Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Mods

Mods Everything about mods

Old 10-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

By the way Matt, may I ask you a little question concerning AP? Does the hero has no choice when level up? I mean, in TL you can develop him the way you want, but in AP seems you always receive something fixed, like leadership upgrades or whatever.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:36 AM
Approved Member

Wink Great comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirlancelot View Post
No, happily I couldn't. The mana and rage gain limitations work great against it. You really have to take money and supplies into account.
I'm sure certain people can still do it no loss, but I'm glad it was a challenge for you as that was the intent!

Quote:
Such are great news! Now that you're at it, perhaps might rethink about Gizmo. Its resurrection feature is really needed versus enemy heroes, but overpowered against regular armies. Remember it is even able to resurrect black dragons, cyclops and so on. (I hope this was intended!)
Yep, resurrecting those creatures is the intent (I think I mentioned it in Gizmo's description that it can resurrect pretty much anything) and it focuses on level 5 troops first, since it "knows" that you cannot resurrect them.

The enemy heroes are much more powerful than the original TL and so I don't think it is possible to balance a non-enemy hero-led stack with an enemy hero-led stack (I have thought of the possibility of what to do with the gap since it widens as the game progresses), but I actually don't mind easier battles here and there since it helps take the pressure off and not make it so much of a grind and so the Spirit abilities (and Spell abilities for that matter) take in mind enemy hero fights (I treat them as Item fights) and so that is where the power comes from to help you push through those tough hero fights.

Plus, people will just kite around if things are too hard early (just like people do in the AP / CW / etc. and in WotN, I'd just fly around and snag all the goodies and purchase some good level 5 troops) and so it is nice that you don't have to do that too much (although it is nice to kite in Demonis the first time you get there to see what good troops and other goodies you can get).

I think with the mild increase in difficulty (actually hard is going to be closer to impossible, although not quite (say about 90% of what impossible currently is), and impossible is going to be about 25% harder than it is now) that the way I currently have things will work out - I'll see...

Quote:
Yes, that was my impression, too. The target of the bonuses is not clear enough. Where it goes and how applies. The way it works in practical terms. Hence the confusion.
Some of this comes from me inheriting the descriptions from the original game, in which some of them were poorly translated to English. I think I just need to read through them again (and since I haven't read them in years, it will be like reading them for almost the first time!) and make them clearer if they are confusing. Some of it, though, comes from having to be choosy with the wording since I don't have much room in the description as well...

Quote:
Balance out a mod like this is never easy. There're so many novelties and modifications to keep in mind. Bug fixing also requires unusual playtesting, as sometimes some bugs only appear under x circumstances, where x is not your usual playing route.
Yes, and sometimes when adding features, I break things accidentally, and although I do try to test to ensure that I haven't messed things up, sometimes I do miss things.

Balancing is tricky because it is different for every person. Make things too hard and then people don't want to play and the same with too easy. That's, of course, where the difficulty levels come in to play, but a one size fits all just doesn't exist and we, as humans, are very adaptable and often find strategies that are very effective compared to what the original developer intended.

So we'll see if I can squish some more bugs if I haven't found them, yet, and hopefully do a touch of refining, to what (in my biased opinion) is one of the best mods for TL!

Thanks again for all the comments!

Matt
Old 10-19-2017, 12:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
By the way Matt, may I ask you a little question concerning AP? Does the hero has no choice when level up? I mean, in TL you can develop him the way you want, but in AP seems you always receive something fixed, like leadership upgrades or whatever.
Yah - that's something I didn't like about how in AP it was just the automatic give you stuff on level up rather than have you choose.

I think since they scaled the hero level to increase more rapidly, they figured people didn't want to be bothered with having to choose something.

I like the TL way better, but I think it was a game engine choice, so I don't even think it would be possible to modify it - not sure.

Matt
Old 09-27-2021, 12:24 AM
Approved Member

Post New Release?

Hey, everyone, hope you're all doing well!

So I've been sitting on some changes to my mod now for almost 4 years, with most of the changes done about that time ago, but with King's Bounty 2 out, I've had the itch to go back and see what I've done and then I've been able to add some new features within the last month.

Unfortunately, I only have one day a week to work on it and I've had only enough time to playtest a current change to ensure that it works as intended.

I'd like to release a V1.0 of my mod, which would quite possibly be the last release I do, but I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing some play testing for me to see if there are no game breaking bugs.

So either post here, or PM me and I can send you an unreleased version if you are interested in trying it out.

Matt

P.S. I am playing KB2, but I only have time to play it once a week as well (and usually I have to alternate between modding or playing KB2). I'll post some potential changes in the change list post so that you can at least see what I've been working on...