Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds

King's Bounty: Crossworlds The expansion to the award-winning King’s Bounty: Armored Princess.

View Poll Results: Will you participate in this tournament?
Yes. Definitely. Picking this option means the OP will PM you when the tournament is ready. 7 70.00%
Yes, but it depends. Not a definite answer, and the OP will not bother you. 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Approved Member

Exclamation Crossworlds Tournament: Sign Ups - Winner receives free game

According to Nike-it, the winner of this tournament will receive a free game from their online store.

After having witnessed some of the capabilities of the editor, I feel it has the flexibility for me to talk about some of the ideas I've been coming up with whilst waiting for the game to be released.

Essentially, I will create a map comprised entirely of shops and share it with the KB community. These shops will have every item, spell, and creature available for purchase, as well as companions and various other tidbits. You will have a certain amount of funds to spend and once you make your army, you post your save and I use your setup in the tournament.

However, to keep it fair, all battles are fought in autobattle with comp VS. comp.

Although this may not be near as fun as real multiplayer, I still think it's a good placeholder until KB: Online is made someday down the line.

The purpose of this thread is to see if I can actually get enough people interested enough to create a tournament. I plan on making various lists for accurate costs of all units, items, and spells to ease the process of planning out your strat. I will have to establish special rules with some aspects of the game to make them applicable here (I.E. the pirate's "Treasure Hunter" ability...yeah, completely useless here unless I change it around a bit). Not to mention making the map and filtering out the spells the AI will not use, and all the little things that would need tweaking.

Basically, I want to see if that effort would be worth it. I think this could be a lot of fun and I can see this bringing a lot of life to these forums.

So how about it, guys? Yay or nay?

EDIT: I am adding a pole, so I can accurately tell who will participate in this tournament. This tournament should have EIGHT CONTENDERS, so please vote now!

Last edited by RYTEDR; 09-29-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Approved Member

Great idea i think!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Approved Member

The idea is great, but the AI is kind of stupid... and I wouldn't put my army in its hands really... But still, it might be a fun way to check out how the AI deals with various army setups.

Still, what I don't like is how the AI tends to dash madly into the battle, without heed to unit cost and unit value. In human vs. AI, the task is simple - the AI wants you to lose as many units as possible so that in the end, you lose the game because you don't have the money rto spend on more units. In essence the AI doesn't want to win - it wants to weaken you to the point of no return.

This is why I question the AI's ability to actually "preserve" units For example, I have seen the AI fix dead droids, but I have never seen it stall so that the 6 turns will pass so that it could fix more. I also don't think that the AI will use Eviln to resurrect Black Knights. I have seen the AI use resurrection at the most inordinate occasions (let's say it can ress for 10k points, but AI uses it on 700).

What I do like about this challenge is that it would take an entirely new mindset to do this tournament, which is well worth exploring. This way you will have to make sure the AI can do it - not whether YOU can do it.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Approved Member

Alright, so that's two yays. (That is a yay, right DG? )

While I agree the AI is shoddy at what it does, it will be an entirely different way to view your setup and strategy, as you've pointed out. Wise distribution of your limited amount of gold in all aspects of the battlefield will be the most important part of it.

I'm hoping that there were some tweaks to the AI (or, if I will be able to tweak the battle AI) to make it where they can at least use all the resources available to them. The AI in KB could not use invisibility, for example. Does this mean that it absolutely cannot use it, even if they have it? Who's to say it won't if I give it the spell? Won't know until I test.

Also, I've been considering special rules outside the limitations of the game, but for balance purposes I cannot say what will actually be included in the tournament (or any tournament in the future). No leadership limit, for example (This would allow you to have complete control over how many units you want) this little change could really help in sculpting your army the way you want it to be.

However, of course, on paper this looks good, but in practice this could lead to horrendous balance issues. Let's say someone hordes black dragons and has hundreds of them, will they have a fair fight against someone who more reasonably spread out his funds investing in spells, various unit types, and items?

Another idea to expand on is actually using your gold to buy various other benefits. One idea I had is buying barricades and placing them where you wish before the battle begins (you would have to communicate this with me so I can set it up appropriately, of course), or purchasing beehives and putting them near the enemy army so they can take some stingers to the face.

I'm open for any other ideas that anyone may have, by the way. As I've said, this is just a test-thread to see if we can actually get a group and have a tournament.

And just to clarify, I will be posting videos of the battles.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Approved Member

Yeah I'd be happy to participate in this.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Approved Member

Sounds like fun, even if the AI is pretty bad.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Approved Member

Alrighttt, two more yays. Excellent.

At the moment, I could consider perhaps making a really tiny tournament if everyone was committed.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

This is the one and only bump I will give this thread before letting it die. I really want to get into this and since the game is out now there's been a tiny explosion of activity on the boards, so I'm hoping nobody will miss this. I honestly think this could be quite fun.

So...BUMP! Anyone else interested?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Approved Member

From our side I think we can organize prizes for this tournament (like t-shirt and free games).
Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike-it View Post
From our side I think we can organize prizes for this tournament (like t-shirt and free games).
Well, that should be enough of an incentive! How many people will we need for a tournament, RYTEDR?