Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr71mb0 View Post
and btw I'm not really pro DRM, but developers do have a right to try and protect the stuff they have invested time and money on.

most of these tiny companies are knife edge as it is.
There is nothing against that, but for the right to use software, for which you pay, to allow anyone who wishes to snoop around and profil you, that is asking a bit much. Ever heard of identity theft? Is becoming more and more easier and a lot of people don´t seem to think what consequences something like that might have on them.
If you got no problems with that fine, but do not expect everyone else to share that attetude.
Software protection yes, but at the cost of lose of privacy no.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Approved Member

such as?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Approved Member

Default OS and SOW

Well when might the next OS come out?

Will SOW work with win 7 64 bit or will we have to do an install dance, if a another new OS is introduced before SOW is released I guess it might be another year or so delay to make it work.

Looks like it may be available around Dec 2013?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Approved Member

I think essentially there are a core of honest paying customers like most of us here.
Maybe what Oleg/1C should do is allow us to register for SOW, which allows us to download the sim, and supply us with an enabling Key (via email or other means). This we can save onto a CD/DVD.

When playing online the server can do a quick authentication check - where it will recognise 'known' (good) customers via a PGP method.

Note that this is not the same as steam where you have to login to steam first before you play.

The pros and cons ar 50/50, but the objective should be for the ease of the good customer, as you are going to get pirates (even with steam) and it can be a community effort to 'disable' these pirates.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:54 AM
Approved Member

I understand what peoples points are on the DRM and net connection. Sorry if I was dismissive. In the end for internet it comes to this: If you want what you pay for, ie: a game, why not apply the same logic to your internet provider? I lived in Australia and rural NZ, now I am in the US. I could of understood the: internet suddenly stops working randomly: point if you are in a rural area and go back 5+ years. Now though there is really no reason you shouldnt have high speed 24/7 internet, and if you dont in Auz the new bill for internet passed will insure you have better net access then the US does!

For the: I like to play on the train comment. = Great, start steam at home, put it into offline mode. Turn on comp on train, select offline mode and play!
DRM ownership: Guys, just because you have a disk doesnt mean you OWN the software. Infact you dont, you OWN the RIGHT to ACCESS the software on the disk (this is how it has always been). Owning would mean you could copy, modify, resell and reproduce the disk and its contents.
I hate DRM, but if it keeps companies open who otherwise are hurt by it, I will take it over no games! Especially steam, which to me while DRM is very very accesable and efficient (I can re-download my games! Unlike Itunes where if your hard drive chokes on a furball from your desk = too bad for you, buy again!)

Seriously people, even in 1998, NZ countryside (rural) I had dialup. I hated competing for internet/phone with parents so we had a second line installed. I never remember it "dropping out" often. If thats an issue you need to contact your service provider. I am in a new house and the wiring for the tv/net was from when it was originaly built in the mid 80s. I was getting sometimes intermitent random drop outs, thats now all fixed.

(the only other time you might have problems is if your in Florida and theres lightning = buy battery backup for comp, Spam connect button! US utilities are horrible, only 12mb/s dl... In Singapore I had 100mb/s+ and no power outs...)

Also wante to add (yes another edit ) that in reply to a reply from my reply to a reply a few pages ago...
For them to open there own shop/drm would take alot of rescources and programming. Then they have to provide server bandwidth/service for all the customers = $
Servers would have to be regional for any decent MP = $
Very limited install base and advertising vs Steam = -$
DRM doesnt work? Incompatible? Firewall problem? = tech support + programming (bug fixing) = -$ + Unhappy customers.
= Bad idea + Plenty more reasons if you want me to go on

Last edited by Heliocon; 01-08-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Approved Member

DRM, ok, but the
"four activated before the game is Locked ", i can tolerate this ( is why i don't buy ROF )

I prefer a "net activation" with account mail and password ( and no-cd required )
or a simply steam connection

I hope the way to protect the game will be the most intelligent as possible
Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Approved Member

A lot of talk, talk,talk, but not a translation of the interview!!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Global Moderator

What are you talking about?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
What are you talking about?
In your first message that is not a translation, but bad English done by Google translator
Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetette View Post
In your first message that is not a translation, but bad English done by Google translator
Yes, you are correct that is what it is.