Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

View Poll Results: So what texture sizes do you use ???
Original 62 60.19%
High 18 17.48%
Medium 23 22.33%
LOW 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Ali Fish

Default Texture Sizes !

a Poll to generate information on what texture sizes people are generally using. Or in other words what works with your system for stability and suitable performance ?

PLEASE INCLUDE details of your GRAPHICS CARD TYPE and onboard memory for that card.

Last edited by Ali Fish; 07-13-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Approved Member

original for me
Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Approved Member

Original.

Haven't tested the difference between the options graphics and performance wise so i don't know if that's the best choice.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Approved Member

I was having stutter problems with original. I put it down to medium and alot of the stuttering went bye bye.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Approved Member

Have only minor stutters left with the settings I have atm, no need for me to reduce textures to medium, as, imho, the visual appearance is significantly decreased with textures on medium only. So, I keep them on Original and go with the stutters (actually, the only recognizable stutters occur when my bullets hit another plane...).
Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Ali Fish

im thinking of putting out a half size resolution pack of textures for the key culprits. the texture memory drawn for them for me personally is just too much. if the majority of people use high then surely we can cope with a 1024 texture and not a 2048 which is an exponential increase in size and probally handling by the engine. also we could have an extra mipmap out at the horizon possibly making things even smoother transitionaly
Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

Wonderful idea, I am sure that a reduction from 2048 to 1024 regarding texture resolution would already lead to a huge improvement with little loss of quality... I think the textures would still look better than on medium with this decrease in resolution...
Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Approved Member

Medium setting.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Ali Fish

ive just halfed all the scenery based texture. and theres definetly some difference ! loading time has been cut to about 1/4 of the original time and ingame the stutter is reduced for me so far(but not eliminated). i think if i reduce the normal map details to half too and well nobody could actually argue against the performance increase v visual loss. i dont appear to be getting any FPS increase however. another aspect im seeing is a smoother scenery visually.

conclusion so far is that there is severe strain going on somwhere .possibly an issue with how these textures are being streamed in and out of the memory and not so much the amount of texture calls for massive files.

i was fine with medium before, now when i set high with the reduced texture pack, i get that similar improvment in performance with medium, but it definetly looks nicer. this will be an optional mod for sure guys benneficial for some, controvertial for others.

Last edited by Ali Fish; 07-13-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:45 PM
BigPickle

*Medium*

well I'm fully in agreeance with you Ali, 2040 is just ludicrous, Lord knows why the Dev's went with this. Here's to hoping its on the fix list, as well as a set view distance as at the moment people with Original Textures get a bigger view distance than those on low.

Last edited by BigPickle; 07-13-2011 at 03:47 PM.