Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Approved Member

Default E-7? terrain color?

Just a few for questions for those in the know:
Will the 109E-7 be modeled on SoW_BoB? If so, will it be modeled with the 79 gallon drop tank?

Will the color of the terrain be different from IL2?

What are the differences between SoW-BoB, and Rowan's BoB2, aside from online playability?

I'm sure these questions have been addressed ages ago, but perhaps there is something new to report, or different perspectives now?
Flyby
Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Approved Member

Default Re: E-7? terrain color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99th_Flyby
Just a few for questions for those in the know:
Will the 109E-7 be modeled on SoW_BoB? If so, will it be modeled with the 79 gallon drop tank?

Will the color of the terrain be different from IL2?

What are the differences between SoW-BoB, and Rowan's BoB2, aside from online playability?

I'm sure these questions have been addressed ages ago, but perhaps there is something new to report, or different perspectives now?
Flyby
The wingtank wasn't used in BOB because of it's alarming tendency to catch fire in flight. Had it been things just might have been a bit different...

A nice option would be for it to be allowed. One can do this in BOBWOV but the wingtank isn't modeled. You just get a higher reserve of fuel to fly the 109 is all..

The difference between BOBWOV and BOBSOW when it comes out? HMMM..

Of course the new game will have better graphics and more aircraft. BOBWOV's "air graphics" and cockpits ain't all that bad. The AI in the shockwave game is very very good and BOBSOW will have to go a "fur piece" to beat it which I somehow doubt they will do given the statements in the past about that about that.

Weather effects will be similar. BOBWOV models them really well but it really takes a big cpu to handle them with a lot of aircraft in the air. I imagine BOBSOW will react in the same way.

Lots of aircraft in the air at one time..I imagine in BOBSOW one will have to turn down the "eye candy" quite a bit to get it flyable on a slightly lower line computer.

These are all "semi-educated guesses" Judging from the statments about BOBSOW I believe they are generally right..
Old 10-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Approved Member

Default thanks Stalkervision

Good reply. I recall reading that the E7 could take a 79 gallon tank, ans assumed that it did so, in late November of '40. I also read that the E7 actually dropped bombs over England, and that doing so was considered a wasted effort.
I don't own BoB-WoV, but i've read that it's pretty good in a lot of ways, and so I wondered at the matchup. It should be interesting, especially with the AI issue you mentioned, and the number of planes in the air.
I hope the color of the terrain will be better than that of IL2. IMHO, I always thought the greens were way too bright and didn't look very natural. Actually I always thought the terrain colors in CFS1 looked pretty decent.
Anyway, thanks for the reply. Good stuff.
Flyby
Old 10-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Approved Member

Default Re: thanks Stalkervision

Quote:
Good reply. I recall reading that the E7 could take a 79 gallon tank, ans assumed that it did so, in late November of '40. I also read that the E7 actually dropped bombs over England, and that doing so was considered a wasted effort.
I don't own BoB-WoV, but i've read that it's pretty good in a lot of ways, and so I wondered at the matchup. It should be interesting, especially with the AI issue you mentioned, and the number of planes in the air.
I hope the color of the terrain will be better than that of IL2. IMHO, I always thought the greens were way too bright and didn't look very natural. Actually I always thought the terrain colors in CFS1 looked pretty decent.
Anyway, thanks for the reply. Good stuff.
Flyby

Yes, in fact the e7's did drop bombs over england. The fighter pilots hated carrying those crummy bombs though and usually dropped them anywhere on england as soon as possible and flew back home saying "mission accomplished!"

Hay they had no "bombsites" on their planes and were't bomber pilots so who could blame them..

In the mean time while your waiting (which may be a long while.. ) I suggest you pick up a copy of BOBWOV to practice on before hand for he upcomng series and battle.

If you get to be a really good fighter pilot in BOBWOV then BOBSOW will be a piece of cake..

And you will be already to plaster all those new Multiplayer pilots in BOBSOW because the Ai in BOBWOV is really quite excellent. If you can beat it then human players will be a snap...
Old 10-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkervision
And you will be already to plaster all those new Multiplayer pilots in BOBSOW because the Ai in BOBWOV is really quite excellent. If you can beat it then human players will be a snap...
You mean the AI in BoBWOV is that good that it's better than human opfor?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkervision
You mean the AI in BoBWOV is that good that it's better than human opfor?

The ai is truly excellent IMO. If you attack a enemy pilot and don't shoot him down on the first pass which isn't always possible because they are excellent at getting away, he and his wingman will tag team you to death if you don't somehow get far enough away from them. They will also quite frequently call in others to help them finish you off! I have had six to 8 enemy aircraft on my tail at one time..

The ai in bobwov are VERY realistic and historically accurate. They also make quite excellent counter moves to all your moves and are quite unpredictable even! They are nothing like Il-2's lets just say "less then satisfactory" ai ...

In human play there are good players and bad players. They don't work in teams most of the time or have the ability of BOBWOV's Ai IMO..

they are also entirely "mission oriented" The fights in BOBWOV don't just turn into low altitude "one on one shooter fests"
Old 10-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Approved Member

agreed.

I've only dabbled with sp quick action stuff. That alone is pretty hard in itsself.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Approved Member

Default impressive...

I'm not genrally into offline play, but I may have to give that one a go. Price should be reasonalble now since it's been out a while.
thanks!
Flyby
PS Someone send Oleg a copy so he can up the AI intellect. (don't ban me!!!)
Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

Default Re: impressive...

Quote:
I'm not genrally into offline play, but I may have to give that one a go. Price should be reasonalble now since it's been out a while.
thanks!
Flyby
PS Someone send Oleg a copy so he can up the AI intellect. (don't ban me!!!)
Very resonable and well worth it believe me!

If olegs AI in the new game is half as good as this one I will pleased...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

I am worried about the terrain colour. I prefer the pre-DCS Lomac and EAW. Perhaps I have a "difference in colour perception"...I also recall liking JWW2F.

Anyway, I hope we will be able to change the textures for the main terrain or that an option for colour saturation will be included.