Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Registered Member

Default Your Favorite and least Favorite MS in SW 3

I'm just wondering which Motherships you guys like best in SW 3

Mind you, statistic like hull, shield, etc, don't count. What is your favorite Mothership just by looks.

As for me. Well, as interesting as the Lion cruiser is, I have to admit that I personally liked the Astarte best. I think that's a really cool looking ship and I really felt kind of sorry to trade her in for another MS.

As for my least Favorite MS. Hm, that's a tough one, actually. I was never that fond of the Berserk design, so the Manticore didn't really appeal to me.

The Rhino has a nice mesh, but the textures of the vessel are a mess. I mean, it's basecally the Mothership from SW 1 with some extensions to it. You could have kept some of the details of the ship like... Well, the glowing windows for example. The Rhino is just a grey mess of steel, with no view port to the outside anywhere. I don't really like that. :-/

There's another MS based on the Rhino that you get from Admiral Trump, I think, and that looks really ugly. The textures of that ship are just plain messed up.

Then there's the Star Wolf herself. I didn't like how they had to double the size of the belt area... you know, the section between the upper and lower half with all of them windows in it. To have the section single like in Star Wolves 1 would have been okay, but two are definately to much. It just doesn't look right. :-/

Well... Okay, bottom line...

My least favourite ships are the Rhino and Manticore. Manticore because I don't like the Berserk design and the Rhino becaused of the rather lame texture work.

Well, with that out of the way... What about you guys? Which MS are your favourites and least favourites and for what reasons?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Approved Member

Well i have only had 3 motherships so far, i currently have the Bastiff.

Since the Bastiff is the coolest MS you get at the start of the game i have to say that i like it so far. The MS that i hate the most so far is the Heavy Trader it's just plain ugly. Where do i get MS #4?

To be honest most Ships in this game are kinda ugly and weird looking, but i like the game non the less. I think many of the fighters should be re modelled because sometimes the weapons on them are so big that it just looks like a flying weapons platform rather than a fighter.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Approved Member

The best is definitely Lion cruiser and the worst so far is Star Wolf as it only has one heavy gun slot
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Approved Member

No doubt....

Lion Cruiser....better after visiting the MFS HeadQuarters!!!!ALL FREE!!!HuiaHuiHAihAIUhAHuAIUhaUI hAIu
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Approved Member

The funny thing is, the Lion Cruiser MK2 you get from Trump is much better than the prototype that Viper gives you...
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Probably because a prototype is worse than the mark2 (hence redone) version of a thing

I think its not a protype advanced version but the prototype of the lion mk1 before that went regular build
Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiaf View Post
I think its not a protype advanced version but the prototype of the lion mk1 before that went regular build
The Lion Viper gives you is a Lion MK1 that was used as a test bed for the new technologies used in the Lion MK2, while the Lion that Trump gives you is the mass production Lion MK2 model.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaki View Post
The funny thing is, the Lion Cruiser MK2 you get from Trump is much better than the prototype that Viper gives you...
The Lion from Viper is faster and more agile, but has 10k armor vs 12k. All in all I think they are almost identical.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Approved Member

and 4000 shields vs 4500...

After taking a good look at the New Restoration Project and the game's files, I found out there is a LOT of Lion versions out there...

You have the MK1, which is only seen with the Moscow and the Invincible.

You have the MK2, but there are two seperate versions of it. There is one without a docking bay (it has the engine block of a MK1, while the rest of the body is a MK2), and one with a docking bay, the one with a docking bay is the version Trump gives you (obviously, as you need a docking bay in order to dock with it).

Than there is the MK3, which is the Lion that is given to you by Viper. I think it was originally supposed to be a prototype for the MK4 version (which makes sense, all things considered), with superior speed, manuverability, armor, and weapons to the MK2 (if the description of the MK4 is to be believed). However, it seems like at the last minute the developers decided to change it to a prototype of the MK2, and give it weaker armor and shielding (compared to the MK2) in exchange for higher speed and manuverability.

There is than the MK4 version. It looks visually identical to the Viper Prototype (which is what originally gave me the cue that Viper's Lion was not a MK2 prototype, but a prototype of the MK4), and you can see them in the New Restoration Project shipyards (alongside both MK2 versions).

The MK4 version is unplayable, it lacks lights, docking hardpoints, weapon hardpoints, and its practically identical to the MK3 anyway. So, if I understand this right...

MK1 - Original version, lacks a docking bay, has five turrets, four systems, the Moscow has 10000 HP, 5000 shields. The Invincible has 15000 hitpoints and 10000 shields. I imagine the Invincible's stats are artifically inflated to make it a harder to fight target.

MK2 - Same thing as original, except with the lower part of the hull slightly lowered and two heavy caliber guns added that fit in between the two halves of the hull. One turret was removed (for balance reasons, the hardpoint is still there, just unused). It seems like it originally had 14000 HP and 5000 shields (the unused MK2 lions have these stats), but this was later nerfed to 12000 HP, 4500 shields.

There are two versions. One with the docking bay, one without.

MK3 - The upper half of the hull was cut in half, and it has 10000 HP, 4000 shields. Like the MK2, its fifth turret hardpoint is still there, just unused. It is slightly faster than the MK2.

MK4 - No visual difference from the MK3. 10000 HP, 5000 shields, no weapons or systems. Probably was never meant to be anything other than a display piece. Description says it should have better armor, weapons, speed, and manuverability.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

I'm curious what you all like about the Lion's looks? It seems a bit like a high tech, umm.. doorstop or something to my eyes. Not putting down anyone's taste or anything.. just curious what appeals to others. What's to like? If the weapons where layed out to take advantage of the sloping front more it might make sense.

As for the Astarte, well it doesn't really look like a ship at all to me. And the texturing is a bit weak. Simple repeating tech patterns with little in the way of realistic details. I mean.. it's just patterns - maybe pulled out of some royalty free "tech" texture pack they licensed. The Lion at least seems to have a purpose built texture and looks cohesive.

I'm not sure I really like any of the motherships, but I don't mind the Mastiff if the turrets where better placed. I'm still waiting to see what the Alex line ship looks like. The Star Wolf is ok but dated.