Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Default Saitek X52 or CH-Products (Fighterstick, Pro Throttle) for IL-2 (and Rise of Flight)?

What would be the better choice?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberfreak View Post
What would be the better choice?
I cant give you an answer as I dont own any of the brands but the internet is flooded with this info, there is also a huge thread on rise of flight forums about this.

I dont have much experience with other HOTAS system brands but I am very pleased with my Logitech G940 ( dual-Throttle, stick and pedals ) , but that's not your question

Last edited by Sven; 11-10-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

I own both CH and Saitek gear and i'm using the CH Fighterstick + CH Pro Pedals + X52 Throttle.

CH Products have much better materials & better build quality (not made in China, unlike Saitek). The reason i'm using the X52 throttle (and why i bought the whole HOTAS it in the first place) is because of its rotaries (CH Pro Throttle = no rotaries).

I am not saying i'm displeased with the X52 throttle though; however be advised there seems to be a luck factor involved - you can get a good or bad batch (remember, they are build in China). With CH Products on the other hand you get consistency.

If you don't absolutely need analogic rotaries i say you go with CH Products. With the CH software you can program pretty much anything anyway.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Do I have to buy CH Pro Pedals too if I will decide for CH combo (Fighterstick, Pro Throttle)?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

You only need to get the CH Pro Pedals if you want to program them through the CH Control manager and/or combine your controllers into a single "map".

Comparing CH to Saitek is like comparing a Chevrolet to a Mercedes Benz. They'll both transport you from one point to another, but the Benz will do it more precisely, more reliably and for a much longer period of time...albeit at a higher price.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

Neither. Both sticks are OK, but have their faults. Infact there are no excellent joysticks out there, except the old MSFF2 joystick, and I have them all. Currently I'm considering buying the Thrustmaster Warthog. The Warthogs new motion system (ball joint and spring) appears to be very smooth and precise in initial reports.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korn View Post
CH Pro Throttle = no rotaries
What do you use the rotaries for, and are they on the CH quad throttle?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

I use the rotaries for trimming. This is where the luck comes into play with Saitek, i heard people complaining about the rotaries moving around & such, mine are ok. There are no rotaries on the Quadrant, however it does have 6 axis, that's 2 more analogic axes than the X52 throttle has (rotaries and slider included).

Quote:
Do I have to buy CH Pro Pedals too if I will decide for CH combo (Fighterstick, Pro Throttle)?
No. The main difference is that Saitek ones are wider. I honestly could not tell the difference without seeing them, they have very similar movement. I know that the CH will most likely outlast the Saitek pedals.
CH software is probably more powerful, however for the rudder pedals that is non-issue, is not like you need to do much programming for them lol.

I also have one of those good ol' MS FF Sidewinder2 laying around somewhere. Imo the Fighterstick is just an awesome stick, i never used the MSFF2 after buying the Fighterstick, although my first impression wasn't that great. It really grows on you .