Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Approved Member

Default Classic Movie:Battle of Britain

Watching it now. All star cast, epic air combat scenes, using real aircraft instead of CGI......... they just don't make movies like that anymore. I wonder how many times Oleg and his team have watched it..........
Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Approved Member

It is great isn't it. Another one of my favorites is Tora Tora Tora. I think it's a much better movie than Midway, real Japanese actors for Japanese charators. I don't like seeing Arnold the fry cook from Happy Days playing some officer on a Japanese carrier.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Approved Member

Yes!! Tora Tora Tora is another of my favs. Midway is a great movie, but not accurate or realistic. I've read someone is making another movie about Midway.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Approved Member

Well it is a classic, but there are a lot of things where you would say "does that have to be" just need to think of the foney German squadrons never heard of a KG 745 and stuff like that, then a squadron where son and dad are in one and run around in white uniform jackets, also the licenced built spanish 109s and He111 are a bit, but o.k.. What really bugs is that silly blond tyke, that is about the most useless part in the whole movie. Also certain battle scenes so very clearly see they are plastic models.
But good is a old movie.
I personally prefer although not as old and maybe less dramtic "Foyles War" which is a marvelous series.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs [CV] View Post
Yes!! Tora Tora Tora is another of my favs. Midway is a great movie, but not accurate or realistic. I've read someone is making another movie about Midway.
Tora tora tora is great, Midway you have the feeling they did a bit of cut & paste from Tora tora tora, especially the B17 landing scene with one wheel exact the same scene in both movies.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutz View Post
..................., then a squadron where son and dad are in one and run around in white uniform jackets, ................s.
they were not ment to be real son and dad
the squad CO just called this older officer, who was responsible for the paperwork in the office, like a Dad
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
they were not ment to be real son and dad
the squad CO just called this older officer, who was responsible for the paperwork in the office, like a Dad
O.k. but that white gala Uniform out on a field airfield looks very out of place.
Especially as it is early in the war, in the late war period, uniforms especially with the luftwaffe became rather "individual"

Also from a German point of view is the movie "Der Stern von Afrika" from 1959 very good, even though the battle scenes look very stereo type and "old fashion"
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Approved Member

You're always gonna have a bit of fluff in any movie. Yes there are scenes that coulda been cut, but those scenes also show the human side of the war. These pilots (on both sides) had sweethearts and lives beyond being a bomber/fighter pilot. I love the combat scenes and the scenes on the ground with all the Spits/Hurricanes/109s and Heinkles, just awesome.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Quite a bit of the unused flying footage from the original Battle of Britain was rescued and used in the Czech film "Dark Blue World".

Of course they made lots of new footage as well ...

good shot of reflector sight in action at 0:54 and 1:02

Last edited by WTE_Galway; 12-14-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs [CV] View Post
You're always gonna have a bit of fluff in any movie. Yes there are scenes that coulda been cut, but those scenes also show the human side of the war. These pilots (on both sides) had sweethearts and lives beyond being a bomber/fighter pilot. I love the combat scenes and the scenes on the ground with all the Spits/Hurricanes/109s and Heinkles, just awesome.
Absolutely agree, but in that movie that blond is a sort of gap filler is the feeling you get, also look at the way her hair is done, that is typical sixties hairdo and not one from the period. That is why she sticks out like a sore thumb, unconvincing role, and looks that are out of period.
Even though I do not like certain parts I do watch that movie now and then over and over again.
But I will admit I am a detail nut.