Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Approved Member

Arrow What sensitibity for what plane on Aviator stick

Fellow Comrades,

Here are some advices to set the Elevator sensitivity for each plane with you Aviator FlightStick.
If you want a short description of the different airplanes and their strengths/weaknesses check out this by Ancient Seraph
If you'd like to see a list of in-game facts and stats on each plane, check out this thread by Widar.

Important:
=>I'm on Xbox 360 (don't know if it changes something)
=>Those settings are for Elevator Sentivity only, Whatever plane you take, keep full Aileron sentitivity
=>Those settings are for Flightstick (tested with the Saitek Aviator Stick AVR8 ) and not for the original gamepad. If you are using the gamepad you will certainly have to reduce a bit more the sensitivity for each plane
=> Those settings are for REALISTIC and SIM mode only, if you are playing Arcade just keep full sensitivity

Why adjusting your Elevator Sensitivity ?
In Sim and Realistic you are obliged to reduce the elevator sentitivity to prevent stalling all the time. (Try to fly a P51 whitout). What you have to know is that each planes handles differently, so each plane deserves a specific setting. The objective is to get the maximum turn rate for each plane while avoiding stalling.
- But if you reduce the sensitivity too much your brand new Spitfire MkIX will flight like a B17 Flying Fortress.
- if you don't reduce it enough, Most of the time you won't turn as tight as you can (in order to prevent a stall)
You have to find the perfect balance. That's a crucial element for online victory.

Hopefully Most of us agree spontaneously on what settings should be apply for each plane. you will find the results hereafter but you certainly can lower the sensitivity a bit more or a bit less, it depends on your feeling and how brutal you are with the command.

How do you find the right setting?
Each planes has been tested in hard turns with/without Combat Flap both at low/high altitude and low/high speed.
To set the sensitivity, i keep turning at low altitude/low speed (270-330 km/H which is the approx speed where you can sustain indefinitely hard turn whithout loosing altitude) with WEP/Combat Flap and keep the sensitiviy when you have no risk of stalling.

Well afterwards you still have to be careful because the plane can still stall at high altitude or very low speed or without Combat flap. Sometimes It's not that simple for exemple with the Spit MKIX with the sensitivity set on 5 notches down from the top, You cannot stall while turning right but If you're not careful you can stall while turning left.

Hereafter are the settings (0 notch down from the top = full sensitivity)
  • BF109 F4: 1 notch down from the top
  • BF109 G6: 1 notch down from the top
  • LA5 fn: Keep full sensitivity (the most stable fighter of the game)
  • LA 7: 2 notches down from the top (Some handles full sensitivity - I don't)
  • MC 202: 7 notches down from the top
  • Spit Mk II: 5 notches down from the top (6 when I fly like a goat)
  • Spit Mk IX: 5 notches down from the top (6 when I fly like a goat)
  • Spit Mk XVI: 6 notches down from the top
  • Yak 3: 3 notches down from the top
Hope it will help,

Your contributions are most welcome

Last edited by Benrizz; 10-08-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Approved Member

Nice thread Benrizz.
I cant really add much only using the Spit IX and La7 and I'm still finding my way with the Spit.
La7 is full sensitivity for me, its a stable bird.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Approved Member

For the La-7 I usually put it 1 or 2 notches down, just out of laziness for those turning battles at low speed.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Approved Member

I put 5 or 6 notches down with the spit. Normally 6 with the XVI and 5 with the IX.

Does anyone fly the hurricane? when I tried it the other day, I ended up with my sensitivity 8! notches down. Because I think it flew like crap if I did not. But I think this will make it lose the turning advantage .
Any hurri people who can comment?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Jareth View Post
Nice thread Benrizz.
I cant really add much only using the Spit IX and La7 and I'm still finding my way with the Spit.

the spit is very twitchy, and just try using the rudder in a hard turn...

useful set of av8r settings..I guess I am lazy as I turn down the sensitivity settings an extra couple on each one...
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer

Last edited by juz1; 02-24-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juz1 View Post
Tell me about it, any touch of the rudder and the thing starts slewing all over the sky. Its got to the stage that if I play Realistic and use the spit I dont use the rudder at all.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

To everyone, I don't know if it is useful to say it again. But I strongly recommend to spend a least 10-20 min in free flight with the planes that you want to use to well understand how it handles and set the sensibility.

Before doing that I just had my ass kicked in dogfight so often, especially one time against Redkicker. And now I am a perfect ace on my LA5-FN.

Well may be not a perfect one
but I am able to get some kills now, whereas I wasn't before

I test planes in hard turns with Combat Flap both at low/high altitude and lowhigh speed. To set the sensibility, i keep turning at low altitude/ low speed (270-330 km/H which is the approx speed where you can sustain indefinitely hard turn whithout loosing altitude) with WEP/Combat Flap and keep the sensibility when I have no risk of stalling.

Well afterwards I have to be careful at high speed because the plane can still stall. (especially at high altitude or Am I wrong ?).

Sometimes It's not that simple for exemple with the Spit MKIX with the sensitivity set on 5 notches down, You cannot stall while turning right but If you're not careful you can stall while turning left.

Which leads me to 2 conclusions:
- So maybe put 6 notches down on Spit MKIX is a safer move.
- A plane turn harder on the right because of the couple of the engine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juz1 View Post

useful set of av8r settings..I guess I am lazy as I turn down the sensitivity settings an extra couple on each one...
Yes you right but when you are busy hat switching while turning, I find it so difficult to manage properly the rudder no ?

Last edited by Benrizz; 09-30-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrizz View Post
Well afterwards I have to be careful at high speed because the plane can still stall. (especially at high altitude or Am I wrong ?).
Nope, not wrong. At higher altitudes airplanes are more prone to stalling. However, having a higher speed shouldn't make you stall earlier, it should have the opposite effect. High-speed stall does exist, but only on modern-day jets at ridiculous altitudes, as far as I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrizz View Post
Sometimes It's not that simple for exemple with the Spit MKIX with the sensitivity set on 5 notches down, You cannot stall while turning right but If you're not careful you can stall while turning left.

Which leads me to 2 conclusions:
- So maybe put 6 notches down on Spit MKIX is a safer move.
- A plane turn harder on the right because of the couple of the engine ?
I agree with both statements. About the second: when you're turning to the right with a right-turning propellor, and pull back hard on the stick, due to gyroscopic effects an additional force will be applied to the right. Not absolutely sure, but this seems a reasonable explanation as to why it stalls sooner in one turn than the other.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Approved Member

I find it a real pain in the arse having to set the sensitivity every time you fancy a plane change, also the time it take to set and change can put you out of sync with the current round of games.

For this reason I've learnt to deal with all the planes on realistic using 4 notches down.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Approved Member

I fly the Spit IX 3 notches down and the LA 7 I leave as standard. I think the Spit could be flyable left as standard although not with a heavy hand!

Anyone know the corner speeds for each aircraft?

Last edited by Soulsurfer; 09-30-2009 at 06:35 PM.