Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg52krupi View Post
so now that the game is running well for a lot of people we need to get that weather system up and running soooo... Lets say next by next friday i want to see some good old british weather :d

no pressure :p
salute..
Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Approved Member

It is possible to change the degree of icing in certain cloud types (eg cumulus/thunder)
see thread
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=31959
for some strange reason the default setting is full icing

You can play around with the user created clouds somewhat using these settings and get some nice effects with certain views- the limited draw distance being the limitation here (along with fps)

As a WIP it shows promise, and given there were ' a suprising amount of crashes' involving use of 'unsupported clouds' it appears that quite a few people want this feature, even in its current state,
Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutts View Post
Agreed, icing should depend on a number of conditions and aircraft sputtering as soon as they enter a cloud is not right. If icing conditions do exist within the cloud then there should be some time allowed for ice to accumulate in the carb, leading edge and prop etc. and a few warning signs perhaps before the real trouble starts.

I know icing could be a real problem - a Halifax fell out of the sky not far from where I live due to ice build up on wings while gaining height for a mission.
I remind a report of test pilot looking for icing conditions for a particular test, and unable to find them in a cloudy day.

But when you get ice on the airframe, it should be much more difficult than actual model, the ice does'nt get away so easily out of the airframe, in particular when flying high (cold temperature), then it does'nt get away at all ...

X-Plane 10 weather system and icing is indeed good, sometimes make it almost impossible to climb through certain layer of clouds, it would ice the wings and prevent you from crossing them, throwing you down for a live emergency de-icing lesson

Sutts, ice on leading edge rise the stall speed, reduces the lift, adds in drag. Frlyin in such conditions starts to become more and more challenging.

Last edited by jf1981; 08-06-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Approved Member

Unfortunately Luthier said the dynamic weather is on hold until the sequel.

I don't think there will be any 'placeholder' weather effects before that either. Suspect it would not be worth the effort. They probably will need to exert major effort to get the dynamic weather running at decent fps.

As said, icing effect is variable in engine but set for now at a default very high setting - hence icing up in English summer clouds.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

An implemented weather system would be totally awesome! Cant wait to finally fly through cloud cover with rain dashing against the cockpit. But honestly, there are a lot more urgent things to work on IMHO!

Anyway what I would like the devs should work on now is the following:

1. Just a little further optimization in terms of stuttering (i STILL have stutters in game, but my fps are never less than 30 fps thx to the new medium effects setting... avg 50 which is great basically, but there is still a "decent" amout of stuttering low level) Apart from this I am quite happy with the performance right now! If further optimization to remove stuttering isnt possible without dumbing things down, i am fine with that too! as long as better hardware can erase stutters etc eventually its okay for me!

2. steady work on the FM/DM, but they are on the right way I think! (this includes correction of some mistakes in cockpit modelling as well, like the Blenheim boost gauge, the many many minor flaws in the 109 and 110 cockpit (see bugtracker)and in other planes)

3. bugfixing of the long list of minor bugs which are annoying due to the sheer amount of it (retracted landing gear online; AI gunner control; weird red graphic bugs in cockpit when wounded; objects can be seen through clouds etc.)

4. Fully operational Communications system

5. Bring back high clouds, maybe canopy reflection in the distance and better view of distant objects like buildings (bombing is a little hard right now, because the targets appear way too late)

6. Enhance and improve sounds (sometimes missing AA and enemy gun fire hit sounds; more ambient sounds like tweeting birds, working sounds on an airfield, crushing waves etc; sounds of smashing und crushing glass and gauges when your cockpit is hit) In general: I want just more sounds to get this thing ALIVE so it feels real!

7. Physics: broken parts of another aircraft should damage you if you are hit by them (this would revolutionize the combat in terms of caution by an attack etc)
Tree collision model (this would revolutionize emergency landings and low level combat)

8. Some corrections of the netcode (this includes the landing gear retracted bug and other flaws while flying online)

This is my personal wishlist for CloD. If they can manage to correct these mistakes, I consider this game as "complete and totally awesome to play" I know this seems to be a huge list, but some of this bugs should be pretty easy to solve while others take more time. Anyway this is no waste of time for the devs, because nearly all of it is necessary for a successful sequel either way!

Every other extension, like a fully functional weather system (maybe dynamic, but not necessarily), navigation and landing lights or the MUCH NEEDED Coop System has time till the release of the sequel... of course then all new features should be applied to CloD as well!!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Approved Member

Great argument Krupi,
this is the feature I most desired that should be implemented in CloD, but I think we will wait alot of months before we can enjoy of it.
Months before the release of CloD, on this forum, I wished for a weather system (even not dynamic) like BOB II one.
We will see....but... 15 months to fix a 'not_fixed_yet' flickering shadows, how much time for an extremely hardware demanding feature? I suppose the dev team doesn't have the requested skill/knowhow for those new generation graphic engines... the reviled WOP had a better weather feature (recheck the rain effect on the canopy and low clouds), every arcadish game has a less or more convincent weather feature...but we are prone to stigmatize (laughing) the fact that those are only sims for child. Neverthless...every FPS game or driving sim or train sim or platform game has a backdrop, a semblance of populated skydome....CloD..the combat flight simulation of 3rd millenium, thanks to the hard work of the guru/devs has the vacuum.
Sorry, I hope a whining every eight months is allowed.
Thanks

Last edited by pupaxx; 08-06-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Approved Member

yes, at least some fake clouds till the horizon, like in the last versions of IL2.
Not only 10 clouds around the airplane. Come on! This is the major thing that needs to be fixed in my opinion right now, everything else is fine or acceptable.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Approved Member

Why can't they just use REX like they do in FSX? Doesn't even cause a FPS hit either.

Last edited by PotNoodles; 08-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotNoodles View Post
Why can't they just use REX like they do in FSX? Doesn't even cause a FPS hit either.
Because they are flat 2d renders not 3d renders as in IL2 1946 and CoD
Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Because they are flat 2d renders not 3d renders as in IL2 1946 and CoD

Interesting....what would happen if you were to climb up to one of these 2d clouds that we see in the video? Would it just disappear or would the windows fog up for a few seconds?