Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
But, it still will not be differential braking.
True.. but then... I'm not flying either... For me.. and I guess tat's te operative word here.. I can simulate it enough to pivot on one wheel in the dirt so..
Old 07-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Approved Member

I thought that steering with rudder is supposed to make a difference in the brakes, left and right. At least I think there was some discussion about it in years past.

Maybe it's just propwash on the rudder that lets me turn during taxi. I do make a bit like the Flying Circus guys in "Hell's Angels" when taxiing, hit the rudder and goose the motor and the nose comes around nicely.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Approved Member

Problem is that without having a separate right brake and left brake it becomes impossible to steer a P-38 on the ground with only one engine running. You end up just spinning around in circles regardless of how you adjust the prop pitch & throttle or how much rudder and braking you apply.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Approved Member

Differential braking is in the game since it was released back in the 2001. If you press brake button, or engage brake axis, and simultaniously apply rudder axis, the braking force will be different in right and left wheels, depending on how much rudder you applied.
Such system IRL was used on most French and Soviet aircraft, as well, as on many other nation's planes.
On most US planes were used toe brakes on rudder pedals, which would produce exactly same result, as system, described above, but with different body moves.
In the game, only the first approach modeled, which, however, can perfectly replicate differential braking for both (or even more) IRL systems. It's just that you use different from historical body moves to do that. Which, surprse, surprise, is true for many other cockpits controls in game vs IRL!
So, the question is, what the heck are you arguing about, or what do you requesting?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Approved Member

What I want to see is an ntrk where someone is actually able to taxi using one engine of a twin engine plane. Then a complete explanation on how it was accomplished would really be nice. I am not saying it can't be done but I have been playing for 8 years and all I can do is spin in circles on the ground when I have one engine that is working.

Wheels
Old 10-29-2013, 05:16 AM
Approved Member

Could it be done IRL?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 AM
Approved Member

it would depend on the aircraft, if it had a steerable nosewheel then yes, otherwise i would imagine its very difficult. The p-38 had a free castoring nose wheel so one engine taxiing would be tricky but you could do a turn using diff braking I bet. likewise with tail draggers it depends if the tail wheel locks, IRL for example the mosquito does not have a locking tailwheel (unlike il2). so you have to stand on the brakes and run up some boost before takeoff to get some steering authority.

Last edited by Tempest123; 10-29-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Approved Member

check out http://p38whitelightnin.com/story/La...ew/index3.html for a p-38 taxiing anecdote. on a side note this forum is frustrating to navigate on a smartphone, is there an app (android)?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaQSoN View Post
So, the question is, what the heck are you arguing about, or what do you requesting?
I don't have a twist stick for rudder and maybe it was a concession that the designers made to accommodate those players at the expense of those who have flight rigs that have rudder pedals that include separate axis for individual toe brakes.

So since you are asking what we are requesting, we want to have the left toe brake stop the left main gear wheel (brake) and the right toe brake stop the right main gear wheel (brake); two separate independent functions. We want to pivot on each wheel without being required to provide rudder input all of the time in the revetment area or on a carrier deck. The game lets us edit the settings file in the user/pilot folder to add the Y-axis for the brakes, but it does not give us a separate function such as left or right brake. We should be able to steer the plane on the ground using only the toe brakes if we have a flight rig that has the feature such as CH Pro Pedals and other pedal systems.

The P-38 in the game cannot taxi with only one engine running like the Real Life plane could regardless of how we adjust the throttle and propeller pitch in the game.

I have a P-38 Training DVD (which I just watched again). Both the Lockheed Test Pilot and a USAAF Pilot converting to the P-38 from a single seat fighter took turns simulating the loss of one engine during takeoff, in flight and also landing. They shut down the right engine and feathered the right propeller. They chose to simulate right engine failure because only the left engine has the electrical generator connected to it. If they shut down the left engine they would have been running only on the battery. They had to trim the plane in order to compensate for the torque of single engine use. Both the test pilot and the trainee each landed the P-38 with only one engine and and taxied to the parking area without spinning in circles like we do in the game.

I also have a P-39 training DVD which also talks about using just the left or right brake to turn the plane around the stopped wheel when maneuvering in a tight space among other aircraft.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Approved Member

IL2:1946 without some kind of proportional rudder has got to be a pretty poor experience. A twisty stick is the least you should have with no pedals.

IIRC Amazon and Geeks have twisties in the $15-$30 range. You can't control slip due to propwash without rudder, not fat enough to be effective. Without that you will never have the speed you should.
Closed Thread