Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Approved Member

Default Incorrect terminology?

I am a relative noob in the world of aviation but I think BOP has at least one goof regarding manouver terminology. I performed a simple aileron roll and an icon popped up indicating a "barrel roll". From what I understand a barrel roll is a much more complicated manouver. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manintrees View Post
I am a relative noob in the world of aviation but I think BOP has at least one goof regarding manouver terminology. I performed a simple aileron roll and an icon popped up indicating a "barrel roll". From what I understand a barrel roll is a much more complicated manouver. Has anyone else experienced this?
These are going to be achievements in game if you do a split-s you get a card and a immelman you will get a card for that.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Approved Member

It is true, the term "barrel roll" is used incorrectly: THis was taken from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_roll

Aviation
In aviation, the maneuver includes a constant variation of attitude in all three axes, and at the midpoint (top) of the roll, the aircraft is flying inverted, with the nose pointing at a moderate angle to the general path of flight. The term "barrel roll" is frequently used, incorrectly, to refer to any roll by an airplane (see aileron roll), or to a helical roll in which the nose remains pointed generally along the flight path. In fact, the barrel roll is a specific and difficult maneuver; a combination of a roll and a loop. One advantage of the barrel roll over the aileron roll is that it is possible to maintain positive "g" force throughout the maneuver. (If the interior is not immaculately clean any loose material will be thrown about under negative g force and also the aircraft fuel flow may be momentarily interrupted.)

Outside of aerobatic competition, the Boeing 367-80 and Concorde prototype were barrel rolled during testing. The Boeing 367-80 was rolled just once by Tex Johnston in an unauthorized demonstration maneuver while the Concorde was rolled multiple times by her test pilots, including Jean Franchi and Brian Walpole.

One of the best and most accurate depictions of a barrel roll in any aviation movie occurred in the 1966 film The Blue Max, when one of the two German pilots flying a pair of Fokker Dr.I triplanes executes one, as seen from directly behind the pair of aircraft in the film.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you are saying. I do a simple snap roll and it says barrel roll, which is wrong. Oh well!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamak86 View Post
...the 1966 film The Blue Max
Awesome film! Packed with balls-to-the-wall stunts!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
You might be thinking of the Victory Roll, which is more of a corkscrew

VictoryRoll

Barrell Roll
Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIJ0SePhXII View Post
You might be thinking of the Victory Roll, which is more of a corkscrew

VictoryRoll

Barrell Roll
Point 1) The victory roll is often a barrel roll.
Point 2) The spit seems to be doing a slow roll not a barrel roll.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Approved Member

There's a good example of a barrel roll in the video on this page (2.15 onwards):

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/006784.html

Also lots of generally amazing flying from one of the world's best pilots.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Approved Member

The devs must play Starfox 64 too much me thinks.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Approved Member

if the lancaster was pinned by searchlights it would execute a barrel roll to attempt to lose the "lock"...must have been hell of a ride as the tail gunner...
________
DUCATI 500SL PANTAH

Last edited by juz1; 02-24-2011 at 08:17 AM.