Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > IL-2 Movies

IL-2 Movies All fan movies are presented in here

Old 07-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

Default First Bf109 shot down in history

It is curious that it has to be a Bf109B with german pilot, on spanish skies to fell against an american pilot (Frank Tinker) on a russian plane... what an international mix, isn't it?

This is a part of my incoming long video about Frank Tinker.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Approved Member

Great!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Approved Member

Nicely done.
Looking forward to your updates.

Wheels
Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Approved Member

Amazing graphics.

I saw this and thought it was a CGI video, but it is IL2.

Want to share any secrets on how you got the effects, especially the sky backgrounds? Chromokeyed? or is that from some mods? It is a stunning effect.

Really looking forward to the full movie, any idea when?

Cheers.

Last edited by EAF602_Joe90; 08-17-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Approved Member

About mid or end september... have to modify all this previous and use the Bf-109B mod, the correct one.

Obviously it's a croma, but the key is how to match backgrounds... essay and error and lots of hours spent!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Approved Member

Cheers, looking forward to it. Your attention to detail, and the time that takes, is impressive.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:54 AM
Approved Member

Not that I want to be down on your video, because it looks truly fantastic (here's to the day when we get a flight sim that looks that good ingame), but isn't there some controversy about whether or not Frank Tinker did shoot down that Bf109B? According to Augsburg Eagle, by William Green, which is a very good if admitedly rather old book, the Condor Legion admitted no Bf109 losses on the 13th, and the Bf109 flown by Unteroffizier Honess that is attributed to Tinker on this day fell in fact on the 17th, and not to a fighter which would back up Tinker's second claim but to a Tupelov bomber. Since it is therefore Tinker word vs the Condor Legion's records and their records appear accurate with no other aircraft loss discrepancies, with nothing else to back up Tinker apart from the Republicans crediting him with the kill, and they had already lied about a claim for a Bf09B for a Russian pilot, aren't Tinker's claims in some doubt?

Last edited by David603; 08-31-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
Not that I want to be down on your video, because it looks truly fantastic (here's to the day when we get a flight sim that looks that good ingame), but isn't there some controversy about whether or not Frank Tinker did shoot down that Bf109B? According to Augsburg Eagle, by William Green, which is a very good if admitedly rather old book, the Condor Legion admitted no Bf109 losses on the 13th, and the Bf109 flown by Unteroffizier Honess that is attributed to Tinker on this day fell in fact on the 17th, and not to a fighter which would back up Tinker's second claim but to a Tupelov bomber. Since it is therefore Tinker word vs the Condor Legion's records and their records appear accurate with no other aircraft loss discrepancies, with nothing else to back up Tinker apart from the Republicans crediting him with the kill, and they had already lied about a claim for a Bf09B for a Russian pilot, aren't Tinker's claims in some doubt?
If we believe every version, all can be put in doubt, and we have to assume that the trully truth will never be known.

According to "The Legion Condor" from Ries & Ring, also reportedly based on LW files, Honess fell that day, but is mentioned as "Fallen some days ago" past his date's loss.

That's another different version, and not from Tinker itself...

It is not clear what code had the 109, it has been told that the 6-4, but there's a picture of its fuselage slightly ruined, not from a vertical crash to the ground as it has been said.

And it's also not clear if Tinker had a Betty Boo painted on its tail or not. The problem on all this is that if I want to depict someting, I must show something, or if I was ever in doubt about it all, nothing could be done.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

Here it is the final and complete Frank Tinker's video, with the Bf-109 part reworked, so pilot of the 109, Guido Honess, could not parachute and died.

This is a video I did as a gift for a spanish veteran pilots association (ADAR), so they could send it to USA to be played in a homage to Frank Tinker. The early version of this video was seen in that homage, made aroud his grave. Here's a report about then:

http://www.dewitt-ee.com/articles/20...5135688491.txt

Quote:
In a ceremony last Saturday, the City of DeWitt honored Frank Tinker, thought of by many around the world as the greatest American mercenary of the Spanish Civil War. Family and admirers from California made the trip to take part in the ceremony held at the DeWitt Cemetery, while admirers from around the world sent gifts and proud words of the late Arkansas pilot. Mayor Aubrey McGhee proclaimed Saturday “Frank Tinker Day.” A Spanish flag and honorary medal were sent as compliments from the Air Force Veterans in Spain, while Tinker’s fans in Luxembourg sent a decorative wreath to be placed beside Tinker’s grave. The Spanish phrase on Tinker’s grave that reads “Quien Sabe?” translated in English asks the question, “Who knows?” Participants later drank Spanish champagne and watched a video of a reenactment of a dogfight of the period.

Some historicians contacted me and gave more info about some aspects of the video. In parallel, I've noticed that SAS was developing a Bf-109B and was in beta this summer, so I compilled the info and awaited for the Bf-109B launch by SAS, while keeping the entire video out of Youtube. Now I finally could modify the Messerschmitt part I posted some time ago, by replacing the plane with the SAS correct Bf-109B mod and uploaded the final video version here:

Yes, there are some unreal scenes. I've learned the tricks to use the Chroma Map while making it. Lots of hours spent on it, that's the main trick.

I would like to thank the authors of all mods, and specially the Chroma Map, the Polikarpov Pack, and the SAS, for all of their work. Without them, this video would have been impossible to made.

Thanks!

Last edited by TUCKIE_JG52; 10-13-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Approved Member

Tuckie: I just watched the bf109 clip and I think you did a great job with the chroma keyed sky shots. Where do you get the sky footage, do you take the footage while flying?

I am very much involved with chroma map. If you wish we can have a separate private conversation and/or have a separate private you-tube channel where we can share clips and comment/support on each other’s work? I think we are the only ones using the chroma map for movies; there is a lot of potential with this method but it is very tricky to use it perfectly.

Last edited by biltongbru; 10-14-2009 at 07:26 AM.