Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Approved Member

Default Where are the new maps?

I just noticed v4.12 doesn't have any new maps..
Isn't about time we started to see some maps added to the mix? I don't see any discussion on this.

As it stands...

Mods' list of maps...
SSD: Intel 520 Series 240GB
HDD: WD Black 1000GB (1TB)
MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V Socket 1155 Intel Z77 Chipset

Last edited by JG26_EZ; 07-21-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Approved Member

I believe that the Solomons maps were added with 4.12

But I agree that there are a lot of very good modded maps out there which really expand the game. Obviously, some are better than others, but to my untrained eye some of them look really good.

Perhaps TD could do like they did with sound mods and allow users to create and add their own "unofficial" maps.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

A serious discussion on maps would be welcomed. I've been thinking about and doing some reading on how to make maps... if I get far enough along then I will make sure that my maps are intended for an official TD release.

Although I'm not certain on the particulars... a lot of MOD maps are semi-finished and some authors never seem to want to make them available for official patch releases. Some do.

4.12 didn't include any new maps but 4.11 included all of the Solomons maps which are IMHO some of the best work I've seen for the Pacific.

I'd also like to see some of the MOD maps renamed in their releases... in some cases they have reused the original map naming (i.e. Okinawa, Ardennes, etc.) and then changed the map massively. This affects single player as it screws up campaigns not meant for the MOD maps and it really messes with the online world where stock and non-stock players are together.

I'm thinking of making a China themed map. Perhaps starting with a dogfight map to cut my teeth on it. Anyone have resources that could help me with that? I'm trying to decide on an area... and then try and get photos of airbases and the like.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

Solomons were already here.
SSD: Intel 520 Series 240GB
HDD: WD Black 1000GB (1TB)
MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V Socket 1155 Intel Z77 Chipset
Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG26_EZ View Post
I just noticed v4.12 doesn't have any new maps..
Isn't about time we started to see some maps added to the mix? I don't see any discussion on this.
All that is necessary is that somebody provide map done according to specifications and with 100% original content. We will gladly accept and include into the game any such map.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I'm thinking of making a China themed map. Perhaps starting with a dogfight map to cut my teeth on it. Anyone have resources that could help me with that? I'm trying to decide on an area... and then try and get photos of airbases and the like.
China's a bit tricky since the parts where combat occurred were mostly heavily populated and there aren't as many East Asian objects (or specifically Chinese objects) as there might be.

Additionally, IL2 limits you to two different ground textures and parts of China were much more diverse in their terrain. For example, you can't have a mountain/hill terrain texture, plus a tea plantation texture, plus a woods texture, plus a rice paddy texture, all of which you might encounter within a small area of Central China.

To make things even more interesting, many parts of China are prone to floods and farmers flood their rice paddies at certain times of the year. This means that the water textures for the spring map would be very different from those of the autumn or winter maps.

Possibly a map of part of Formosa/Taiwan would work, since some combat took place over it (Japanese invasion in U.S. Carrier raids in 1944). But, the problem there is that the PRC would make trouble for UbiSoft about anything relating to the the Chinese Nationalists, so our Chinese overlords get to veto that one.

A less controversial and equally useful map would be Hong Kong. It would be easier than it looks, since the population and development in 1941 wasn't nearly what it is today. It saw aerial action during the Japanese invasion of 1941, and suffered numerous Allied air raids during the Japanese occupation.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Approved Member

A map of (roughly) the area around Hankow and Yochow would provide
a way to depict the fighting between the US 14th. Air Force and the Japanese Army Air Force during the 1944/45 Ichi-Go campaign. This was the last successful ground campaign prosecuted by the Japanese in WW2, and a great place to put the upcoming P40N to use.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 07-22-2013, 05:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I think the best area for a map would be the regions of Hunan and Hubei, maybe between Wuhan and Changsha. It could be used both for battles early in the war (Battle of Wuhan) and for later operations (Battles of Changsha, Operation Ichi Go).
Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
A map of (roughly) the area around Hankow and Yochow
There's a modded map by agracier which covers the area around Hankow.

Any map of central China would need to be fairly small to allow for the factors I mentioned.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Approved Member

Speaking of maps, how about a method of 'jumping' from one map to another in a single mission format? If you're taking off from the Kuban to patrol over Crimea for instance, from 'England' to Normandy, or from 'Rabaul' to Guadalcanal it would be quite useful. Some way of linking the maps together (and they wouldn't have to be adjacent to each other) with way of assigning fuel burned + altitude gained/lost and time gone on the cockpit clock in a single mission would be very cool.

cheers

horseback