Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs down Game Unplayable

Surely my Title of topic is not new to you.
Firstly, before releasing a game, please unsure that your minimum system requirements are actually correct, my system specs are as follows:

-Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
-RAM: 3.5 Gb
-Video Card: GeForce 9800 GT @ 512mb
-Direct X: 10

Therefore they are above the minimum, and the game is completely unplayable.

And I think the poll in my thread here would agree:
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...ewresults.html

Btw I tested the game settings with everything on the lowest, no roads, trees, buildings etc except for:

*2 x Anti-A
*SSAO On
*Model Detail High
*Texture quality Original
*Special effects etc High
*Ground detail Medium

The game is laggy, stutters and well, you can fly... but it takes a few seconds before much happens, this is over water!
To think I should be able to fly in combat with these settings without too much trouble is rediculous.

In the menus, the Plane loadout section does not load at all and if it does the Drop down menu's are blank, similiar for the Pilot customization area, very often does the Pilot model dissapear when I change things.

So I hope my Hundred Dollars serves you well and you can actually make your product worth it, because right now, my IL-2 1946 looks alot better than CoD, and the great thing is it only cost me 20 bucks!

So does this mean I have to wait many years before CoD starts to look better than or as good as your previous games???

I tried the Black Death Benchmarking track and well, it is not even worth posting my FPS as it is less than 25 and I don't need a counter to tell me that, it eventually froze my game anyway...

So I really hope all our money helps get the issues fixed.
Overall I am extremely dissapointed with the game and you should be aswell.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Approved Member

Well, as this game was released waaay too early the min. requirements are ay more or less, educated guess.
But it was stated that todays "high-end" computers could run it a medium settings.
If you compare your rig with a actual "high-end" rig it is rather lower "med-end"
The min. requirements are plain wrong, but then, to really enjoy any demanding software you have to upgrade anyway.
I believe a higher "med-end" graphic-card with at least 1 gig vram and a bit overclocking your cpu would help a lot.

And for disappointment, i am not, but then i dont race against a F1 racer in a vw-beetle either

Last edited by robtek; 04-26-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Approved Member

your video settings are not correct for your old weak hardware:

Quote:
*SSAO On
*Model Detail High
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verhängnis View Post
Firstly, before releasing a game, please unsure that your minimum system requirements are actually correct, my system specs are as follows:

*2 x Anti-A
*SSAO On
*Model Detail High
*Ground detail Medium
Well, I would hae thought that anybody with some brain, when he reads MINIMUM, he also tries the game with MINIMUM settings first and increases the settings later.
Obviously you have not done so and obviouly you have little understading yet of the settings you are changing, wich is understandable and nothingto critisize about. But your lack of knowledge or even worse, your half-knowledge, is not an excuse to open your mouth for others as well.

Change your settings *Texture quality from Original to the lowest possible and try again.

Quote:
Overall I am extremely dissapointed with the game and you should be as well.
No thanks, I have brains and I use them...

~S~
Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verhängnis View Post

And I think the poll in my thread here would agree:
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...ewresults.html

Btw I tested the game settings with everything on the lowest, no roads, trees, buildings etc except for:

*2 x Anti-A
*SSAO On
*Model Detail High
*Ground detail Medium

The game is laggy, stutters and well, you can fly... but it takes a few seconds before much happens, this is over water!
To think I should be able to fly in combat with these settings without too much trouble is rediculous.

In the menus, the Plane loadout section does not load at all and if it does the Drop down menu's are blank, similiar for the Pilot customization area, very often does the Pilot model dissapear when I change things.

So I hope my Hundred Dollars serves you well and you can actually make your product worth it, because right now, my IL-2 1946 looks alot better than CoD, and the great thing is it only cost me 20 bucks!

So does this mean I have to wait many years before CoD starts to look better than or as good as your previous games???

I tried the Black Death Benchmarking track and well, it is not even worth posting my FPS as it is less than 25 and I don't need a counter to tell me that, it eventually froze my game anyway...

