Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Approved Member

Default The Bouncy Tacho.....

Had a fantastic day at the Duxford 'Flying Legends' Air display but I also had the privilige opf meeting and talking to Group Captain Peter Gilpin - CBE, DFC 253 Squadron who flew Spitfire's during the period 1940-45. He joined the RAF in the early part of 1940 (aged 19) and was a Squadron leader by the age of 21.

I asked him several questions relating to the Spitfire and the various Marks and, since I still see references to the Tacho vibration issue, took the opportunity to ask him about the accuracy and behaviour of the Tacho as this fitted in nicely with my conversation regarding Prop Pitch settings, Combat Cruise settings and the effectiveness of Miss Shillings Orifice.

He was absolutely adamant that the Tacho was stable and did not flutter or jump about. His only recollection of needle flutter was on the MKV's - the Merlin engine would vibrate at around 1800rpm. He said it was hardly noticeable as pilots would push through that very quickly and the Merlin would settle at around 1900 and above.

A most interesting day and fascinating to hear Peter Gilpin describing his combat experiences as a Spit pilot in the various Marks.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Approved Member

And that was also the finding of the research done that had the bouncy tacho removed just after release.