Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Approved Member

Any news if this will be addressed? Personally I now think the waves aren't too bad, I just wish they 'crashed' on the beaches.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 PM
speculum jockey

Obviously this is a very low priority at this moment, but Foobar's second image in his last post summed it up nicely. Look at the two different ship sizes in that photo. The larger ship v.s. the waves looks just about perfect.

I'm not a programmer, but wouldn't it be pretty simple to just set the waves textures to 1/2 scale and the same with whatever programming generates the waves?

waves.ini

waves enabled = 1 (value)
wave scale = 50 (percent)
wave speed = 75 (percent)
waves detail level = 5 (value)
wave nitpicking = 1 (value)
Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Approved Member

well, water was one of the things that is a placeholder supposedly. so we should just wait i guess.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

I've always thought the clod water to be a rather over scale. Thankfully the waves aren't in fast-forward mode anymore though. Not sure if the devs would compress the detail much more however, as five times more detail onscreen might mean 5x more resources to run it.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Approved Member

seems like almost everything in the whole entire game was/is a place holder
Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Approved Member

Its weird how the players notice things completely different to the casual on looker. My wife walked past (normally she isn't the slightest bit interested!) and said "the waves are wrong!" I looked at her and asked what was wrong about the waves..she said the waves were coming inshore at a 90 degree angle to the beach (on the particualr section of coast I was over!)

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Approved Member

It can get pretty choppy in the North Sea. I have been on it a few times so I can talk from experience. What we need here is a Geography master. Surely it depends on high or low tide on the coast lines, prevailing wind direction and speed.

Maybe its because the dynamic weather isnt fully working?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

[Posted earlier]

The waves look very unrealistic from high up. They should not be visible. They make the cliffs look much too small and as they are a crucial indication of the scale of objects they also give a wrong impression of altitude.

Flying online as Setback.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
[Posted earlier]

The waves look very unrealistic from high up. They should not be visible. They make the cliffs look much too small and as they are a crucial indication of the scale of objects they also give a wrong impression of altitude.

Weather conditions!

Im looking at this and the width height is five metres.

http://www.northseaweather.co.uk/

How can you compare a fine day with an image of the game?! Are your weather conditions the same? Thats like comparing a rough day with a calm day and saying its the same place so it should be the same. Your photo is from about 3 times the height and a different angle. Is the in game weather conditions working with the sea yet? Have you ever seen or been on the North sea? You take something as complex as weather and add a photo of a totally different weather front and think "thats how it must be"?

Have you even considered the complexity of it all?

Last edited by 5./JG27.Farber; 01-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Approved Member

I think the waves are too big which destroys our ability to judge heights.

Some definitions from bom.gov.au
Quote:
Swell waves are the regular longer period waves generated by distant weather systems. There may be several sets of swell waves travelling in different directions, causing a confused sea state.
If the confused state we're seeing represents swells I'ld expect to see regular lines of swell comming in from the west and down from from the North sea and the confused state where they intersect.

Quote:
Sea (or wind) waves are generated by the local prevailing wind and vary in size according to the length of time a particular wind has been blowing, the fetch (distance the wind has blown over the sea) and the water depth.
If what we are seeing are "Sea's" they would be accompanied with very high local winds, which are just not there.

I hope what we've got currently are just place holders. We need a realistic representation of both to be realistic.

Why?
First off, to be able to judge our height above the waves for keeping under the radar, and skip bombing etc. at the moment we're fudging it.

Second, we need "sea's" to be able to accuratly judge wind speed and direction when traveling over bodies of water. ( see Beaufort scale - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale)

Third, we need swells (well I do more than most ) to be depicted accurately because when your ditching your aircraft judging swell size and direction should play a major part in determining if you ditch successfully and survive the landing or plough in and die. At the moment waves, no matter how big, are just eye candy!

How important is getting this model accurate? At the moment the developers have got their hands full and I expect all the modeling aspects are way down the list. But Hopefully it would be simple to reduce the wave size so that it looks more like a 'average' day.

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 01-15-2012 at 12:08 AM.