Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > IL-2 Movies

IL-2 Movies All fan movies are presented in here

Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Approved Member

i discovered Il2 through youtube. i used to play a game called stealth fighter about ten years ago. then recenty on a lazy nght at work i thought i'd just check youtube to see how far combat sims had progressed. was like x-mas when i saw my first clips of il2.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Approved Member

Interesting thread, Icefire. Cool that youtube has worked to get more people into IL2.

Game movies are such a powerful marketing tool, and with so many sites that now show these videos I do hope 1C makes a good one for SoW.

Oleg did hint a long time ago that SoW would be good for making movies but hasn't said much more. A free roaming camera would be great, but the best tool for me would be the ability to rewind a track!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l88bastard View Post
Youtube helped sell me!

I loved the hell out of Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific back in the early
90's, when I was a kid, and had always missed those sims.

I would constantly ask myself why they never made really good updated versions of those games.

I was completely oblivious to IL-2, I would see it on store shelves and just skip by it because the name sounded like some stupid russian junkbox of a game. I never even bothered to look up reviews on it and word of mouth was not that big with the game either.

I switched over my gaming to the xbox platform when that came out in 01' and have largely been away from computer gaming since. I have 6 xbox 360's hooked up on a lan and have friends over for COD4 killing.

Crysis got me back into pc gaming (actually thats not true BF1942 had sucked me in years before, but I lost interest when it died out because everybody started playing BF2, which I think sucks) so I built this super rig to play Crysis;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12396216

I got bored of Crysis rather quick and have not really had an excuse to play CPU games.....until I recently saw the trailer for Birds of Prey for the xbox 360 and I said what the hell is this!!!!

Once I watched all of the trailers I had a major major itch, but the problem is BOP does not come out until sometime in 2009! I did some research, found out about the computer version...watched some youtube videos and then ran over to circuit city and picked up IL-2 1946 for $19.99!!! What a bargain!! I love this sim!!

This story is almost a rubber stamp of what happens/happened to so many other folks over the last year. Obviously this sim has seen its hey day, but with nothing better out there right now and the continued support from server-operators (not to mention the excellent replayability and well-adapted online community) it still the pinnacle of WWII flight sims.

Welcome aboard, tell your friends and get some really good CH Products controllers...and a trackIR. You'll thank me later.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAF602_Joe90 View Post
.....but the best tool for me would be the ability to rewind a track!
Yes, kind of VCR controls ! Gimme !!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAF602_Joe90 View Post
Interesting thread, Icefire. Cool that youtube has worked to get more people into IL2.

Game movies are such a powerful marketing tool, and with so many sites that now show these videos I do hope 1C makes a good one for SoW.

Oleg did hint a long time ago that SoW would be good for making movies but hasn't said much more. A free roaming camera would be great, but the best tool for me would be the ability to rewind a track!
Thanks! I always try for interesting topics...some of them catch and others don't

If Oleg is smart (and listening) then he'll spend a bit of development time to make sure that camera controls are there that can be used in new and interesting ways. I can't see it being a huge drain on resources to put together and it'd be huge for the people putting together these various pieces.

I have only some experience in setting these sorts of things up by recording NTRK's for campaigns. Its a tricky business because you have a very limited set of options. The camera tools we have are workable...but I'm imagining things like weapons views from the viewpoint of a bomb or rocket or tracking the outside of a bomb or rocket. Or a proper guncamera view that is the correct predefined position on each aircraft. Lots of possibilities with those. A free roaming camera would be another one up on the list.

Certainly I think the more interesting the views that can be produced...the more sales there will be. Even this thread is a testament to having a few cool YouTube videos inspire people to buy the game. The low price helps too but it seems like a big motivator.

The marketing for Storm of War would be wisely done to look a bit like fan videos (setup a scenario with a minor story in Machinema fashion). That seems to appeal very nicely. But the real trick will be once the game is out and what the movie makers can do then!

Tools that take a NTRK (or a successor in the SoW engine) and process it out into AVI would be great too.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Approved Member

oh yes!! rewinding a track would be gold.

If you have a track that is 20 min long and you want to capture the action in the 18th minute from several different angles, you won't have to go thru the entire track again and again.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby109 View Post
oh yes!! rewinding a track would be gold.

If you have a track that is 20 min long and you want to capture the action in the 18th minute from several different angles, you won't have to go thru the entire track again and again.
Well in the near term you could at least record a NTRK of that sequence in the original NTRK. That'd help

But yeah...FF/RW controls would be gold. Pause too

Not just for movie makers but NTRK makers for campaigns.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Approved Member

I record a good many ntrks, but only go through them every so often when something happens I'm particularly interested in seeing again or if I am looking for some screenshot material. There's no doubt that I don't go through them as much because of the lack of FF/RW radio buttons and having to watch a track 3-4 times to get that one particular 3 frame sequence is almost enough to make me not do it.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Approved Member

This is a good thread.
For those that are just finding out about Il2 through YouTube, it may be hard for them to imagine that this sim has been flyable by us for 7 years...and even harder for them to imagine that this sim has been supported by the development team for nearly that long. This sim and its' successor are two of a kind. Nothing like it can be found anywhere else that can match the quality or support.
Back to the YouTube stuff.
I have seen an increasing amount of Il2 movies on YouTube. Lately they are too numerous to mention. This is very good for our community here and has brought many new people to this great sim.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

I think they do help sell the game on people. Time and time again I've seen "What game is this? Where can I get it?" et. In the comments under a good video.