Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Default Super Forum Thanks/Aviator joystick explained

Alright, this is the Goat's first post... And unfortunately it is going to be another joystick thread.

The reason why I want to post this is because there is a lot of misinformation about the Av8r - 02 for Xbox 360. I also need to thank a lot of forum members for making this Goat VERY happy and informed.

First... Here is the button mapping for the Av8r 02 for Xbox 360.

This is only for simulation mode because that is all I play.

Trigger: Guns
X= Bombs (Which we will not see until the release of the full game of course)
B = Rockets
Y = Flaps
LB = Map
LSB = Zoom
Back = Gear
The stick under the Xbox Light = Wingman commands
RSB = Change View
RB = Trim

By the way... I need to do away with a rumor on these forums:
On the Xbox 360 AV8R 02... THE RUDDER IS ANALOG

Please do not argue that fact. I've been playing for hours and the rudder is in fact analog. I believe the Av8r for PS3 may have issues. But not the one for 360.

My impressions from the AV8R... WONDERFUL flight stick. MODS are required to make the stick comfortable and more usable. Only thing I dislike... Of course the lack of a wheelbrake. I imagine this will be fixed by the time to full game releases. I also am not fond of the zoom placement. But it's usable. Everything else is absolutely wonderful. Works very well in your lap. It is a great alternative to the Hori and the Ace Edge if you don't want to rig up anything for the use of a separate throttle control.

TWO MUST HAVE MODS FOR THE AV8R.

First... The zipties around the springs are a must if you want better control. It helps alleviate problems with the deadzone too.

Second... Go buy a tennis grip to wrap the controller with. This is also a must.

(THANK YOU REVEREND AND OTHERS FOR PREVIOUS THREADS showing off how to do these mods)

Here are some pics... Even though they have been posted before.

And if you're SUPER awesome... Which I am not. Then you can do Reverend's button mod that he has posted in a previous thread. Requires a bit too much technical expertise for me.

Finally... I want to thank all of the awesome senior forum members for all of the info I have learned. You guys know your stuff!!! I was not familiar with WW2 planes before coming to these forums. Reading posts from people like Soviet Ace have really opened my eyes as far as WW2 aviation and knowledge goes.

Finally a semi realistic sim comes to console... This makes for a VERY happy Goat. I really never thought that a game like this was going to come. Thank you all for the great info!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Approved Member

Hm, so xbox users get a working rudder and ps3 users get a porked on/off rudder?

Can this be fixed?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzychickens View Post
Hm, so xbox users get a working rudder and ps3 users get a porked on/off rudder?

Can this be fixed?
Thats because the PS3's AV8R-03 has dual throttles using L2 and R2. The Xbox360's AV8R-02 has only one throttle using RT, leaving the LT for the Stick twist.

It might well be the PS3's programing is recognising the Stick twist of the AV8R-03 as a digital input, if thats the case then not much can be done to fix it. How do other PS3 games control with the stick twist? is it ever analog? what buttons on the gamepad is it assigned to?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Approved Member

Great post mate, I was just asking about this today, thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

What a great thread. This has really helped me decide which stick to get. Thanks Goat.

Question, you didn't say which button controls the look around. Is it the little nob above the X, A, and B buttons? Seems like a great place for it but is it really as simple as move it and it looks around? Or does it need to be clicked in to engage as well?

Thanks again for the thread.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elguapo123 View Post
What a great thread. This has really helped me decide which stick to get. Thanks Goat.

Question, you didn't say which button controls the look around. Is it the little nob above the X, A, and B buttons? Seems like a great place for it but is it really as simple as move it and it looks around? Or does it need to be clicked in to engage as well?

Thanks again for the thread.
Yeah its the little hat stick, tip from me it to invert camera look from the options menu so that down on the stick is look up (seems more natural to me oddly).
Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Jareth View Post
Yeah its the little hat stick, tip from me it to invert camera look from the options menu so that down on the stick is look up (seems more natural to me oddly).
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm an invert too.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, it's the anolog stick on top.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

One of the complaints I've read a few times is the frustration with the rudder requiring a twist of the stick. A few have said it really leaves their wrist aching. Does it bother the rest of you too? Or do you just get used to it?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elguapo123 View Post
One of the complaints I've read a few times is the frustration with the rudder requiring a twist of the stick. A few have said it really leaves their wrist aching. Does it bother the rest of you too? Or do you just get used to it?
My wrist would get fatigued pretty quick until I wrapped a tennis grip around the stick. Now it doesn't bother me at all.