Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutz View Post
Well this is not a british engine but maybe this gives you an idea how it should look like?
No, this doesn't give me idea... Load the sound file from this video in a professional sound edit program and look for the spectrum... You will see there soo poor range and will be very impressed if you will load the same from a track above (our), even it is a place holder yet...

However I see the color of exhaust here in DB. Interesting with which gazoline and settings for start Becasue exaust color depending of many-many "settings".
Old 12-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

WOW ,Thanks Oleg.Tunable colours and pistons firing imprecisely according to differing conditions that sounds good.
Will the engine be able to be made to misfire due to poor management inflight or due to damage?
LOL I wonder if the groundcrew can be singed and made sooty by backfiring engines
Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
No, this doesn't give me idea... Load the sound file from this video in a professional sound edit program and look for the spectrum... You will see there soo poor range and will be very impressed if you will load the same from a track above (our), even it is a place holder yet...

However I see the color of exhaust here in DB. Interesting with which gazoline and settings for start Becasue exaust color depending of many-many "settings".
Sorry Oleg I did not mean the sound, but the exhaust flames coming out. Sorry if I did not state that clear enough.
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG27CaptStubing View Post
I would go more with Blue...
It is depending of gazoline, pressure, RPM, and so many other factors... Even at different altitudes it is different really...

We have original table of the exhaust colors by which British crew were need to define is in good or not so good conditions the engine before the flight...
Approved Member

Talking

Hello Oleg!

If there is a program managing each exhaust pipe individually, could it be possible to expand it in order to make the exhaust flames yellow + puffs of black smoke + irregular firing tending quickly toward blue + no smoke (or slight stream of translucid grey), as Wutz video shows?
Exhaust flames at high RPM were indeed blue (assuming the pilots were managing mixture, which was generally the case!)

JVM
Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Approved Member

Don't forget the cooling effect of the exhaust stacks on the spit. I don't have a video to hand but you would have much cooler unburned fuel flames with this type of exhaust than with the straight stacks on the Daimler engine. I'm actually of a mind with Oleg, that the flame needs to be "cooled down" a little.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Approved Member

Blueish. Daimlers burn very rich though and burn low grade fuel, 87% octane. Would they still burn that now? They had much lower compression ratios than merlins but they were made that way because the Germans didn't have access to the good fuels that the allies had. Lower compression engines run well...better one low grade fuels than they do on high grade fuels. It's probably why they had such a bigger displacement than Merlins 27 I think and 34 liters. Bigger displacement to get the power.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Approved Member

Default Attention

I need immediatly to run from office.

Please if you find any materials that to show, read, and you own suggestion - write it here.
I and my guys will read it.

I will be back soon. Hope on Sunday.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Very impressive effects Oleg, thanks. I love the fact that you worry about little details like this. Will the engine require more turns of the prop sometimes before starting? Will we sometimes have to try twice to start it like in the DB video?

Thanks for taking the time to update us. It is appreciated.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
It is depending of gazoline, pressure, RPM, and so many other factors... Even at different altitudes it is different really...

We have original table of the exhaust colors by which British crew were need to define is in good or not so good conditions the engine before the flight...

Ok, but even if it's dependent on those factors, and there would be set of factors that would produce yellow colors like in the video you posted, it's still too yellow. Actually, the problem is (as far as I can see in compressed video) that the spectrum is too narrow. There should be a wider range of subtle hue/value (not saturation) difference in the different flames as they appear, in some random pattern.
It's however hard to tell -- who knows what the video codec does, and then it's that everyone has a different monitor. I played it however on my color calibrated Wacom Cintiq, and that is what I thought first.
Closed Thread