Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Approved Member

Default If we could only have new trees....

Playing this great sim for 420 hours now and many more are to come.......
but one kept annoying me all the time during these 420 hours....the trees.

Form above 1 km they look fine with different set of colours.
But from close the trees look ugly, the trees are glittering and the shadow of the trees are glittering too. There are also 2d images added amongs the trees to make it look like a forest. And if this is not enough you can fly through them.

New better trees would make this game look so much better!
This is an example from Rise of Flight, if we could have these!

Corsair 12GB 1600 Mhz
OZC SSD 120GB

Last edited by Bloblast; 05-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Approved Member

and you can actually hit them.....
Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Approved Member

I also like how ROF colors forests from high up, they look great and much more realistic.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Approved Member

+1
Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

Also the trees in ROF make a thrashing sound against your plane when you hit the tops of them. Very cool!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Approved Member

Agreed. The trees we have no are ugly and don't have damage model. Worst case really.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Approved Member

I don't have them on. I never really understood the idea of having the quantity of trees on a landscape as user selectable and having no collision detection. Seems as though the new GFX engine is sticking with what we have.

The console version BOP (and its cousin WOP for the PC) had trees as a fixed part of the landscape. If you flew close to them you could hear the rustle of the leaves - but hit a branch and your wing got ripped off. I expected to see something similar with ClOD - there must have been a reason for MG to have opted for what we have though I don't know what it is or why.

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Approved Member

As much as i agree, i think the current performance patch must come clean first

Then there should be a FM revision focusing on AC performance and some other details (such as messing up flaps when deployed at high speeds, radiator and canopy drag, polishing some engine management procedures, further improving AI, enhancing sounds, enabling full GUI functionality, basic tree collision model...)

After that a third patch should take place addressing the graphic issues (wave scale, shorelines, maybe clouds, better aim reticules with day/night switches...)

When current performance patch goes final, maybe the devs are free to work on graphics and FM issues simultaneously; although as they're allocating more and more resources to BOM, perhaps an external team patching CLoD would be preferable, like with Daidalos Team with IL-2 1946

Last edited by Jatta Raso; 05-16-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Approved Member

IDK. I'm probably in the minority here. Apart from the non existant crash detection and graphical issues I think the trees look fine in CoD.

I have no real issues with them in RoF either, but all the trees spin like they are on Christmas pedestals.... or like ballerinas from the start up loading menu. It's always been disconcerting to see them do that. I'll be following a Fokker, and suddenly I'm like a chimpanzee with something shiney. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Approved Member

They said they are rendering the Trees/Grass/Clouds and that it would take 9 days, but whats rendering suppose to mean? The bit I don't like about the trees is that I think there are far to many of them. They should also be closer together aswell because with no collisions you spend your time flying through trees when low to the ground.