Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > IL-2 Movies

IL-2 Movies All fan movies are presented in here

Old 09-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Approved Member

Default YouTube videos of IL-2 help sell the game?

It might be obvious but I was thinking about all of the IL-2 videos that now inhabit YouTube. We have machinema style movies/movie trailers up there, videos of silly things happening, of someones first kill, competitive 1 v 1 dogfights, and videos of virtual aerobatics teams that are very professional looking.

And if you start reading some of the comments from people they seem to always be saying "Wow! That looks like a really good game! Where can I get it?" It seems like IL-2 is a total unknown outside of the typical sim community, BUT, all of these videos seem to have people interested. I wonder how many sales of the game have happened in the last couple of years since YouTube got popular? Especially to people who are traditionally NOT flight simmers.

If anything this suggests the power of fan made videos/machinema as both an artform and as a marketing tool.

If there is anything that Storm of War needs to give us...its more power over camera controls. I'm sure the video makers would love to have visuals that are nearly impossible right now and it'll create some impressive looking shots that will market the game beyond any one advertising budget. Its good for us as they will keep making sims so long as the cost/audience works out
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

I also noticed in the last few months many newbies (and I mean many!) both here and on UBI forums, asking the usual first-time questions we all went through.
1946 still keeps on being "discovered" by new people ! Good !!

And yes, images explain better than words, so even if I'm no filmmaker myself, I'd say your request should/will be highly valued at 1C.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

Definitely more camera angles, the addition of a free roam mode would do alot.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

Very interesting thread, I am sure Youtube movies bring huge popularity to the game and I am pretty sure in that Oleg will implement advanced parameters for cameras and maybe some moviemaking tools which would make capturing job easier.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

Youtube helped sell me!

I loved the hell out of Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific back in the early
90's, when I was a kid, and had always missed those sims.

I would constantly ask myself why they never made really good updated versions of those games.

I was completely oblivious to IL-2, I would see it on store shelves and just skip by it because the name sounded like some stupid russian junkbox of a game. I never even bothered to look up reviews on it and word of mouth was not that big with the game either.

I switched over my gaming to the xbox platform when that came out in 01' and have largely been away from computer gaming since. I have 6 xbox 360's hooked up on a lan and have friends over for COD4 killing.

Crysis got me back into pc gaming (actually thats not true BF1942 had sucked me in years before, but I lost interest when it died out because everybody started playing BF2, which I think sucks) so I built this super rig to play Crysis;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12396216

I got bored of Crysis rather quick and have not really had an excuse to play CPU games.....until I recently saw the trailer for Birds of Prey for the xbox 360 and I said what the hell is this!!!!

Once I watched all of the trailers I had a major major itch, but the problem is BOP does not come out until sometime in 2009! I did some research, found out about the computer version...watched some youtube videos and then ran over to circuit city and picked up IL-2 1946 for $19.99!!! What a bargain!! I love this sim!!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Approved Member

I dont know about the selling of this game , but as a tool for making semi realistic movies of this eara ,there is none better , I am really looking forward to storm of war ,if it includes the same or more dynamic movie making materials , I will be very happy...
Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 AM
71st_Mastiff

The IL2 Sturmovik Plane is what got me looking up the plane and came across IL2 1946 Forgoten Battles, been hooked ever since. Every month I would buy a piece of hardware to enhance my virtual experience i.e
saitek St290 pro stick
X52 throttle controller
Saitek rudder pedals
and Trk Ir pro.

now the mods have really given me my monies worth.
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF_Mastiff View Post
...Every month I would buy a piece of hardware to enhance my virtual experience i.e
saitek St290 pro stick
X52 throttle controller
Saitek rudder pedals
and Trk Ir pro.
It's called IL2 syndrome

ps. is it possible to buy x52 throttle only??
Old 09-15-2008, 02:25 AM
71st_Mastiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
It's called IL2 syndrome

ps. is it possible to buy x52 throttle only??
yes at Fry's electronics or from some one on Ebay selling one I sold my joystick X52 I didnt like it to tall for the desk.
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 09-15-2008, 02:35 AM
Approved Member

^Thanks!