Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
and whilst the colours would be affected by precipitation, an absence of this means that the grass would look exactly like I can see outside. Even with some rain in the past day, the grass is still dry and yellowed.
why is it so hard to actually read the text that was written, instead of replacing it with your own preconceived idea's and then arguing with yourself pretending it is what i said ?

grasses and crop plants react relatively quickly to drought or rain, trees dont (roots are much deeper and able to still access water for a longer period), and it is trees that in that screenshot mostly look to bleached/light imo . if you are in indeed in kent, just go out for a walk in the countryside, and have a look at the color of the tree foliage and hedges. obviously they dont go brown or bleached in the summer (yet grasses and crops can). only in the last stages, when the tree is dying, will that actually happen

philip.ed, dont get confused by seeing forum threads as chat fest, nobody needs to agree with you (or me). other posters comment in this thread are about comparing current scenery colors/tones/shades with real life events (as much as we can do so for a ww2 period), and for that it will need photographs/video from real life, not opinion (be this yours or mine). if you want to be productive and live in kent and it is a long dry summer there again, maybe go out with a decent digital camera and go take some landscape/scenery shots to post here.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
They say "The neighbour's grass is always greener" so yours must be the one on the left
Darn it, how did you guess?!

PPanPan
Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Approved Member

that latest picture from peterpan exactly illustrates my point, one garden might be wattered during drought (and its grass is therefore much greener), but it makes absolutely no difference to the trees and their foliage color on either side, those are exactly the same

disclaimer: these are oleg wip shots we are talking about, with him repeatedly stating colors and textures are not final
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grass.jpg (587.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Approved Member

Well, I was talking about grass; not trees so my fact stands
Old 07-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
Well, I was talking about grass; not trees so my fact stands
what still stands is your confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
i hope you were referring to the sky when you said the colour range was right, not the scenery

in the most recent screenshots with the low flying cluster of german aircraft over Brittan, the colour of trees and scrubs (and their spacing), looks to me more like the french maquis in a long bleaching summer, then the lush english vegetation in southern england
that was my original comment, to which leggit replied he disagreed by saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggit
You "remember" southern Britain as lush and green yes it can be, right now because we haven't had any rain in a few weeks its looking rather dry and sunburnt. the grass is all yellow and burnt etc. my point is what you think something should look like and what would be a more realistic depicition are sometimes very different.
to which you are brightly chirping in

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed
Ditto, lived in Kent all my life, and besides from some of the evergreens and areas where there may be more precipitation, leggit is spot on. I mean, we've had really hot weather recently, and then the other day it rains and there's an absence of sunlight and bingo, the grass is already greener
so no, you were in fact telling me i was wrong in my suggestions for color improvements for trees and shrubs, and you were specifically commenting to ALL vegetation (except your "evergreens") and grass (as if that is what i had posted), and as you can see my original statement was never about grass at all (but trees and shrubs)

in consolation, may i present you with a shrubbery from the knights who say NI, NI, NI !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shrubs.jpg (58.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by zapatista; 07-16-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Approved Member

i was still referring to grass there with the added persepctive that evergrees add a lot of colour to the otherwise dry environment.
SImple misunderstanding here, as I know what I am talking about!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Approved Member

all light hearted banter aside, in the latest screenshots this week the trees and shrubs (hedges etc) have now gone a much darker green (from the bleached and very light look we had last week), to dark i'd say in my humble opinion. looks now more like central europe, than the fair land of brits

still, since obviously oleg and Co can adjust this fairly quickly and easily "on the fly" (from one week to the next), i hope they take some of the constructive suggestions in consideration and look at some of the recent pictures posted for the "range of green" that is more typical in southern england. during the 6 yrs i lived in kent, i regularly traveled to northern france, belgium and holland. and the lush greens of england always stood out to me as having a very different "feel" and atmosphere compared to the vegetation in the neighboring countries. being able to get that "roughly right" in the colors and tones for BoB will do a lot to immersion and "suspending disbelief".

i am no photographer or digital grafix artist, but shouldnt it be possible to use some digital photographs of english scenery in a gfx program and then be able to exactly get the RGB values for the colors in the image ? doing that on a bunch of good digital images of english vegetation images should then be able to get a "color range" for the greens for different tree types, hedges, various shrubs, and grasses (the farm fields in the recent images looked pretty good to me, its the "greens" that didnt sem to represent england so far, to me at least)

hope all this is seen as the constructive feedback it is intended as

Last edited by zapatista; 07-16-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Approved Member

Well, I don't think the trees themselves look that good at the moment, so I will wait until it's released to pass judgement 100% but I agree with you zap.

Here's the thing, I was playing Il-2 today, and with forest=3 I can see the trees moving in the wind. I played WoP and the sequence looks a lot better in Il-2. As a flyer, I am happy to see moving grass, but maybe they don't need to have leaves themselves moving? Surely this way they could get better looking trees with less fps impact?

I mean, the trees in the first set of shots released look better than what we see now. I am sure everything will be tweaked a lot, but I think they should look at the trees in RoF and make ones that look similar, as the RoF trees look like English trees IMO.
Closed Thread