Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Approved Member

Default Take On Helicopters

Anyone following this.
I really looking forward to it, I thought best part of FSX for me was helicopters and love DCS BlackShark.

http://takeonthegame.com/
Old 09-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Approved Member

Looks promising. Bookmarked.

But I don't trust rotary wings...they are meant to fall out the sky
Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Approved Member

Very unlikely. Thanks to autorotation they fall out of the sky much safer than any aircraft.

It looks interesting though, I will buy it. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Approved Member

If this is true I'll be crying

I hope they will add a Pitts and a nice legged female pilots
Old 09-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
Very unlikely. Thanks to autorotation they fall out of the sky much safer than any aircraft.

It looks interesting though, I will buy it. Thanks.
unless they lose a blade that is..
Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

or a tail rotor
Old 09-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Approved Member

Actually this game is just Arma2 +, by the looks of it. I havn`t played it tho perhaps I will d/l the beta, interestingly it ALREADY has a trackIr profile, it seems most of the beta feedback has been about axis sensitivity. Good old Bohemia,enthusiast gamemakers who are still enthusiastic about their "product" and appreciate the mod communities efforts to improve the games they produce. In fact a lot of Bohemias latest ideas seem to be copies of things that modders have produced.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Approved Member

@madfish, may i ask why?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Approved Member

because with autorotation you use the speed to keep the rotor turning , then pull collective to dump the speed when near the ground, it calls for nice timing and you only get one shot at it. chopper tends to hit the ground hard tho in many cases and theres no damping built into the landing gear so serious injuries ie broken backs and trapping by collapsed seats etc tend to occur. Personally I think choppers are flying death traps and would rather take my chances in a fixed wing with the option to baleout or eject.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Approved Member

Well, helis can emergency land better than other aircraft, even if their engine fails. You don't need a runway and you can go down almost everywhere "safely". Even if it means destroying the machine itself. With the exeption of a volcano maybe. With a plane you need to reach a runway or you're in big trouble.

What whoamongar says is partially correct - although not fully. Most modern helis do have very developed landing gear - it's also possible to eject or bail out but rarely done. Have you ever seen people eject out of airliners or smaller sport planes? I haven't. In fact I hear of dead people in sport plane accidents all the time. It's very very common.
The same goes for helicopters though. Sadly most of them don't have any ejection technology, only military ones can simply blast off the rotors and then eject the pilots. One thing with smaller aircraft and helis is also their low altitude. Bailing out may be possible but still deadly.

You're much more maneuverable though. It really feels as if they belong into the sky - like an animal or something. But in the end it's up to taste I guess - humans all feel very differently about that it appears.