Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Approved Member

ROF trees in CoD, Do NOT want!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Approved Member

I agree with the criticism of the trees on appearance, density, numbers, positioning.

No collision detection is also major.

I too much prefer the ROF trees - they look excellent down low. Also ROF has got positioning and placement correct so that it all blends better to create a believable landscape. (and I don't find their slight movement in ROF an issue or annoyance).

After their mea culpas on initial state of the sound engine and then state of graphics engine - and subsequent rewrites for both, I suspect that if truth be told they would also admit to a majorly screwed up landscape / terrain / tree implentation.

The difference in this case is I doubt if they will feel compelled to fix it.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Approved Member

i dont fly ROF, without the exception, that i once tried the demo version.i immediately noticed the "turning" of the trees, which indeed looks distracting.
but what i think, what ROF does way better than CLOD,is the colours.everytime i look at screenshots or vids from ROF, it looks photorealistic, regarding the colours.its just miles ahead of CLOD.
if we could have those colours in CLOD, plus trees like ROF with collision model, without the spinning effect, then a dream would come true...
Old 05-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Approved Member

I will be happy if the trees get a decent collision model in the near future and stops shimmering. That my biggest concerns with the trees.
Maybe on top that the trees in medium distance dont have this 2Di-ish looks, but I could live with that if they only have a collision detection

I really do not want the "wandering" trees of RoF.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Approved Member

Part of the problem with COD's trees is they wave around as if blown by the wind, which causes the shadows to shimmer and flicker.
If they stopped the movement it would help loads and i doubt we would notice or miss it.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
Part of the problem with COD's trees is they wave around as if blown by the wind, which causes the shadows to shimmer and flicker.
If they stopped the movement it would help loads and i doubt we would notice or miss it.
Right. The trees look fine to me
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
Or only enable it while we are on the ground during start up. In the air or on taxi it doesn't matter so they don't need to sway. Playing GTR 1 + 2 I'd notice trees swaying, but only if you were still. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Speed Tree is the issue with most of the graphic problems in the game. I have no real reason to believe that, but it's a hunch.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Approved Member

A option would be good, im sure its the reason the shadows flicker and shimmer.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Approved Member

Agreed furbs, but I think having some decent AA would remove or reduce the flickering.

Oh and we need more variety where's the chestnut and oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
Welcome to the il2 community... "I don't care if my plane is flying backwards where the smeg are my hedges"....
Welcome to the il2 community... "I don't care if the graphics look like CFS 1 where the heck is my 0,05% FM correction"....

Last edited by Jatta Raso; 05-17-2012 at 12:39 PM.