Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Approved Member

What do the fixed-wing pilots say? Oh yes, helo's are so fugly that the earth repels them.
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
Well, helis can emergency land better than other aircraft, even if their engine fails. You don't need a runway and you can go down almost everywhere "safely". Even if it means destroying the machine itself. With the exeption of a volcano maybe. With a plane you need to reach a runway or you're in big trouble.

What whoamongar says is partially correct - although not fully. Most modern helis do have very developed landing gear - it's also possible to eject or bail out but rarely done. Have you ever seen people eject out of airliners or smaller sport planes? I haven't. In fact I hear of dead people in sport plane accidents all the time. It's very very common.
The same goes for helicopters though. Sadly most of them don't have any ejection technology, only military ones can simply blast off the rotors and then eject the pilots. One thing with smaller aircraft and helis is also their low altitude. Bailing out may be possible but still deadly.

You're much more maneuverable though. It really feels as if they belong into the sky - like an animal or something. But in the end it's up to taste I guess - humans all feel very differently about that it appears.
if an engine stops on a helo, it goes down like a rock, no chance for an emergency landing
Old 09-05-2011, 02:14 AM
Approved Member

Here is another Heli sim to look out for:

http://www.combat-helo.co.uk/
Intel i7 4820K @ 4.6GHz - Thermaltake Armour - ASUS P9X79 - Silverstone1200w PSU - 2 x Gigabyte R9 290 - 16GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1866 - Trackir 5 Pro - Logitek X3D - Saitek Pro Pedals - Dell 24" @ 1920x1200 - W7 HP 64x
Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupo162 View Post
if an engine stops on a helo, it goes down like a rock, no chance for an emergency landing
Sorry no it doesn't what are you basing your statement on?
Look it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation
Old 09-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbs107 View Post
Here is another Heli sim to look out for:

http://www.combat-helo.co.uk/

That looks good....thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

Looks good indeed. For some reason I can't access their videos though. Only the last one works the other say they're private?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupo162 View Post
A good friend of mine would have been dead if your statement is correct. He's not dead, neither was he injured.

I can't recall exactly how he did it but it comes down to this: The pilot will have to perform a very tricky manoeuvre which would really turn you stomach upside down. Firstly when the engine cuts out he lowered the collective pitch so that the blades picked up RPM fast, at the same time the heli will start losing height fast. At the very last moment the pilot jams the pitch up and the heli starts to quickly recover from the fall, and then the pilot lands the heli.

There's more ways to do it I believe, but a pilot could answer that better.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Ali Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
A good friend of mine would have been dead if your statement is correct. He's not dead, neither was he injured.

I can't recall exactly how he did it but it comes down to this: The pilot will have to perform a very tricky manoeuvre which would really turn you stomach upside down. Firstly when the engine cuts out he lowered the collective pitch so that the blades picked up RPM fast, at the same time the heli will start losing height fast. At the very last moment the pilot jams the pitch up and the heli starts to quickly recover from the fall, and then the pilot lands the heli.

indeed, a fun manoever in dcs black shark too.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Approved Member

So what’s the best helicopter simulation software out there?
I fly in them at times.
Sometimes they have duel controls.

I have in the past taken a hue controls till doggy bags where past out so I need to work on my perfection….
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post

didnt know this was possible. very nice.

still pick a plane and a helli, and deprive both of them of their props and engines and drop them at 2k metrs one of them will have a better time than the other. My point is planes fly, helis try to stay uo in the air. Never liked helos for that.