Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Tree_UK

Default Post made by Jason at Sim HQ

For those that were/are still under the belief that CLOD was financed by Ubisoft then read this below, especially Chivas who as been on my case about this for a long time.

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason

I'm sorry, but I need to say something because your comments are not correct.

1.) Luthier is a long-time friend of mine and you are smearing him with no proof or knowledge of what really happened that caused the less than stellar release of CLOD. Oleg didn't hand Luthier anything. Luthier was asked by 1C to try to finish the project after Oleg was, depending who you talk to, relieved of duty by 1C or he quit 1C. You make the call. Luthier is making the best of a bad situation and he is a good guy and from what I can tell a good manager. My point is you can't blame him for the release or bad decisions that were forced upon him by others. He was given 12 months to correct 6 years of bad decisions made by others. A good analogy is blaming me for every decision made regarding ROF before my company took over. Coming from someone who had to take over a not so great situation I know what he is going through.

2.) Again, you see to blame Ubi for all this. Why don't you ask 1C if $8 million and 7 years was enough time and money for a team to eventually be held accountable for there work and produce a product? Ubi is not quite the monster they are being portrayed as. Again, see my comments about Oleg's departure. Only Duke Nukem' can have a never ending dev cycle and hell even that got released eventually. Bringing Oleg back isn't going to solve anything. 1C loves when you blame Ubi. 1C was the day to day manager and owners of IL-2 franchise, not to the mention the primary funding source so why aren't they held accountable? Some of you hold Oleg and 1C up like some sort of gods and people who can do no wrong which is foolish.

I'm not going to say anymore, but what you've said about Luthier isn't fair to him. There is no need to be an Oleg or 1C apologist.

Jason
Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Approved Member

that broke my buble.

im trully sad now
Old 08-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Approved Member

That's interesting, I thought that OM might have been the problem for a while.

I just got the feeling that he was too set in his ways. The market moved on and I always found Oleg's 'my way or the highway' attitude a little bit lofty.

Luthier has seemed much more 'current' and aware of what's expected in 2011.

I got the feeling from some of his posts that he was trying to drag the sim into the 21st century, he knows what the people here want more than anyone.
I think he wants the same.

If it's true then I feel for him, there's nothing worse than having to clean up someone else's s**t.

I hope he succeeds.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Approved Member

I never blamed Ubi for that in the first place, except maybe for the decision to add steam into the mix. It takes a very limited understanding of the IT business to not blame programming errors on the programming people...

Besides that: Luthier and his team may have limited responsibility on things up to and including release, but what about the time from release until now?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Studios - Jason
Why don't you ask 1C if $8 million and 7 years was enough time and money for a team to eventually be held accountable for there work and produce a product?
Interesting..

If what Jason says is true.. than the only hope for CoD getting finished is if they switch to a RoF model of pay for planes (additional content).. In that I don't see ubi tossing anymore $ down this hole without some way of recouping their investment.. Based on the not so stellar release of CoD thus far I 'assume' they have not got close to recouping the 8million
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for re-posting this information from Jason on this Forum Tree.
If 1C had allowed the COD situation to be posted some time ago and its reasons for releasing the game prematurely, there no doubt would have been a lot more understanding given to the problems the development team were facing .
IC should post an apology here,not only to its customers but to the COD team for the grief they have caused them.
I dont` expect they have the Balls to though.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Approved Member

Reminds me Apple in 1985 all this drama...

Much talking and little info. I like the sim potential and good game engine and content, but all this "business" crap is really anoying...

Just optimize more the graphics engine, solve remaining bugs and give us a decent sound engine, stable MP and after work in new titles and the dynamic weather.

And give us DECENT week updates, without lies and crap.

Simple as that. Be professionals. Be men, not children.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
For those that were/are still under the belief that CLOD was financed by Ubisoft then read this below, especially Chivas who as been on my case about this for a long time.

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason

I'm sorry, but I need to say something because your comments are not correct.

1.) Luthier is a long-time friend of mine and you are smearing him with no proof or knowledge of what really happened that caused the less than stellar release of CLOD. Oleg didn't hand Luthier anything. Luthier was asked by 1C to try to finish the project after Oleg was, depending who you talk to, relieved of duty by 1C or he quit 1C. You make the call. Luthier is making the best of a bad situation and he is a good guy and from what I can tell a good manager. My point is you can't blame him for the release or bad decisions that were forced upon him by others. He was given 12 months to correct 6 years of bad decisions made by others. A good analogy is blaming me for every decision made regarding ROF before my company took over. Coming from someone who had to take over a not so great situation I know what he is going through.

2.) Again, you see to blame Ubi for all this. Why don't you ask 1C if $8 million and 7 years was enough time and money for a team to eventually be held accountable for there work and produce a product? Ubi is not quite the monster they are being portrayed as. Again, see my comments about Oleg's departure. Only Duke Nukem' can have a never ending dev cycle and hell even that got released eventually. Bringing Oleg back isn't going to solve anything. 1C loves when you blame Ubi. 1C was the day to day manager and owners of IL-2 franchise, not to the mention the primary funding source so why aren't they held accountable? Some of you hold Oleg and 1C up like some sort of gods and people who can do no wrong which is foolish.

I'm not going to say anymore, but what you've said about Luthier isn't fair to him. There is no need to be an Oleg or 1C apologist.

Jason
IC and UBISOFT are both publishers and probably funders of the development. I see nothing there that says UBISOFT wasn't funding the project aswell, as a matter of fact, the way its worded it could almost be interrupted as UBI funded the 8 million and IC weren't accountable. Many people confuse IC's publishing business and IC's development business. Maybe Jason can comment.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 08-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Approved Member

In a strange way it is reasuring. From my impression on the RoF forum Jason seems to be someone you can believe.....he is also the one getting po'ed real fast about whiner threads, while he knew they were working hard on the sim.

So in a way this is good news if Jason talks so positively about Luthier, give the team time and they will make this into a stellar sim.

What is that about the money?.....hmmm, sure my poll was just a stupid hoax, right?

After so many years and then less than stellar sales you just have to have an inkling that they can't be doing so great moneywise.

Nah, not going to say it, was going to say something about people trying to run this sim on their 4 year old compaq and then complain, but I won't.

Let's hope Luthier and the team keep going on strong.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Approved Member

So does this mean that Tree is going to stop calling Luthier a liar and throwing dirt on every thing he or the development team does?

Thanks Jason!