Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > IL-2 Movies

IL-2 Movies All fan movies are presented in here

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Default Short movie

Hi all. This my first post on the infamous banana forum!
It looks really... yellow.

Here's a movie I made recently, for those who haven't seen it yet I hope you like it:
Old 03-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Approved Member

Nice....it's always good to see a Flight Sim movie, however short, which actually has a bit of a story/screenplay to it.

Good editing, decent cinematography...

Look forward to seeing more from you.... Maybe an early Cliffs of Dover movie?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoolittleRaider View Post
Nice....it's always good to see a Flight Sim movie, however short, which actually has a bit of a story/screenplay to it.

Good editing, decent cinematography...

Look forward to seeing more from you.... Maybe an early Cliffs of Dover movie?
I appreciate the good words DoolittleRaider. I'm trying to come up with part 2.
I think maybe the Lexington is going to have a search and rescue flight out looking for the two Corsairs.
... and then 'who knows' what will happen.

Edit:
Yeah, I am looking forward to Cliffs of Dover. Story ideas are limited to what can be filmed in these sims. I'll be curious to see what it can do.

Last edited by M2morris; 03-30-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Approved Member

Again...the single weakness in IL2 movies (and all flight sim movies) is lack of a Story....a Beginning, Middle (leading to Climax and Resolution), End. Hopefully also some sort of 'Message'

Flight Sim Movies website

Last edited by DoolittleRaider; 03-30-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Approved Member

Default Here is the Sequel

The Bitter End, Part 2

Old 05-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2morris View Post
Hi all. This my first post on the infamous banana forum!
It looks really... yellow.

Here's a movie I made recently, for those who haven't seen it yet I hope you like it:
Good cinematics, thank you. But at the end, very "honorable!" behaviour from the Corsair pilot. Thumb down...
64 Bit Win7
Old 05-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakinroll View Post
Good cinematics, thank you. But at the end, very "honorable!" behaviour from the Corsair pilot. Thumb down...
If you'll notice in part 2 the corsair pilot has gotten whats coming to him.

Besides, I couldn't keep those characters alive, I don't have the ability to keep filming them. I mean, if I could I would have them both on the ground and perhaps the corsair pilot would crash-land nearby and discover the Japanese pilot stuck in his crashed plane and it is burning, the corsair pilot climbs out of his plane, runs over and saves his life by pulling him out. Then there you have an entirely different story. So I am limited to 'what' can be filmed in the game.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The Bitter End, Part 2

Part 2 is quite engaging, and kept my interest through to the end, as did part 1. Excellent cinematography and editing.

Now, for constructive critique:

1. Part 2 is a bit too long, started to drag a bit in the middle. You do have a decent story structure:
Beginning or set-up...rescue mission
Middle Crisis/Conflict...discovery of hidden AAA
Resolution of Crisis...Naval bombardment
End...return to Carrier, with Cliff-hanger of Ohka's heading to fleet

The ending could stand just as is...An open-ended one with the Viewer left to mull over the impending 'doom' (?) of the massed Ohka attack. In other words, I think you should strive to bring your movies to a "conclusion"/Finale without the "To be continued..." technique. That usually leaves the viewer more frustrated than "teased"...especially when they do not know for sure whether any subsequent 'concluding' episode might come.

2. Some oddities in story:
Why would Corsair lower its landing gear when doing a pass over downed Corsair?

What was the 'mystery' concerning no people or animals being seen? I had time to drift off and begin thinking it had something to do with both the downed aircraft having lost power, then every living thing 'disappeared', so maybe there was some sort of Sci-Fi UFO event/effect....but in the end, the two matters (power-loss and disappearance) had no connection whatsoever.

3. Oddities in visuals
What battleship did you use, with the Four-gun forward turret? No US ships had that.

4. Sound track:
In mixing the track, sometimes the Voice radio comms dropped in volume...Along with the radio distortion (which was well done), there are significant lines of dialogue which are unintelligible at first hearing, requiring viewer to strain or constantly adjust volume during playback.

