Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 08-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Approved Member

Default 3rd party skins allowed in MP?

I did some searching here and couldn't find an answer, so apologies if this has been answered before.

I'm interested in using some skins, such as Capt. Farrell's 109 skins, but am concerned about having them installed when I (eventually) fly multi-player.

Do I run a risk of getting banned by Steam if I have skins with historically-correct markings on the German planes?

Or will those skins simply be unavailable when I fly MP?

Thanks in advance,

Charlo
Old 08-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

So I could design for myself an "Invisible" skin and use it online ?
Rather defeats the purpose of VAC doesnt it.
Personally I would rather see an immediate ban for ANY mod used online just to deter any cheaters or potential cheats.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Approved Member

Any custom skins used online cause stutters. Please do not use them.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Approved Member

(I'm pleased to receive replies from folk I've been reading and learning from these past months! Perhaps this thread could become a good reference for other newbies like me wanting to fly online with skins.)

I accept not using skins with swastikas in online MP out of respect for the laws of those countries that find it necessary to prevent their display. I just find it a bit of an immersion-killer in offline SP to NOT see them as I learn CloD well-enough to try my hand online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
... I went a bit further (albeit at risk to myself for getting banned) in replacing all the default skins with the same blank skins but with the historical mark on the tail. That way, to me at least, everyone else that uses the default skins, still appear to have the correct markings.
That is all I really want to do - add that one historical marking as I fly offline. For that I'd be quite satisfied with just having the versions of the default skins Cheesehawk describes above, if I could find a place from which to download them.

But if I did use those or other historically-correct skins, would I have to swap them out of their respective documents/1csoftclub/paint schemes/ "plane type" folders prior to joining an MP server, both to avoid a VAC ban and to prevent stutters for myself and my fellow onliners?

Or does the MP server software require me to opt-in or otherwise limit itself to only "approved" skins?

(My only experience with skins is ROF, the only other sim I've ever flown.)

Charlo
Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Approved Member

If anyone is in doubt about VAC and dares to venture online with custom content, you can check your VAC status from within the Steam interface.

I don't remember where exactly you can find it, but there's an options screen showing your VAC standing. If you see this deteriorating it would be a good idea to revert to a stock installation
Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Based on what Cheesehawk wrote I found some of the skins I wanted at http://cliffsofdover.fr/ , and as I look at them I can see it looks pretty easy to use Photoshop or Gimp to add the hakenkreuz into a default skin, if I can't find a skin for some of the German planes.

A big part of what prompted me to start this thread was warnings such as this at other forums where skins are shared:
"***VERY IMPORTANT***

This skin is NOT for use online and WILL get you BANNED if you use it online. DO NOT USE WHILST ON MULTIPLAYER OR WHILST YOU ARE ON STEAM AS YOU WILL POSSIBLY GET BANNED

If you do want to use this skin we recommend disconnecting your internet connection and then using it, and if you do want to go online with the game please DELETE the skin before you proceed (just as precaution but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
"
But I eventually saw a post explaining the above is that skinner's best attempt at a full disclaimer to address all possible consequences of using anything but the default skins, and is not based on the consequences we know will happen.

So, I'm probably going to take the risk of flying off-line SP with historically-correct skins while still connected through Steam, and I'll do what Blackdog recommended and check my VAC standing.

As far as online MP flying goes, in addition to possibly running afoul of a VAC ban, Ataros gives a valid enough reason for me to fly online with only the default skins - I don't want to create any stutters for other onliners.

I'll just need to keep back-up copies of the default skins folders so I can quickly swap them in when I venture into online MP servers.

Many thanks for the helpful advice, everyone above!

Charlo
Old 08-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corchard View Post
So, I'm probably going to take the risk of flying off-line SP with historically-correct skins while still connected through Steam, and I'll do what Blackdog recommended and check my VAC standing.
VAC only applies to multiplayer. Being connected to Steam and running non-approved modifications won't get you banned if you only run the game in singleplayer mode, so you are not really taking any risk there. Just check your VAC status from time to time just in case
Old 08-28-2011, 04:28 AM
Approved Member

Click on the "Steam" label on the menu bar and choose "settings", a pop-up box with various tabs will appear.

The first tab selected by default is labeled "account". Third line from the top, right below your registered username and email, is your VAC status.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Approved Member

I'll be curious if anyone posts here that their VAC status is anything other than "In good standing".

In the meantime, my plan I posted above is working... sorta.

I've gotten a number of skins with hakenkreuzen working in some missions I've created or downloaded - but for some reason, not all of the planes for which I have set a custom skin in the FMB will display in the actual mission, only in the 3d viewer as I edit the planes. I'm saving the mission before I fly it, but in some cases, for example, only 3 of the 9 planes in that group display the custom skins during the mission.

It also turns out I can't find in my CloD install the default skins for most of the German planes - the Dorniers, Heinkels, Junkers and FW-200 - so I can't try my hand at editing those.

I'll just have to keep looking for some custom skins that others have posted for those planes, ideally those that allow me to leave markings checked.

Charlo