Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 08-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
I have been tweaking the prop pitch to maintain suitable temps, would this not be accurate? My first flight in the Spit IIa resulted in overheating, but now I can keep her where she needs to be with prop pitch.
I find prop pitch has more effect on temps than boost does. Needle at about 12 position (straight up) with radiator opened if temps are rising normally works.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
I find prop pitch has more effect on temps than boost does. Needle at about 12 position (straight up) with radiator opened if temps are rising normally works.
That's been my experience as well, but I am no pro on how these birds are supposed to run, so I wanna make sure I am not doing more work than I should be, or adjusting something I shouldnt be. I really do love CEM...
Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Approved Member

In RL manuals there are power settings for engine which give you information which power settings and how long you could use safelty.

Unfortunately regarding British fighters CLOD is still wrong in these area and you have to used lower power settings ( expecially RPMs) too not broke engine when IRL you could used much higher settings.

Other hand e.x. in CLOD 109 E could fly all day long at 5 minutes emergency power settings - 1.35 Ata 2400 RPMs.

Not mention that near all these planes had reduced ab. 20-30 mph in their maximum speed and have too low service celling.

1C still have a lot work to in CEM and performacne of these planes.

Thats the problem is
Old 08-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiatek View Post
In RL manuals there are power settings for engine which give you information which power settings and how long you could use safelty.

Unfortunately regarding British fighters CLOD is still wrong in these area and you have to used lower power settings ( expecially RPMs) too not broke engine when IRL you could used much higher settings.

Other hand e.x. in CLOD 109 E could fly all day long at 5 minutes emergency power settings - 1.35 Ata 2400 RPMs.

Not mention that near all these planes had reduced ab. 20-30 mph in their maximum speed and have too low service celling.

1C still have a lot work to in CEM and performacne of these planes.

Thats the problem is
Well the good news there is that we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on the graphics issues (not there just yet) so I would think more effort can be put into the FM of each plane.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
Just one or two things to add to the above posts.

I always warm the water temp to 60 degrees or preferably 80 before moving at all. I don't take much notice of the oil temp in any of the Spits while I'm on the ground.

Once the water is up to above 60, take off at max revs/max boost, without engaging 'emergency' boost. Gear up, and allow airspeed to exceed 185mph before throttling back to +4 boost and changing prop pitch to give 2800rpm. Throttle adjust to give +5 boost, or + 6.25 if you're in a rush. Then watch your temps, and reduce revs with prop pitch if oil exceeds 95 degrees, reduce boost if coolant exceeds 110 degrees. Your engine won't blow because of water temp until 120 degrees. Set your rad at halfway open/closed.

For a nice relaxing climb, set revs at 2500rpm and throttle to +5 boost. Unless there are bogies above your airfield, why stress your engine? Climb rate at 165mph, 2500rpm and +5 boost is about 2000ft per min.

This is from memory, so some specific mph/RoC figs may be slightly off. But don't fly your plane at max performance everywhere at all times. It wouldn't happen in real life, so it shouldn't happen in the game.
Very helpful, thanks.