5. Visuals in general
You definitely need a much better Graphics card (or better AA/AF Settings) if you are going to produce any more movies/videos. IL-2 (and definitely COD) has excellent visuals, but you have way too many jaggies, etc, in your video... Even an 8800 series Geforce/NVidia card would serve you better, and one can be gotten dirt-cheap these days (being several years old).

Last edited by DoolittleRaider; 05-16-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoolittleRaider View Post
Part 2 is quite engaging, and kept my interest through to the end, as did part 1. Excellent cinematography and editing.

Now, for constructive critique:

1. Part 2 is a bit too long, started to drag a bit in the middle. You do have a decent story structure:
Beginning or set-up...rescue mission
Middle Crisis/Conflict...discovery of hidden AAA
Resolution of Crisis...Naval bombardment
End...return to Carrier, with Cliff-hanger of Ohka's heading to fleet

The ending could stand just as is...An open-ended one with the Viewer left to mull over the impending 'doom' (?) of the massed Ohka attack. In other words, I think you should strive to bring your movies to a "conclusion"/Finale without the "To be continued..." technique. That usually leaves the viewer more frustrated than "teased"...especially when they do not know for sure whether any subsequent 'concluding' episode might come.

2. Some oddities in story:
Why would Corsair lower its landing gear when doing a pass over downed Corsair?

Some pilots drop their gear when they go into slow flight.

What was the 'mystery' concerning no people or animals being seen? I had time to drift off and begin thinking it had something to do with both the downed aircraft having lost power, then every living thing 'disappeared', so maybe there was some sort of Sci-Fi UFO event/effect....but in the end, the two matters (power-loss and disappearance) had no connection whatsoever.

No excuse. There is nothing moving down there, the pilots commented on that, I don't know why. Some of the dialog I just made up as I went along. But maybe in the future I will make a connection with there not being any sign of life in that area.

3. Oddities in visuals
What battleship did you use, with the Four-gun forward turret? No US ships had that.

It is the 'USS Battleship generic' from the list of ships in the game.

4. Sound track:
In mixing the track, sometimes the Voice radio comms dropped in volume...Along with the radio distortion (which was well done), there are significant lines of dialogue which are unintelligible at first hearing, requiring viewer to strain or constantly adjust volume during playback.

My dialog sound quality was crappy because I just used an old cassette walkman for recording my voice.(I did the voices)

5. Visuals in general
You definitely need a much better Graphics card (or better AA/AF Settings) if you are going to produce any more movies/videos. IL-2 (and definitely COD) has excellent visuals, but you have way too many jaggies, etc, in your video... Even an 8800 series Geforce/NVidia card would serve you better, and one can be gotten dirt-cheap these days (being several years old).
I have a new computer that I built from TigerDirect. It has an AMD Phenom 9600 2.3 Ghz CPU with a Geforce GTX 460. I have the settings in the game on perfect.
How can I go in and improve the visuals? In the config file?

Thanks for providing such an extensive critique of my crappy movie.
But you gotta admit, the barrage scene was pretty cool wasn't it?
And how about the bafoon in the PBY?
I thought that was funny.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I have a new computer that I built from TigerDirect. It has ...a Geforce GTX 460. I have the settings in the game on perfect.
How can I go in and improve the visuals? In the config file?
I have a much older GPU, a GTX8800, but my graphics are superior to those shown in your movie (and to many other people's screencaps and videos).

In addition to selecting the options in IL-2, such as "Perfect", you need to find the other advanced settings that will work best for you, such as AA and AF.
I suggest you download and install
nHancer

Check out the demos at the nHancer website of the various Anti-Aliasing (AA) and Anisotropic Filtering (AF) options. Then download nHancer and experiment with settings to find which works best for you...it is time consuming but eventually you will find what works best. There are often tradeoffs between performance and visual quality, so the very highest settings for any particular parameter may not always be the best.

I have an older version of nHancer. After much experimentation a couple of years ago, I found the settings below work best for me and my 8800 card. They might be useful to you as a baseline for your own experimentation. Good Luck.

Note that I show the "Global" settings. I personally do not have different setting 'profiles' for different games. My single Global set of settings works for me at all times, in all simulations/games. You may have a different experience.