Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Capture the flag as an online play mode option?
Wow! Sounds like a great idea! 55 44.00%
Pffft! What a garbage idea! 53 42.40%
OMG! The pilots are still .03% too small!!! Whhhaaa! 17 13.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Approved Member

Great!

Can I get the Su-26?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Great idea! Perfect for letting off some steam after an intense frustrating mission or something. Sometimes you have to just walk away from the "full real" aspect and have a little fun!

This got me thinking of what else could be done. What about another mode, similar to say "Battlefield 1942" or "Star Ways: Battlefront"..? For instance, both sides start out with one base each with some neutral bases in between to be captured by either side. All of this on a small area of the HUGE map of coarse, and airstarts for everyone. Bases could be taken by flying circles over the base (around a beacon of some sort perhaps) at a low altitude (below 2000m?) for an certain amount of time, and the time decreases with the more players that are flying overhead. All bases that are captured are protected by AA. If you are shot down, there is a 30 second respawn time before you spawn over the friendly base of your choice. While you're waiting to respawn you can switch planes, and loadouts. Team that gets say 100 kills or captures all bases within the time period (an hour?) wins the round, otherwise the team with the most kills wins. If you've ever played any Battlefield game then you get the point. This is all only if the game engine could support this type of gameplay of coarse.
- 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Lapped IHS - AsRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - MSI GTX 560 Ti 2Gb - Crutial M4 SATA3 64Gb SSD - 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz @ 8-8-8-21 RAM - Silverstone 750w Fully Modular PSU - Antec 1200 ATX Case - Zalman 9700 Cooler - Win7 Ultimate x64 -
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I like the idea of CTF to change things up.

And you can just have the flag on a timer so asshats just dont pick up the flag and climb up to the heavens and head for the corners of the map.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Approved Member

Maybe it should be "capture the airfield". Some transport aircraft (AI or human) spawn from the main base and try to land on neutral or enemy airfields in order to capture them.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Hecke

I think the idea is great. Sounds like a lot of fun. The hangar shouldn't be too big to make it a little harder to fly through.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Approved Member

Your poll choices are kinda off center but if something like this would be implemented I'd say that both sides should fly Su-26's with paint job to match the side ie. Red/white and Blue/white, Flying through the hanger is pretty cool but having an altitude limit would be a great way to keep it close to the deck and stealing the flag back would have to be implemented in a non-violent way so as to keep it "fun", perhaps getting within feet of the flag carrier and using the gun button to take it. When you get close enough a text prompt would show on screen that you are in range to steal it and the flag carrier would get a similar message that "pilot name" is attemting to steal the flag. Really it could make for some interesting manuevering and aerobatics.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krt_Bong View Post
Your poll choices are kinda off center but if something like this would be implemented I'd say that both sides should fly Su-26's with paint job to match the side ie. Red/white and Blue/white, Flying through the hanger is pretty cool but having an altitude limit would be a great way to keep it close to the deck and stealing the flag back would have to be implemented in a non-violent way so as to keep it "fun", perhaps getting within feet of the flag carrier and using the gun button to take it. When you get close enough a text prompt would show on screen that you are in range to steal it and the flag carrier would get a similar message that "pilot name" is attemting to steal the flag. Really it could make for some interesting manuevering and aerobatics.
I think the SU-26 would be a good option, but I'd still want to have access to fighters for a more action packed version. Bombers would be cool as well, harder to get though the hanger, slower, but they take more damage and have better defensive armaments.

Altitude and map limits would be a definate must as well. Last thing you'd want is a 109 hitting the roof or some guy in a Spit deciding it would be fun to fly 50km north of the action.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM
EvilJoven

An artificial altitude limit would probably be fairly easy to implement, too. Do something like write it so that when the game mode is CTF and a plane goes above say 2500m AGL the engine starts choking out the same way it does when a hurricane starts pulling negative Gs.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Approved Member

I'd like to see some sort of territorial game mode. If we had big maps maybe something like Warbirds had many years ago where you bombed an airfield's AA/Fuel/Hangars then the server announced it was down and you had to land on it quickly, it became quite an artform ducking in under enemy fire and landing with your gear up to make the landing as quick as possible.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Approved Member

For a bit of fun, I really like this idea. Bonus points if there's a server variable that chooses whether the flag sits on the ground/ floats in a lifeboat on the surface of the sea when the flag-carrier is shot down, or resets to the original hangar, depending on how fast-paced you want it to be.