So I really hope all our money helps get the issues fixed.
Overall I am extremely dissapointed with the game and you should be aswell.
Not only are your settings on way to high for the minimum spec hardware, you are also expecting to get more than 25fps on the blackdeath track which is used as a stress test, I think you are expecting way too much from what is really quite old hardware.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Approved Member

SSAO and texture quality are the things to play with...SSAO off and Textures high on GTX480, so for your card text. medium/low
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Approved Member

Default Grrr

It really irks me when posters on various forums slag CoD because they cannot run it on high settings on dated hardware, ‘… like they can with IL2 1946’ Good grief, Verhängnis, that sim is a decade old and shouldn’t be used as a comparison at all. If you spend some time reading up on this forum you will find people with similar hardware to yours that have managed to get it to run acceptably, with the correct settings.

As stated by others above, trying to run the texture detail on ‘Original’ with your setup is never going to work, and SSAO is a big fps killer too. A bit of time spent tweaking can definitely yield results, although to expect miracles with your hardware, being as it only just meets the minimum spec as far as graphics cards go, is unrealistic. With a bit of research you will learn that a GeForce 9800 is architecturally little more than a re-named 8800, and is currently more than 3 generations old.

I am not disappointed with CoD at all, as with all the updates and optimised settings I can run it with decent graphic quality, even on my hardly-new system. I do agree that the minimum spec is somewhat optimistic currently, but this may improve with further updates. Upgrading your hardware is probably still your best choice, as then you will be able to enjoy it closer to what was intended.

Rant over.

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 | AMD FX-8350 | MSI HD7970 TFOC-BE | 8GB Corsair DDR-III 1866 | Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

Last edited by TonyD; 04-26-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Approved Member

Well before you told me to, I did try the game on the lowest possible settings, everything either off or lowest, and well the sim ran smoothly, although not as smooth as those with higher end PC's, but the point is, it looked Horrible, my eyes were burning!

Just like the developers said, run it on lowest settings and it will look like some arcade game from the 90's, they were right.

And I'm not saying you should be dissapointed, I'm saying the Developers should be dissapointed, surely they know it is bad for business when half the community of customers can't even play the damn thing or even want to, anybody with my settings or lower cannot play!

I think you will find that most of us 1946 flyers would agree, what did they expect?
Not everyone has the latest Rig, Many people right now are going through financial problems and can't afford a new computer, and I thought that one of Olegs Promises was that his games could run on low end computers?
I think I remember him saying this about IL-2 1946.
And I mean seriously there is not even multi-core support???

Like you said, we the group with low-end PC's who can't run the game love to complain and rant, well it seems you (The group with high end PC's) love to tell us to lower the settings,buy new computers and get over it, if you couldn't run the game you would be saying the exact same things.

This sim is unfinished, half my Menu's dont even load, some of the controls for the game do nothing and some things do others, eg. Open Canopy...More like do that...but tell me my Pitot Tube is heating.

I do believe that they will address these issues in Patches, but how long will we have to wait?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Approved Member

OK, now you are talking...

Now that your machine is working reasonably, change to:
*Model Detail High
*Special effects High

You should not be having degration in performance but graphics should look much better.

You did not mention two things:
Your Screen Resolution: No need to bother writting 1400x + I am flying this game at 1280x and I have GPUs a few generations higher than yours....

You Operating System: Win7 I presume because you mentioned DX10
Win7-64 bit is the right thing to have.

Your GPU is unfortunately very "minimum" for this game, 512Mb RAM is not enough for this game and because of this you have stutters (as son as the VRAM is filled up).
1,5Gb VRAM and higher is the right place to be.

And for the last point, actually the game supports many CPUs, Quad-Core is the right thing to have so, you are either not looking correctly or you have put the correct patches yet.
(ps. Do not use the ProcessAfinityMask if you have Win7, let Win7 take care of everything)

Happy Flying

~S~
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

Not sure if Tree is still banned but he hit the nail on the head with the game, the lack of ingame video's etc... It is not finished.
The game will never work properly on anything but a new gen system.
No matter how much optimisation the developers do.
And even if they do get it working even halfway il2 will look better to anyone with a low end machine.
No amount of ranting or complaining is going to change that fact.
If you want the bells and whistles you will have to fork out the cash.
Thats not a boast it is a life lesson. My dual core 2.4 with 8800gt was battling with RoF.
My new system runs RoF maxed out but cannot run CoD fully maxed out. Honestly looking at RoF on my new system and the explosions match CoD, the trees look better...
So what is my point, simple buy a new system or accept that you will never be truly happy with CoD.
And even with a new system you will still not be completely happy