my (horrible) in flight map, zoom is on the mouse-wheel, just as it was before.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Approved Member

I think the "porting" of this map border just goes to show how despeartely Maddox Games needs a GUI artist. From the look of the GUI throughout the whole game, it just looks like a bunch of programmed boxes with no historical flair at all ... and then that "soundtrack" starts up and all sense of immersion is already gone before you even get into the cockpit.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeanze View Post

It happened to me too. There is a option (new?) in the map, called "User something", with 3 buttons. Try with all of them, as one of them, the one that lets you measure distances at least, does not allow for map zoom, or at least that was my experience.

In relation with the topic, I also have to agree. I don´t like the new map at all.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

Of all the things on the list to fix, I can't believe that this was one of the ones they chose.